Advice on carbs and fat ratio

Options
Ok so in the last 4 weeks I've maintained my weight and body fat % even with adding 700 calories in that time frame. I boosted my calories to 4000 non training days and 4500 on training days. Now in doing this it jumped my proteins up which I didn't want cause I try to keep them around 1 pound per pound of body weight. Where should I add carbs or fats or what? Just looking for different opinions.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can add fat or carbs. Looking at your diary, you have some good flexibility. If you want to reduce proteins a bit, I would take away from the double scoop of whey. If you want, you can time some of your nutrients around your workout to see if that would improve performance, especially since you are lean.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Carbs will make your workouts better. Fats should mostly stay around 0.5 per pound. If you follow a traditional diet.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Carbs will make your workouts better. Fats should mostly stay around 0.5 per pound. If you follow a traditional diet.

That would mean I have to eat alot more carbs. It's hard to do without a ton of sugars. That interesting though I didn't know the traditional diet with the .5 thank you answer
  • psuLemon
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »

That would mean I have to eat alot more carbs. It's hard to do without a ton of sugars. That interesting though I didn't know the traditional diet with the .5 thank you answer

Whats wrong with sugar? I limit added sugars but go to town on some fruit. And sugars are highly beneficial in a bulk.
  • BigJes37
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Whats wrong with sugar? I limit added sugars but go to town on some fruit. And sugars are highly beneficial in a bulk.

To a certain extent yes but going overboard can excess body fat gain. I'm ok and know there will be some fat gain in a bulk but just try to minimize what I can.
  • BigJes37
    Options
    You can add fat or carbs. Looking at your diary, you have some good flexibility. If you want to reduce proteins a bit, I would take away from the double scoop of whey. If you want, you can time some of your nutrients around your workout to see if that would improve performance, especially since you are lean.

I do appreciate your feedback thank you.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    One more thing to add - in the context of your question, if you want to limit protein, then you have two options... carbs or fats. If you don't want sugar (new variable) you are largely going to be left with fats.

If you really want to get overly pedantic, dietary fats will convert to body fat more easily than carbs due to them being lipid. Also, overfeeding studies have shown that carbs are less likely to be converted to fat due to de novo lipogenesis. But that is just going down a rabbit hole at that point. It's semantics and may not matter too much.
  • BigJes37
    Options

To a certain extent yes but going overboard can excess body fat gain. I'm ok and know there will be some fat gain in a bulk but just try to minimize what I can.

The size of your surplus is what controls fat gains, not necessarily the composition of your calories. Carbs spike insulin. Insulin actives mTOR which is one driver of protein synthesis (Leucine and mechanical stress is the others). This in turn will drive muscle growth. Additionally, sugars and carbs prevent degradation of protein. Which means it's less likely to converted to glucose, meaning it will be utilize to rebuild muscle mass instead of being converted to energy.

With that said, there are plenty of high carb/lower sugar foods if you want to go that approach; quinoa, oats, rice, potatoes. But if you aren't comfortable with that, you will have to go fats.

Very interested I like this. I will look more into it. I've done alot of those carbs but when consuming alot of food eating becomes a major chore so lately I been trying to drink my foods and eating faster.
  • BigJes37
    Options
    One more thing to add - in the context of your question, if you want to limit protein, then you have two options... carbs or fats. If you don't want sugar (new variable) you are largely going to be left with fats.

If you really want to get overly pedantic, dietary fats will convert to body fat more easily than carbs due to them being lipid. Also, overfeeding studies have shown that carbs are less likely to be converted to fat due to de novo lipogenesis. But that is just going down a rabbit hole at that point. It's semantics and may not matter too much.

