Deadlifts on mats

Options
My gym has implemented a new *heavy deadlifts to be done on gym mats* policy. Like the thick, 2" red gym mats.
I tried it and it felt spongy, just wrong and hard to set up for sumo style, which is my favourite style. My pointed toes were half on the mat at this stance.
Anyone else have to do this? They were going around enforcing it to all the lifters this morning, moi included. Frustrating!

Replies

• gym4life2
    gym4life2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Could you set the plates on the mats, and then between the mats put a board the same thickness?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Time to find a new gym?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Complain.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why are people dropping the weights anyway..? I do deads at home on hardwood and have never "dropped" it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My guess is it's because people are dropping the weight. Can't blame the gym.

That said, I'm not sure it's safe to do floor lifts on an unstable surface. As others have suggested, I would put mats underneath the plates, but keep your feet on the bare floor.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if possible, rearrange the mats so that they are only under the weights, and not where you stand.

^^^^^ This!!

Move the mats so just under the plates, Feet on the ground. Weight will negate some of the increase in height.

You need your feet on a solid grounded base. If the gym refuse, and do not understand that, time to go find a real gym
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Time to find a new gym?

This.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Can you push the mats further apart so that the plates are close to the edge of the mats? That will give more room under the bar for your sumo stance. Before my gym got a deadlift platform and bumper plates I used foam mats in this way when deadlifting (the plates don't have to line up with the middle of the mats)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    try conventional?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Time to find a new gym?

^This!
    try conventional?

? Will make no difference. You need a hard surface to "press the floor away from you" when you Deadlift.

• grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I will see if I can get the mats under just the edge of the mat so I can get my sumo feet off of it. I haven't seen any dropping when I'm there a 0'dark-stupid but who knows what happens the other 23hrs of the day.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Time to find a new gym?

^This!
    try conventional?

? Will make no difference. You need a hard surface to "press the floor away from you" when you Deadlift.

She said her feet were half on half off, implying (to me) the mats weren't under her, just her sumo stance was wide enough to have her feet on the mats.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'VE seen it time and again people start bouncing every rep. When I was powerlifting you would get a red light if you drop the weight. Ask the gym to get a mat big enough to completel extended past the plates. Not just the little squares I have seen at so many gym's. You can't blame the gym. There is a lot if expense involved in keeping a gym up. I see guys dropping heavy bum bells all the time and have seen then break because of that.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    Thanks all. I will see if I can get the mats under just the edge of the mat so I can get my sumo feet off of it. I haven't seen any dropping when I'm there a 0'dark-stupid but who knows what happens the other 23hrs of the day.

Haha! That made me laugh.

I agree that stable ground is necessary for your own safety. Can't believe they were actually enforcing it. I'm guessing that after a few complaints they'll let up a bit and not be so strict.
  • gym4life2
    gym4life2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Conventional or sumo, you need a solid footing. As for dropping the weight....I don't think anyone is ""dropping"" it, but there is no reason to control the negative. Just make sure you keep your hands on the bar....for safety reasons. Try spacing the mats, but then you need to stand on something to keep the height correct, or you are then doing a different lift, which is OK too
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »

haha yah 0'dark stupid is a friend of mine too...

If they can (I use them at home) ask them to get the firmer mats...you know those colorful ones...lots use black under treadmills etc...interlocking.
    gym4life2 wrote: »
    Conventional or sumo, you need a solid footing. As for dropping the weight....I don't think anyone is ""dropping"" it, but there is no reason to control the negative. Just make sure you keep your hands on the bar....for safety reasons. Try spacing the mats, but then you need to stand on something to keep the height correct, or you are then doing a different lift, which is OK too

sure there is a reason to control the negative...

1. You aren't dropping the weights and cracking floors
    2. you get a better burn and build better...

Always control the negative as much as the positive...if you don't you are doing half a workout.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    gym4life2 wrote: »

There's no need to do half the lift?
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options

[/quote]

She said her feet were half on half off, implying (to me) the mats weren't under her, just her sumo stance was wide enough to have her feet on the mats. [/quote]
    Yep, this is what I was trying to say
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that after a few complaints they'll let up a bit and not be so strict.

Hope so.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    I'VE seen it time and again people start bouncing every rep. When I was powerlifting you would get a red light if you drop the weight. Ask the gym to get a mat big enough to completel extended past the plates. Not just the little squares I have seen at so many gym's. You can't blame the gym. There is a lot if expense involved in keeping a gym up. I see guys dropping heavy bum bells all the time and have seen then break because of that.

Or they could do buy (build) deadlift platforms with plywood and mats. Way cheaper than floor repairs and keep customers happy.