I weigh 269

Options
LatoriaMcAdoo
LatoriaMcAdoo Posts: 52 Member
edited September 2016 in Motivation and Support
I am trying to lose weight i stay eating right then mess up and i cant keep up exercise but i want to get in shape and evenutally get married and have babies and i don't want to be over weight no more im starting to feel down about myself but how do i stick with it. Buying food is expensive and i don't have money to buy healthy stuff what do i do i really need help and support.
Me currently :'(
aozqv1ig39vf.jpg

:) What i want to be like again
hgvvujjan9cy.jpg

Replies

• LatoriaMcAdoo
    Options
    shawnele wrote: »
    You look beautiful in both pictures! Weight loss, they say, happens in the kitchen. If you want to lose weight, a good first step is eating less than your body needs to maintain your current lifestyle. While you don't need super healthy food to do this, processed foods have so many calories that you might end up feeling hungry if you try to keep a calorie deficit while eating mostly processed foods. What kinds of meals are you currently eating?
    If you could add in a little walking while keeping a calorie deficit, the weight will come off faster - and, more importantly, you will feel better...and more capable of increasing your efforts.
    You can do this. If you can only make little changes, expect slower results. The key is being consistent: this is a life's journey; not a sprint.

I mainly eat with my clients at work and they normally eat frozen stuff like pizza, chicken alfredo, chicken strips, fish sticks along with fries corn baked beans and when i am home its normally chicken or sandwhiches or eating out

i try to walk but i dont think i can walk by myself my family wont walk with me and my boyfriend works at nights when i get off he goes into work so its hard. But i need to do it i need to get healthy and in shape it will be a process i wantt o be atleast 150 in two years and i think that is durable.

and thank you
  • LatoriaMcAdoo
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You don't have to buy special foods to lose weight. Start with logging the foods you currently eat and look at places you can cut back. For me that meant not using butter on everything, not eating seconds, adding some vegetables instead of two servings of pasta. You don't have to completely revamp your eating, just make adjustments. There are often lower calorie substitutes to things we eat that are roughly the same cost. Cutting down on portion sizes will actually save you money.

Thank you i will do that i think i am cooking a decent healthy dinner tonight. i will cut back and not eat second portions.
  • jmaddox1240
    jmaddox1240 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 82lbs since January 27. I made a drastic change in my eating habits and you are correct it is more expensive than eating at McDonalds and such. It is a lot of hard work and it sounds like you want to do that. YOU ARE WORTH IT!! Do it for yourself. What worked for me may not work for you but here it goes:

I started with a modified Paleo diet (meaning I ate Paleo and added dairy such as, cheese, heavy whipping cream , half & half, but unfortunately not ice cream). Anyway, for me this has been relatively easy with no real missteps. Some tips about this: don't be afraid to eat out anywhere, just make the right choice. This past Sunday I went to Johnny's NY Style Pizza and asked for a small chef salad (which I split with my wife) and a slice of their Supreme (not sure what they call it) pizza. I told the waitress I was going to scrape the topings off the pizza she says to me "why not just order the doughless slice". I have never heard of that. So what they do is they take the toppings from whatever pizza you want and put it in the lasagna dish with red sauce and chesse and bake it. it was fantastic and I saved about 200 calories just not eating the bread. everything else is REAL food.

I have worked out pretty hard lifting weights, walking, hiking, etc... but I will tell you if I can do it anyone can. I am 51 years old and I did it. I am going to lost another 18 by Christmas and then reassess at that point.

The most important thing is to log your food and workouts (even it is "only" walking). This will give you motivation real information and support when you hit plateaus ( you can look back and see what may be causing them and/or if they are just a normal part of the process, which I know to be true for me). FIND A BUDDY!! look on facebook for another friend or group that gets our regularly to walk parks or trails or whatever.

Please don't do what I did and look back 20 years from now and go what have I done. You have lost enough time already. DON'T WAIT!!!
  • todduga
    todduga Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks will give you special diets, etc. but the best way to do it is gradually by eating right and exercising. It will be a slow process but it's better to lose it slowly than quickly. Seen lots of folks lose a lot of weight fast and then put it back on plus a few extra. You're going to have to make it a permanent lifestyle change.

I've been working on losing weight and I've lost 30 pounds since I started. No special diets. I just eat healthier (and less) and run. I started with a couch to 5K app and now run 5-7 miles three times a week. I've gotten to the point where I really enjoy running now. It becomes addictive. I plan on being a runner the rest of my life so for me it's become a permanent part of my life and routine.