Not actually trying to limit protein it's just with the increase of calories I was going to keep protein where there at thus needing to increase carbs/fats. Great info. I've always just tested things on myself over the last 15 years and seen how my body reacts. When cutting I've found carb cycling worked well for me and I've tried high fa low carbs also but really haven't seen the same results.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html

You may find this interesting. And by all means, utilize methods that you find beneficial. There are various reason why something works better than another method; dietary compliance being a huge part of that.
  • BigJes37
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html

You may find this interesting. And by all means, utilize methods that you find beneficial. There are various reason why something works better than another method; dietary compliance being a huge part of that.

Your thoughts on dairy and it lowering testosterone in men?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Haven't really seen any concrete studies that would suggest causation. The bigger concern would to very low dietary fat, since fat is a hormone regulator.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If that is you in your profile picture, I am surprised you have achieved an impressive physical with pitifully minimal knowledge on nutrition.

Calories > macronutrients > meal timing

Keep protein at 1g/lb if thats what you feel is good for you, fats at 0.4g/lb as a minimum for hormonal function and then carbs. Personally I like higher fats and lower carbs so I'm not constantly full.
  • BigJes37
    Options

Haven't really seen any concrete studies that would suggest causation. The bigger concern would to very low dietary fat, since fat is a hormone regulator.

Yes would agree.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If that is you in your profile picture, I am surprised you have achieved an impressive physical with pitifully minimal knowledge on nutrition.

Keep protein at 1g/lb if thats what you feel is good for you, fats at 0.4g/lb as a minimum for hormonal function and then carbs. Personally I like higher fats and lower carbs so I'm not constantly full.

One does not need to have advanced knowledge of nutrition or training to achieve a fantastic physique. Many people have coaches who detail all the information out for them. It doesn't mean its any less impressive.
  • trigden1991
    edited September 2016
    Options
    One does not need to have advanced knowledge of nutrition or training to achieve a fantastic physique. Many people have coaches who detail all the information out for them. It doesn't mean its any less impressive.

I have no idea how or why someone would follow a coach blindly without absorbing an iota of information on macro's. I do not disagree that it is still impressive.
  • BigJes37
    Options

Sorry if it sounds pitiful to you. No matter anyone's research or study they may read it's not always full proof. The body is a unique thing. I've disproved many theories with my own experiences over 15+ years of using myself as a test subject. I don't have degrees but have friends that do and who I turn to. It's all been trial and error for me some good some very bad. That profile pic came at a show I decided to do 12 weeks out at 12.8% bf and 218 lbs in that pic I was 5.5% 195lbs. I did that with the carb cycling method and with the help of my friend on the nutritional parts. I'm still learning and hence the reason for the post. I've put on 30 lbs of lean muscle throughout my years on a very poor genetic frame. Thanks for your judgement.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I have no idea how or why someone would follow a coach blindly without absorbing an iota of information on macro's. I do not disagree that it is still impressive.

I would challenge the ignorance that they aren't picking up on information. It's obviously that the OP has a solid foundation of how to do things, even if he doesn't exactly know why everything is occurring. Considering the vast amount of conflicting evidence out there, especially in the bodybuilding world, it can be difficult to sift through all the data to determine why something is working. Ultimately, why something is working may not be as big of a concern to a person as the results. I have worked with several people. When they ask why, I give them why I believe it's working. But many of them are more concerned with the result, as opposed to the science behind it.
  • trigden1991
    Options

Sorry if it sounds pitiful to you. No matter anyone's research or study they may read it's not always full proof. The body is a unique thing. I've disproved many theories with my own experiences over 15+ years of using myself as a test subject. I don't have degrees but have friends that do and who I turn to. It's all been trial and error for me some good some very bad. That profile pic came at a show I decided to do 12 weeks out at 12.8% bf and 218 lbs in that pic I was 5.5% 195lbs. I did that with the carb cycling method and with the help of my friend on the nutritional parts. I'm still learning and hence the reason for the post. I've put on 30 lbs of lean muscle throughout my years on a very poor genetic frame. Thanks for your judgement.

You lost 7% bodyfat, 6lbs of lean mass and got down to sub 6% in 12 weeks?