Too Much Protein?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    From a quick skim if the first few points, the article is more about eating very low carb and the 'peoblems' with doing that.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Just for a real world example. Yesterday I ate 223 grams of protein which I think most people on here would consider to be a lot. Thing is I also hit my dietary fiber and I also ate 189 grams of carbs. I do not have stinky breath, I do not have GI issues, I do not have low energy or a crappy mood. That is because I still eat carbs. One can eat protein AND carbs.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_k123 pretty much said it all.. the article is wrong in so many areas.

People with pre-existing kidney issues need to watch protein intake but high protein diets have never been shown to cause Kidney damage.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/

• Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Aaron_k123 pretty much said it all.. the article is wrong in so many areas.

People with pre-existing kidney issues need to watch protein intake but high protein diets have never been shown to cause Kidney damage.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/

I think you probably could cause damage to yourself if you ate like a ridiculous amount of protein (ie like 1500 grams daily) something that your body couldn't fully process. I could see that maybe stressing your kidneys if kept long term. Then again you'd also be packing on pounds and having all sorts of other issues while doing so. Its just not a real world problem.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I strive for at least 120 grams a day...no issues at all..

I agree with Aaron..crap article
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I got down to number 3 and stopped reading... :(
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Basically all the problems it talks about are from low carb, not from high protein with the exception of #4 which would take an insanely high protein intake and #5 which is just totally off topic.

Whoops, I meant "with the exception of #3". Also kidney damage with very high protein is more an issue if you already have kidney issues.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This article is a perfect example on where not to get nutritional info.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    No wonder there is so much misinformation out there when there are articles like this
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    These have already been explained somewhat, but...

#1 - This is from ketosis, which means low carb and is even less likely to happen with high protein because high protein can sometimes prevent ketosis.
    #2 - Sounds like "keto flu" from ketosis... again, low carb. Not just low carb, but also not managing electrolytes for a low carb diet.
    #3 - Yes, at extreme amounts for very long periods of time. It happens... but how many women are eating 250g of protein every day for 10 years?! Bringing it up does more as a scare tactic than as an actual PSA.
    #4 - Not exactly... quick changes to how you eat will do this, but increasing existing food by reasonable quantities doesn't. Since I'm "fat adapted" and normally don't eat heavy carb amounts, I experience this same issue when I do eat a lot of carbs. 100g-200g or more of carbs just means I spend a lot of time on the porcelain throne. I expect the opposite to be true for someone going from eating heavy carbs to low carb (or any other sudden dietary change).
    #5 - "if you're going hard on the egg whites and whey protein without cutting out other stuff" *Emphasis added* - Well of course! If you add food and don't decrease other food to make up for it, then it is rational that someone will gain weight! On the other hand, if you eat more protein and fewer other foods, that is a different story. Really?!
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was just browsing online about protein info because I've been going over according to my macros. Just wanted see the effects of too much protein.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was just browsing online about protein info because I've been going over according to my macros. Just wanted see the effects of too much protein.

"going over" what you told a website to give you as a goal doesn't mean its dangerous. You told MFP what you wanted and it gave it to you, its not a medical diagnosis. Its not dangerous, you are fine. If anything eating more protein in your diet will likely help with satiation (ie you will feel more full on less calories). The internet probably not the most reliable source of information on the topic I'm afraid.

Out of curiosity how much protein are you eating in terms of grams? As an example for point of comparison yesterday looks like I ate 223 grams....slightly under my goal.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Whew, talk about totally misleading.

Did anyone check what their recommended protein intake should be?
    Little old me got 36g!!!!! (That was at active)
    At my age consuming so little, more so if I was sedentary, would soon lead to muscular/skeletal problems.

I average just under x3 that amount and haven't had any of the problems mentioned.

Cheers, h.

• Aaron_K123
    Options

At my age consuming so little, more so if I was sedentary, would soon lead to muscular/skeletal problems.

I average just under x3 that amount and haven't had any of the problems mentioned.

Cheers, h.

The funny thing to me is that the tool they link to has "Tolerable Upper Intake Levels" for some of the things you can search for. Like if you ask how much iron to get there is a "Tolerable Upper Intake Level" which is basically saying don't go over this because over this could be a problem. If you put in protein there is no Tolerable Upper Intake Level. Gee, isn't that interesting....the tool that the article decided to link to doesn't seem to think that there is a "maximum" safe dose for protein. Perhaps because there isn't.

29ewi64pujwq.png

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    At peak bulk I was averaging 270g of protein. No health issues, bloods are normal.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Cheers, h.

Yeah mine was 48.

Osteoporosis is popular among the women in my family..

So I am going with this, a higher protein need might actually prevent the loss of bone mineral density. :)
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    TIL that "Women's Health" magazine can, despite the name, publish bro-science.

That and that the DRI expects me to be shoving a ton of bread, pasta, and potatoes into my gullet.

301l692gra6b.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Most educated people who eat low carb eat low carb, MODERATE protein, and high fat.
    The article wasn't about too much protein, it was hype about low carb.

Ignorant article.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    TIL that "Women's Health" magazine can, despite the name, publish bro-science.

That and that the DRI expects me to be shoving a ton of bread, pasta, and potatoes into my gullet.

301l692gra6b.png

Note that none of the macros have a maximum tolerated dose.

I honestly don't think the dietary guideline calculator thingy is that bad, although it is odd that it gives carbs and fat as a range but gives you a single value for protein.

That said if you are trying to lose weight it is a good idea to up your protein to try to counteract any lean mass losses.