Do these things and you'll be surprised.
  • LatoriaMcAdoo
    Options
    I have lost 82lbs since January 27. I made a drastic change in my eating habits and you are correct it is more expensive than eating at McDonalds and such. It is a lot of hard work and it sounds like you want to do that. YOU ARE WORTH IT!! Do it for yourself. What worked for me may not work for you but here it goes:

I started with a modified Paleo diet (meaning I ate Paleo and added dairy such as, cheese, heavy whipping cream , half & half, but unfortunately not ice cream). Anyway, for me this has been relatively easy with no real missteps. Some tips about this: don't be afraid to eat out anywhere, just make the right choice. This past Sunday I went to Johnny's NY Style Pizza and asked for a small chef salad (which I split with my wife) and a slice of their Supreme (not sure what they call it) pizza. I told the waitress I was going to scrape the topings off the pizza she says to me "why not just order the doughless slice". I have never heard of that. So what they do is they take the toppings from whatever pizza you want and put it in the lasagna dish with red sauce and chesse and bake it. it was fantastic and I saved about 200 calories just not eating the bread. everything else is REAL food.

I have worked out pretty hard lifting weights, walking, hiking, etc... but I will tell you if I can do it anyone can. I am 51 years old and I did it. I am going to lost another 18 by Christmas and then reassess at that point.

The most important thing is to log your food and workouts (even it is "only" walking). This will give you motivation real information and support when you hit plateaus ( you can look back and see what may be causing them and/or if they are just a normal part of the process, which I know to be true for me). FIND A BUDDY!! look on facebook for another friend or group that gets our regularly to walk parks or trails or whatever.

Please don't do what I did and look back 20 years from now and go what have I done. You have lost enough time already. DON'T WAIT!!!

Thank you i will keep this in mind. I do want to do this and my boyfriend would walk with me etc cause hes in shape and likes taking walks etc but we are on different schedules which makes it very difficult i will just have to walk by myself and push myself more to do it
  • LatoriaMcAdoo
    Options
    todduga wrote: »
    Lots of folks will give you special diets, etc. but the best way to do it is gradually by eating right and exercising. It will be a slow process but it's better to lose it slowly than quickly. Seen lots of folks lose a lot of weight fast and then put it back on plus a few extra. You're going to have to make it a permanent lifestyle change.

I've been working on losing weight and I've lost 30 pounds since I started. No special diets. I just eat healthier (and less) and run. I started with a couch to 5K app and now run 5-7 miles three times a week. I've gotten to the point where I really enjoy running now. It becomes addictive. I plan on being a runner the rest of my life so for me it's become a permanent part of my life and routine.

Do these things and you'll be surprised.

Thank you i will do all these idea. Im going to start measuring what i put in my plate make sure i get the right amount that im suppose to. im really wanting to lose weight and maybe if i start doing it and seeing results my family will and they will follow in my foot steps
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with yourself for exercise. As soon as my twins go down for their naps I have an appointment with the treadmill. I don't have figure out when to do it, I already have an appointment. I usually like to use their nap to clean house, but I can't do that until my exercise is done!

I agree with others above, you don't have to make drastic diet changes just make better choices! We still take the kids to McDonald's to play. I just order grilled chicken sandwich with a side salad instead of fries and drink a diet coke. It's about 400 calories and fits easily into my day. Every day doesn't have to be perfect, strive to improve a little each day and you will find a way that works for you!
  • theGarinator
    theGarinator Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi! I was 270lbs when I started. I just started by walking for around 45mins. each time, then I would add a jog for a minute. But to start by walking. (now I can jog for 45mins with the odd stop.) I live with PTSD, all I could do was sleep. I hate myself in the mirror often enough, I started to do something. I remember to this day when I started, I couldn't jog 100 yds. Then, 3 yrs later I did two half marathons, jogging, but I did them.

I got an exercise watch where I could programme the timer to set my walk time and jog time. So, like an 8 minute walk, then the watch would tell me when that was up and to start jogging, so, I'd jog for 1.5 minutes, then the watch would tell me to start walking again and I'd do that for 8 or 10 minutes or whatever. I do that kind of thing for about 40 minutes.

