You have to burn 1000 cal a day to lose 2 pounds in one week

I made a huge revelation tonight you guys probably already know this. You have to burn thousand calories a day to to lose 2 pounds in one week. I thought you just had to eat less like 1200 cal. But really for me to burn 1000 cal a day, I have to exercise for about two hours a day or take a class at the gym and go on the treadmill for a little bit. Why did I never know this before? I've been stuck at the same weight for eight weeks, I've definitely not been burning and additional1000 cal a day. I had a body analysis done at golds gym and my basal metabolism rate is 1300 cal a day I'm really shortto maintain my current weight

Replies

• allyalexandria
    allyalexandria Posts: 39 Member
    I made a huge revelation tonight you guys probably already know this. You have to burn thousand calories a day to to lose 2 pounds in one week. I thought you just had to eat less like 1200 cal. But really for me to burn 1000 cal a day, I have to exercise for about two hours a day or take a class at the gym and go on the treadmill for a little bit. Why did I never know this before? I've been stuck at the same weight for eight weeks, I've definitely not been burning and additional1000 cal a day. I had a body analysis done at golds gym and my basal metabolism rate is 1300 cal a day I'm really shortto maintain my current weight
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Unless you are significantly overweight, a 2 lb/week loss is much too agressive anyways ...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Or you could reduce your calories by 1000, which is only advisable if you have a lot to lose, or you could burn 500 calories in the gym and reduce your calories by 500.

You don't look like you have over 50lbs to lose in your profile pic, so 2lbs per week may not be the healthiest route to take..
  • JohnDavid1969
    JohnDavid1969 Posts: 34 Member
    Excellent chart. And yes, MFP's "calories burned" calculations are way, WAY off. It overestimates like crazy.
  • dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    It's like @seska422 said. It's not about burning, it's about the difference.

A pound of fat 'costs' 3500 calories, to lose or gain. However you achieve that deficit (or surplus) throughout your week is really up to you.

Exercising is cool though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2016

Your BMR, or basal metabolism rate is 1300, is the amount you eat just to stay alive and has nothing to do with weight loss. A 1000 calorie deficit would be based on your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

What is your TDEE? What is your height, weight, and how much do you have to lose?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You burn calories by just existing...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Why did I never know this before?
    Because it's not true!
    Needing a 1000cal a day deficit is not the same as "You have to burn 1000 cal a day to lose 2 pounds in one week".

If your profile picture is a current picture then there is no way that 2lb/week weight loss goal is appropriate, especially if you are short.
    BMR isn't what you need to concern yourself about, TDEE is what you need to undercut to lose weight.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Why would you want to lose 2lbs a week? It seems you're at or close to optimum weight?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016

No that's not true. I am curious about what you read that said you had to "burn it" as in exercise only? What this source did not tell you is that you burn calories all day long through BMR, NEAT (non exercise activity), TEF (thermo effect from food) and EAT (exercise activity). All four of these makes up your total TDEE.

Your calorie deficit (if 1200 is what you are eating now) already has your calorie deficit to lose weight built in that, if you exercise, that is additional calorie burns helping you meet your deficit, the key in MFP is that a person is supposed to NET calorie goal including the exercise calories (portion thereof).

Sometimes this jargon is a little over the top until you learn how all of this works in the very beginning of setting and trying to obtain weight loss and fitness goals.

Now you have stalled at 1200 calories? Perhaps this is set at 2 pounds loss and sedentary? If your profile is up to date, losing 2 pounds per week is very aggressive.

I am curious how long you have been eating 1200 calories? How many pounds you have lost in total since you started losing? I would take a look at the flow chart above. It has the basic points to follow when determining what may be occurring with your weight loss now.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Excellent chart. And yes, MFP's "calories burned" calculations are way, WAY off. It overestimates like crazy.

not for all it doesn't.
    MFP Calorie burns were always bang on for me...
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    No, you have to use 1000 calories more than you take in per day.
    That's across all activities you do, not just exercise.
    If you sit on your behind all day, you can still use more calories than you take in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited September 2016
    You have to consume 1000 calories per day less than you burn...you burn friggin' calories 24/7...most of your burn is you being alive...then you daily...then exercise. If you're eating 1200 calories per day, that is significantly fewer calories than your body is already burning just existing and doing your daily...those 1300 basal calories you mention...those are the calories you burn merely existing on this planet without doing anything at all...you would burn those calories in a coma doing nothing.

Example...let's say you need 2000 calories per day to maintain the status quo...if you're eating 1200 calories, you have an 800 calorie deficit...aka you're burning more calories than you're taking in...and because of this, you burn fat to make up the difference...body fat is just stored energy.