Need advice on a device

Options
Robotscallmecoty
Robotscallmecoty Posts: 24 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Looking for an accurate HR monitor that measures HR, Calories burned and Distance/pedometer. There are so many options. I also wouldn't mind it linking to MFP. Any suggestions or brands you suggest I avoid? My workouts are primarily lifting and light jogging and cross country hiking.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can buy on a shelf is going to give you a remotely accurate guess for calories burned from weight lifting.

For jogging and hiking, you can get a pretty good calorie estimate without a device if you know your weight and the distance you traveled and the elevation gain you did. You don't need HR data to have a reasonable idea of the calories you've burned. For hiking I don't think HR data would even help because your HR isn't elevated enough. But knowing your HR can be useful while you jog.

I'd personally recommend something with GPS because you said you want to know how much distance you've covered. You'll have different stride lengths when you jog vs when you walk vs when you hike on different types of terrain, so just knowing how many steps you did won't tell you how far you went.

I love my Fenix 3 and it's been invaluable for hiking. But it's pricey and there are less expensive options that also work very well.
  • Robotscallmecoty
    Robotscallmecoty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know that no device can give me actuals but in an effort to be more accountable while calorie counting I am trying to put a pin at least close to my calories burned.
  • bocedos2
    bocedos2 Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I use a polar m400 and I know that has a GPS in it as well as counting calories and what % of calories burned is from Fat. It comes with a heart rate monitor you strap around your chest which is suppose to be more accurate than the wrist. I love mine and ive had a Samsung and 2 fitbits that I've returned bc they werent accurate
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I assume about 250 kCals per hour for the strength training I do. I paid $650 for my GPS watch with a chest strap HRM, it's the best calories from HR formula available, and I still don't trust it for lifting weights. I don't know that much of the science, just enough to know that how your body gets energy for weight lifting is drastically unlike how it gets energy for cardio, so the programming in HRMs just doesn't work for weights.

If your goal is to lose weight, assume zero calories burned. If your goal is to bulk up, assume 250 to 300 per hour. You'll never get this perfectly right, so it's better to err on the side of achieving your goals.

I really do like the Garmin watch for running. :smile:
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Something like the fitbit flex would be good for the jogging / hiking, but not lifting. For the lifting, try MapMyFitness - workouts there will give you a rough idea of your calorie burn. Unfortunately, MapMyfitness doesn't tie directly to MFP. You'd have to enter the data yourself. Fit bit, however, synchs directly with MFP
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner (with GPS, soft strap HM for running and it is my activity tracker in one), but the HR for strength training.. not really use that for that.. I can if I might be doing circuit style strength training..

There a huge difference between a 160.00 device and something that 650.00.. Whats your budget? And what might you be leaning towards as far the manufacturer you like best?