I've become religious about counting my calories. I HAD to STOP eating white bread, pasta and pastries. If I do it has to be measured and honestly entered into MFP. Look, I was as big as a hippopotamus. But I'm beginning to like myself, more. The only sugar I allow myself now is the tsp I put in my coffee. Potato chips are out.. any bagged snack food with salt and oils, especially when I learned/read on the bag, that a bag of tater chips is 1000 calories. That's almost 3/4's of my daily allotment of calories on MFP. Hope that's of some help. Start and hang in there. :smile:
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you are nervous about walking outside in the evening (especially as winter is coming and it's dark earlier) try looking up "Walk Away the Pounds" on YouTube. Leslie Sansone is great and you will be walking 1,2,3 or more miles in your living room! I have some DVDs (and even some video tapes, lol) and they are great workouts.
    Good luck to you - remember, you ARE worth it!!
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can buy healthy stuff affordably if you pay attention to sales & plan ahead. For instance, the Steamfresh brand of veggies goes on sale often for US$1 per bag. Beans & eggs are very affordable protein sources. Stock up on the pasta, whether traditional or whole wheat, when they go on sale. Pay attention to the sales, stock up when the price is good, and then many of your shopping trips would be only to replace produce & proteins. You can even do this with things like chicken breasts - here they often go on a BOGO sale, but you don't have to buy 2 to get the sale price. You can buy the large pack when it is half price, season & roast them, then freeze them already cooked for convenient, healthy protein that you can add to many things later, out of either your fridge or freezer. If you plan your meals for the week around what you have in stock & what is on sale, and then stick with that plan, you should be able to eat healthy on a budget.

Most importantly - and planning goes a long way towards keeping this to a minimum - make sure you use the food you buy before it goes bad. The worst hit your budget can take is to throw that food out. You might as well just toss dollar bills into the garbage.

As far as exercise goes, find things that you enjoy doing, and it will be easier to stick with it. The indoor-walking videos are a good start. If you have a gaming system, try buying a used copy of one of those dancing games. Or heck, just turn on your favorite tunes for a spontaneous dance party. Even only 10 minutes gives you some health benefits versus none at all.

Good luck!

• Pandadora
    Pandadora Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful in both pictures! Weight loss, they say, happens in the kitchen. If you want to lose weight, a good first step is eating less than your body needs to maintain your current lifestyle. While you don't need super healthy food to do this, processed foods have so many calories that you might end up feeling hungry if you try to keep a calorie deficit while eating mostly processed foods. What kinds of meals are you currently eating?
    If you could add in a little walking while keeping a calorie deficit, the weight will come off faster - and, more importantly, you will feel better...and more capable of increasing your efforts.
    You can do this. If you can only make little changes, expect slower results. The key is being consistent: this is a life's journey; not a sprint.

I mainly eat with my clients at work and they normally eat frozen stuff like pizza, chicken alfredo, chicken strips, fish sticks along with fries corn baked beans and when i am home its normally chicken or sandwhiches or eating out

i try to walk but i dont think i can walk by myself my family wont walk with me and my boyfriend works at nights when i get off he goes into work so its hard. But i need to do it i need to get healthy and in shape it will be a process i wantt o be atleast 150 in two years and i think that is durable.

and thank you

Do you have any friends/family/neighbors with pets? Dogs are pretty much always happy to go for a walk and you could borrow a friend's pet. Many owners would be grateful to have an extra opportunity to get their dogs some exercise. Even better volunteer to help if there's a shelter in your area.
    I've found that having a cute furry face happily trotting beside me makes the walking seem less like exercise and more like companionship.

On a different note you could try Pokemon Go. I've heard of many people who weren't fans of the original game getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. I see players walking alone periodically and it's not unusual. It gives some purpose and sense of achievement to your walks beyond simply going outside.

I've also found that a destination has helped me walk on a regular basis. I used to walk to the library several times a week. Having a destination and a mid-way point to rest helped break up the walk. I was always excited to chat or read a bit while I was there. I could trick myself into thinking I wasn't out for exercise, I was just going to the library.

It's true that a walking/exercise partner can help to make working out easier, but ultimately the drive must be your own. Find your own way to motivate yourself during your walks and you'll find you look forward to it much more. If someone joins you, it's just a happy bonus.

