Deadlift benefits let me know your thoughts

Options
13»

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    They always make my back hurt like hell the day after, but so worth it. Since I incorporated them, my hamstrings and glutes have popped significantly (although it could be the hip thrusts too, incorporated them around the same time). It's all about the form. Make sure you keep your legs stiff, strong and clench your muscles. Go slow, don't just pop the bar up and down quickly.

I had this as I started lifting heavier. I tried a lifting belt for the first time last week, deadlifted 300 lbs, and no sore back! I'm definitely purchasing my own lifting belt as I continue on.

Oh I'm gonna have to try that! My problem may also be that I do them on my power leg day and then do a more upper back/shoulder oriented work out the following day and they kind of clash together and use those already sore muscles. Definitely trying out the belt though! Thank you :)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,695 Member
    Options
    The best part about the deadlift is how much it applies to real life. Honestly, how often do you have occasion to lie on your back and push a heavy weight off your chest? Now contrast that to how often we deadlift things in real life: pick up socks from the floor, pick up a sleeping child, pick up a chair to move to a different room. Sure, they may sound very light weight, but you're also deadlifting when you help pick up a couch or television.

Not familiar with 5th Edition. I'm a child of 2nd Edition back in the early 90's. I bought up all the 3rd Edition books in college, but couldn't find anybody to play, so they barely got used. When versions 3.5 and 4 came out I already had a family and my social life outside of home had disappeared, so I never bothered. But per 2nd Edition rules, where "real life" strength could be gauged based upon how much you could lift over your head, I was a 17. Per your 5th edition rule, I'm only a 14. I like 2nd edition better, lol. (Admittedly my deadlift has always been weaker than it should be based upon my squat, mostly due to technical form issues.)
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    They always make my back hurt like hell the day after, but so worth it. Since I incorporated them, my hamstrings and glutes have popped significantly (although it could be the hip thrusts too, incorporated them around the same time). It's all about the form. Make sure you keep your legs stiff, strong and clench your muscles. Go slow, don't just pop the bar up and down quickly.

Your back shouldn't be hurting - check your form or lift with a belt if you are going heavy
  • jolive7
    Options
    The main benefit of the deadlift is to feel like an absolute badass.. Nothing better than pumping some heavy rap music, chalking up, tightening the belt and pulling crazy amounts of weight off the floor..

Don't worry about the weight, I started on 20kg too and have since added an additional 100 to that :wink:
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    aashwill wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    aashwill wrote: »
    The deadlift is a great lift because you can directly translate it to what your strength score would be in 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons. According to the ability scores section in the Player's Handbook (pg. 176) a PC can push, drag, or lift up to 30 times their strength score in pounds, so all you need to do it divide your deadlift 1RM in pounds by 30 and you get your STR. I have a STR of 14, which would make me a mediocre level 1 fighter assuming I was proficient in martial weapons.

I have no idea what this means because it's from a different nerd subgroup than my own but now I would like to learn more about D&D.

5th Edition is apparently pretty straightforward and simplified compared to previous editions and some other RPGs. My wife and I started last year and taught each other, now we both run and play in multiple games a week. Your local game store probably hosts WoTC organized play, which is a good way to get in if you don't have any other friends who play already. (Like all these nerdy hobies, however, you never know what types of people are oing to join the table. That's why we like running games with friends.)

HARRISBURG
    A
    R
    R
    I
    S
    B
    U
    R
    G
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I just can't seem to avoid injury on deadlifts, so I stopped doing them about 2-3 years ago. I'll do KB swings, stiff leg DBs and tire flips.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    For those saying your back shouldn't hurt, we may need more information. Your spine shouldn't hurt but my spinal erectors are smoked the day after deadlifting heavy or after a meet. Your back is heavily involved in deadlifting. If it isn't I'm not certain how people are doing it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had some back soreness, not pain, after the first time or two that I deadlifted. Pretty much the same as any other new lift. No soreness since then except in times when I've skipped lifting for a week or more.

To me, hurt = pain = something is being done wrong.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts squats and bench those are your 3 big compound exercises that are a must. I urge you to google them and see the correct form to use. Like squats if done wrong they can do as much harm as good. When I hear people say they hurt there back I know they are doing them wrong. I have done both for years and have no problems with my back .
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For those saying your back shouldn't hurt, we may need more information. Your spine shouldn't hurt but my spinal erectors are smoked the day after deadlifting heavy or after a meet. Your back is heavily involved in deadlifting. If it isn't I'm not certain how people are doing it.

There is no doubt that the back is involved in doing a deadlift BUT it is only used in assistance to the lift, it is NOT the primary impetus of the movement, which resides in the hips/glutes/legs. The back It is supposed to remain straight in a fixed position and used only a lever that hinges at the hips to hold the bar (not lift it) as you stand up. So, if done properly, the back will not be subject to any stress sufficient to cause injury or even soreness.

Here are 2 different analyses of what you are doing WRONG, if you are experiencing any back pain or soreness when doing deadlifts:

http://leanmuscleproject.com/lower-back-pain-from-deadlifts/

http://stronglifts.com/deadlift/back-pain/

There are many other articles on the topic published on the Net which essentially say the same. Google them.
  • juliewatkin
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

There is no doubt that the back is involved in doing a deadlift BUT it is only used in assistance to the lift, it is NOT the primary impetus of the movement, which resides in the hips/glutes/legs. The back It is supposed to remain straight in a fixed position and used only a lever that hinges at the hips to hold the bar (not lift it) as you stand up. So, if done properly, the back will not be subject to any stress sufficient to cause injury or even soreness.

Here are 2 different analyses of what you are doing WRONG, if you are experiencing any back pain or soreness when doing deadlifts:

There are many other articles on the topic published on the Net which essentially say the same. Google them.

I have to disagree on this. Backs are significantly involved in deadlifts; erectors, traps, lats. By remaining in a neutral position under heavy load you are involving your back in a major way. Your back may not accelerate the bar off the floor but holding the load uses the back. There is no way around it.

For reference I've been training for 10 years and competing for 8 with no back injuries at over 50 years old. Best deadlift 320lbs at 125lbs bw last year... not a newbie to the sport.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Did deadlifts today. Thought of this thread.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Pretty sure she's referring to DOMS....
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »

Your back shouldn't be hurting - check your form or lift with a belt if you are going heavy

Not my actual back. Just muscles. Lower back/glutes/hams usually feel like how the rest of my muscles feel after a day of heavy lifting. I didn't mean actual pain, my bad!
  • juliewatkin
    Options

Pretty sure she's referring to DOMS....

Pretty sure you're right :smile: There's DOMS and there's injury.
  • jolive7
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »

Not my actual back. Just muscles. Lower back/glutes/hams usually feel like how the rest of my muscles feel after a day of heavy lifting. I didn't mean actual pain, my bad!

Ohh ok got ya, I was thinking, eeek severe pain would not be good. Once those muscles in your lower back strengthen you will probably see that subside!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just do them because I like picking something heavy off the floor. Shooting for 300.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Deadlift > other
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    deadlifts are good , its all about what your goals are, if your a power lifter or a number chaser then dead lifts are king. yes they work your whole body but your form must be on point, I like the stiff legged type or the rdL type that works your hamstrings I also like to do rack pulls that works your back and traps, deadlifts are a great compound exersize but are they a must maybe, maybe not