Would you uproot your life for a job opportunity?

Options

Replies

• amcalmond768
    amcalmond768 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have kids I would leave jersey in a heartbeat! Starting over where no one knows you has it benifits!
    Anything outside of the tri state and New England area is the wild wilderness for me :p

I am originally from Brooklyn. Jersey was a hard pill to swallow at first!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Did it 12 times to improve my personal career and better provide for my family. Always considered kids and never uprooted them while they were in HS. Lived in many different places which provides life experiences and broadens outlook on life. Spent five years in Germany and they got to live in a different culture.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I would in a heart beat.
    I know people who have just packed up and moved, no job or place to live. I could never do that but with a job lined up I could. A fresh start, where I'm not stuck in a rut.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yes! I would be hard to leave family. But yes I would
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I uprooted my life and moved 2500 miles away when my husband joined the military, if that counts...

Honestly, I'm counting the days until we can go home (only 1289 to go or so...fml). I don't think I could do this if it was something he wanted to do for life... His parents were trying to push him to stay in to retirement when they came to visit and I had to politely tell them to shut the *kitten* up. That's not happening, and it's not what he wants either. I can live other places, but home is where my family is.

ETA: Dear god... I'll be almost 30 before I get to go home for good. Damn.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Yes I did uproot my life for a job once. It paid more then what I was earning at the time. So yeah
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes or No and why?

No
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Family is in Melbourne, and I'm staying.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Just trying to make that decision today. Two job offers on the table, one where I could work from home, but it less pay than I used to have and is only contracted for 2 years, and one that would be right on the career path but is in a different country. Two kids and partner to move, and would mean partner giving up work (no right to work in new country).

Tough choice!!!!!
  • TypingToaster
    TypingToaster Posts: 4,110 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It would depend on the job and it would depend on where I would potentially be living.

Is it what you want?
    If so, does it have the benefits that you want and need?
    If so, does it pay well enough for you to live in that area?

Your profile says you live in Connecticut
    Would the job be moving you to a place where there are moderate to high incidences of tornadoes and would you be willing to put up with that?
    If it is somewhere where it is earthquake prone, would you be willing to live with potential earthquakes?
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I have in the past and would again dependent on the opportunity. For a long while of my career the Army let me know where the 'opportunities' were, so I am used to moving around. Current job is pretty stable and have been here for 13+ years.
  • shoeoptional
    shoeoptional Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Be cautious about moving for a job or a relationship but be confident in your decision to do so. However, taking a leap of faith and enjoying the journey will be far more satisfying than the job or relationship itself. It is an opportunity for personal growth.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've moved countries before! But it wasn't for a job, and I also really didn't have much left when I left... so it was an easy decision.

Now with the kids, and the fact that I finally have some friends after 15 years, I'd probably think twice... but it would depend on the job (I'd seriously kill for a job right now, so I'd probably still seriously consider it, as long as it was financially possible to do so).

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It would have to really be a great opportunity. I love having my family so close by, but I wouldnt be completely opposed to moving depending if my s.o. or I got a dream offer elsewhere.
  • daleisfortynine
    Options
    In a second, if it meant more $$ and never having to deal with snow and cold again!
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    at the moment i'd uproot for a semi decent one lol
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes, but it depends on how much more I'd make and if the city was ≥ where I live now. But today it's easy to remote in to work, and I think that will become much more common in the future. I could do at least 90% of my job at home. So it may be possible, one day, to live anywhere and work anywhere else as a normal thing.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yep, done it. Moved from the US to Europe alone. It's been a life changing experience. Would do it again <3
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Lots of variables but assuming it was a great opportunity and it worked for my family, absolutely.
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    for a good opertunity yes i would.