You should be proud of making the effort to better yourself. You've already made a huge step by asking for help and getting a plan to start. Love yourself for the person you are now, and love the person you'd like to become. I hope this journey brings you much joy. :smiley:
  • LatoriaMcAdoo
    Options
    If you are nervous about walking outside in the evening (especially as winter is coming and it's dark earlier) try looking up "Walk Away the Pounds" on YouTube. Leslie Sansone is great and you will be walking 1,2,3 or more miles in your living room! I have some DVDs (and even some video tapes, lol) and they are great workouts.
    Good luck to you - remember, you ARE worth it!!

Thank you
  • LatoriaMcAdoo
    Options
    Pandadora wrote: »

and thank you

Do you have any friends/family/neighbors with pets? Dogs are pretty much always happy to go for a walk and you could borrow a friend's pet. Many owners would be grateful to have an extra opportunity to get their dogs some exercise. Even better volunteer to help if there's a shelter in your area.
    I've found that having a cute furry face happily trotting beside me makes the walking seem less like exercise and more like companionship.

On a different note you could try Pokemon Go. I've heard of many people who weren't fans of the original game getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. I see players walking alone periodically and it's not unusual. It gives some purpose and sense of achievement to your walks beyond simply going outside.

I've also found that a destination has helped me walk on a regular basis. I used to walk to the library several times a week. Having a destination and a mid-way point to rest helped break up the walk. I was always excited to chat or read a bit while I was there. I could trick myself into thinking I wasn't out for exercise, I was just going to the library.

It's true that a walking/exercise partner can help to make working out easier, but ultimately the drive must be your own. Find your own way to motivate yourself during your walks and you'll find you look forward to it much more. If someone joins you, it's just a happy bonus.

You should be proud of making the effort to better yourself. You've already made a huge step by asking for help and getting a plan to start. Love yourself for the person you are now, and love the person you'd like to become. I hope this journey brings you much joy. :smiley:

Thank you and i have a dog i can go with and i could always listen to music as I walk.
  • calarcon2
    calarcon2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree that you do look beautiful inside and out in the pictures you provided! Walking and spending time with your dog is a wonderful way to exercise and a win-win situation for you both. The unconditional love I receive from my pets has done wonders for me on days I have been down on myself. Don't get discouraged- I started at 218 and I am finally down to 206 after 40 days. There was more than one time I was resentful and ready to give up and with your co-workers enjoying the food you describe it would be easy to feel that way. Fiber rich foods are your friend when it comes to feeling satisfied. One of the things I did discover when my husband joined me on this journey is he moves twice as much as I do every day. He has already lost 25 pounds and looks fantastic, but I really had to take a look at why. I have a desk job, so it is more difficult for me, but I started using the productivity method of 50 minutes of work and 10 minutes of movement. Drinking a lot of water has helped, since I need to get up and use the restroom more often!

I wish you a lot of success- and I know you will reach your goal! Just having the courage to post and reach out on this forum speaks volumes about how you are not going to give up and are determined to get to where you want to be!
  • LatoriaMcAdoo
    Options
    calarcon2 wrote: »
    I agree that you do look beautiful inside and out in the pictures you provided! Walking and spending time with your dog is a wonderful way to exercise and a win-win situation for you both. The unconditional love I receive from my pets has done wonders for me on days I have been down on myself. Don't get discouraged- I started at 218 and I am finally down to 206 after 40 days. There was more than one time I was resentful and ready to give up and with your co-workers enjoying the food you describe it would be easy to feel that way. Fiber rich foods are your friend when it comes to feeling satisfied. One of the things I did discover when my husband joined me on this journey is he moves twice as much as I do every day. He has already lost 25 pounds and looks fantastic, but I really had to take a look at why. I have a desk job, so it is more difficult for me, but I started using the productivity method of 50 minutes of work and 10 minutes of movement. Drinking a lot of water has helped, since I need to get up and use the restroom more often!

I wish you a lot of success- and I know you will reach your goal! Just having the courage to post and reach out on this forum speaks volumes about how you are not going to give up and are determined to get to where you want to be!

Thank you
  • jesssiebee1983
    jesssiebee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What clients do you work with? It could be a great opportunity to influence their diets too. I used to work in disability and really encouraged healthy eating and group cooking.
  • LatoriaMcAdoo
    Options
    What clients do you work with? It could be a great opportunity to influence their diets too. I used to work in disability and really encouraged healthy eating and group cooking.

I work with disabled but it's hard with these individuals they are more mentally disabled then physically