Sugar cravings

Options
I'm getting regular cravings for sugar especially chocolate what do people do so they don't ruin their diet?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm getting regular cravings for sugar especially chocolate what do people do so they don't ruin their diet?

Having a piece of chocolate doesn't ruin anything...I eat dark chocolate almost every night for desert...doesn't ruin anything.

Beyond that, have some fruit or something.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Regular cravings - incorporate.
    Increasing cravings - avoid.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Having a piece of chocolate doesn't ruin anything...I eat dark chocolate almost every night for desert...doesn't ruin anything.

How much do you have?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

How much do you have?

I can't answer for this poster but I can answer for myself: Whatever I have room for. Do I have room for 260 calories of Haagen Dasz chocolate ice cream? Do I have room for a 75 calorie truffle? A 40 calorie fudge bar? I keep things around in single serve portions so if I want them, I can have them...and I know when to stop.

I'm 96lbs down today. I've had chocolate when I craved, as well as any other food. I pay attention to nutrition, but I'd go insane if I couldn't indulge in other things. But I only eat those things in quantities that fit into my daily goal. Find a balance, do a little planning and you'll succeed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options

How much do you have?

He's a 180 lb guy who does exercise regularly. He can eat more than you can, most likely.

If you can eat a small amount of chocolate and work it into your daily goals, do so. If it is causing you distress - you're going to have to figure out why that is. Chocolate isn't evil. It's just food. Log it into your food diary and enjoy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

How much do you have?

What is appropriate for me is going to be different than what's appropriate for you...you just need to look at your diary and see what you can fit in...for me, it was one of those things that was worth it for my sanity.

Right now I'm really enjoying these dark chocolate covered mangos...they are rather calorie dense, but I love them...it's about 180 calories for 1.5 ounces which is a nice little desert...nothing over the top. When I was dieting I tended towards just having a square of dark chocolate and would usually only have desert a few nights per week...I'm in maintenance now and I'm a 180 Lb male who exercises regularly so my calorie targets are going to be quite a bit different from yours...I need around 3000 calories per day to maintain my weight.

Keep in mind also that I've been at this good livin' stuff for over four years...there's always an adjustment at the beginning and I had to basically learn that I didn't need chocolates and candy all of the time and to savor them as treats...but yeah, sometimes the best cure for a craving is to just have a little...some people have a hard time moderating that and others don't.

I generally satisfy my sweet tooth with fruit though...I have two to three servings per day.
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to it if I had a good day its a way to reward myself depending on if I have the calories. Sometimes its a 100 calorie ice cup and other times a piece of milk chocolate. Deprivation will ruin your diet quicker than anything just work it into your calorie/macro goal. I found that if I forbid food then I will binge. Portion control is key. The bag says 6 pieces I have 1-2 according to my caloric goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by craving, when do you have it, how specific is it (is it just for chocolate or specific treats that are around or something you used to eat), and what happens when you have it? All that is relevant to the answer.

It's easy to get small pieces of high quality chocolate with about 50 calories. If you would be satisfied with one of them, that's an idea. I've also been turned onto lately to a non-sweetened chocolate drink made with ground chocolate beans. That also could hit a craving and is low cal (I am drinking it in the mornings because I'm cutting down on coffee).

Also, if what you mean by craving is you just like to have a little something sweet after dinner, you can save calories. If you mean that you struggle when seeing foods you find tempting between meals, even without being hungry and end up eating them and going over calories, there are ways to work on that.

I also agree with ksharma that getting enough sleep and exercise can help a lot with cravings or simply temptations unrelated to hunger--lots of people turn to sweets to wake themselves up or for stress release.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I just found out about Halo Top ice cream. You get it at Whole Foods, but it may be stocked elsewhere. You can also buy it online from the company. One entire pint (4 of the 1/2 cup servings), costs you 240 calories. I like it. Expensive but with to stock it for "binge" moments.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Yes it's mainly chocolate or something sweet after dinner x
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

How about a sucking candy?
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I too am getting sugar cravings lately, is it the season change? Anyway, I used to be ok with eating one square of dark chocolate but now I find I eat an entire bar :neutral: I have the calories available but I used to eat a regular food snack - now its consumed with some kind of sweets, usually ice cream. I did find the "ice cream" thats mainly protein called Arctic Zero, it has 150 calories per pint - its alright I suppose, the biggest downer is its 5.00 a pint!

Maybe a chewing or sucking candy is the way to go, I need to stop eating as much sweets as I have been - it doesn't matter if I have the calories or not I don't feel I should be eating a full chocolate bar or 500 calories worth of ice cream! :disappointed:
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    L Glutamine helped me a lot for my sugar cravings.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When I get sugar cravings... I eat sugar. Brownies after dinner tonight. It was glorious. And all kept within caloric ranges-- that's the trick. Chocolate isn't BAD... it's made up of fats and carbs and other nutrients same as any other food (unless you're anti-sugar... but that's nutrition combat territory saved for debate)-- it doesn't have a magical property to ruin anything fat loss related unless you pound it in quantities that blow your caloric deficit... just like any other food.

In short, if you want something sweet and don't have issues with sugar... indulge as needed and within your caloric restraints.

As noted, fruit is always a great option as it carries the good stuff like micronutrients and fiber.
  • Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Allowing sugar in your diet is different for everybody. I for one am a sugar addict. I can't eat one piece without eating the whole thing and then moving on to something else sweet. It's a horrible thing that I have tried to conquer my entire life. If I eat the cookie I go back for more and then continue with the poor eating the next day and the next day and so forth. I can't have sugar if I want to stay on track with my healthy eating. I wish I could because I love sweets. But it is honestly like crack cocaine for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Given that, it doesn't sound so bad. Can you plan in a little chocolate after dinner? I find that it's easy not to overeat after a healthy, balanced dinner, and you can get little squares of high quality chocolate and eat them with full appreciation -- that often is enough to be satisfying for me.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Jazzykatt wrote: »
    Allowing sugar in your diet is different for everybody. I for one am a sugar addict. I can't eat one piece without eating the whole thing and then moving on to something else sweet. It's a horrible thing that I have tried to conquer my entire life. If I eat the cookie I go back for more and then continue with the poor eating the next day and the next day and so forth. I can't have sugar if I want to stay on track with my healthy eating. I wish I could because I love sweets. But it is honestly like crack cocaine for me.

Lack of self control does not equal addiciton.

The claim that your desire for sweets is as powerful as a cocaine addiction would be laughable if it weren't so offensive to those whose lives have actually been affected by drug addiction.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Given that, it doesn't sound so bad. Can you plan in a little chocolate after dinner? I find that it's easy not to overeat after a healthy, balanced dinner, and you can get little squares of high quality chocolate and eat them with full appreciation -- that often is enough to be satisfying for me.

Ya, I eat a 70 calorie Ghirardelli square after dinner and another before bed. I nibble at it really slowly, and let the chocolate dissolve in my mouth. My sweet tooth/chocolate itch is completely satisfied when I'm done.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Would having a small by of choc daily harm weight loss?