That crazy keto diet

I just started the keto diet. I have only been on it for 2 days so far and even bought ketostix.
How is anyone surving on less than 30grams of carbs a day?
I've found myself eating a lot of turkey, tuna and eggs, but I'll get tired of that soon enough.
How long until my body becomes a "fat burning machine" like they say this diet will create of you?

Replies

• Lovelylivie
    Lovelylivie Posts: 18 Member
    Does this mean if I decide to introduce more carbs back into my diet after I am ketosis, that I will gain back the weight?
  • TheBuffster40
    TheBuffster40 Posts: 23 Member
    Plenty to eat
    Breakfasts - eggs Greek yoghurt low sugar protein shakes bulletproof coffee
    Lunch/dinner - any meat/fish with some kind of fatty sauce, low carb veg, cheese cream oil
    Snacks - cheese, yoghurt, veg, fat bombs, pork scratchings
    Have a Google there's loads of blogs and sites

Once you've put in some effort figuring out meals planning & shopping it gets easy. I tend to have little periods were I look up new recipes because I'm bored (this week's experiments were a cauliflower sausage stew and an aubergine and feta bake I'm tired of meat all the time this week) But I also easily cruise along on roast chicken thighs/salmon steaks and aioli/herby cream cheese and steaks with butter, eggs and cheese.

Going out is easy too. I just replace starchy carbs with salad/veg or simply leave aside. I've even stayed in ketosis eating the odd ready meal. I have something creamy like a korma leave the rice (add a spoonful of cream if I'm hungry) plus something green. Easy Peasy and yum

The fat burn is just cico. But I do find it much easier to control my appetite like this. As you leave ketosis you will change your water balance and put back the water + glycogen weight you lost at the start.
  • Lovelylivie
    But as long as I still eat right and continue to excersise when I do introduce carbs back into my diet, the weight gained will be water weight, not necessarily fat, right?
    I'm not so concerned on my weight, just getting rid of this dangerous fat.
    The counting calories didn't work for me, which is why I am giving the keto diet a shot. Even though I was only consuming 1000-1200 calories a day, my weight stayed the same or I gained some. I walk constantly for about 6 hours every day, and when I come home, I do some actual excersises here and there, but still nothing.
    I really hope my question in the first paragraph can be answered, and I really need this to work for me. I feel like I've been trying so long.
    And yes, I've seen a doctor.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    But as long as I still eat right and continue to excersise when I do introduce carbs back into my diet, the weight gained will be water weight, not necessarily fat, right?
    I'm not so concerned on my weight, just getting rid of this dangerous fat.
    The counting calories didn't work for me, which is why I am giving the keto diet a shot. Even though I was only consuming 1000-1200 calories a day, my weight stayed the same or I gained some. I walk constantly for about 6 hours every day, and when I come home, I do some actual excersises here and there, but still nothing.
    I really hope my question in the first paragraph can be answered, and I really need this to work for me. I feel like I've been trying so long.
    And yes, I've seen a doctor.

Keto is one of many ways to achieve a deficit. Carbs only affect glycogen balance. If calories are equal the only thing that will change is water weight not fat. If you find keto to be a bit much maybe work with lchf (140g or less). Some people do quite will with fat. Others do well with carbs. In the end, you need to find something sustainable and that will allow you to reach your goal.

As an aside if you do keto you still might have to calorie count (some dont but many do) as calorie counting is a tool to measure intake. There is a good potential that counting didnt work before due to the restriction or possible not being logging daily or using a food scale (the two being the norm for the forums, i havent looked at your diary).
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    The "fat burning machine" question? Keto doesn't burn extra body fat compared to other ways of eating. It's still all about creating a calorie deficit. Some people like to use keto to get to that deficit.

This chart has some good advice:

2af1iz14ouj5.jpg
  • I just started the keto diet. I have only been on it for 2 days so far and even bought ketostix.
    I've found myself eating a lot of turkey, tuna and eggs, but I'll get tired of that soon enough.
    How long until my body becomes a "fat burning machine" like they say this diet will create of you?

from what I have heard that ketostix dont tell the real story and arent accurate to tell if you are in ketosis or not(someone will come along and explain Im sure) also if you eat over so many grams of carbs,or your protein is too high it can knock you out of ketosis. everyone is different and some people will enter ketosis quicker than others so there is no set time frame as to when you will enter ketosis.

are you overweight and need to lose a decent amount? or just a few vanity pounds/a little bit of fat? if you are at a decent weight and just want to lose fat,keto may not have an impact on the fat and it will take longer to lose when you are at a healthier weight. so many variables here because we dont have more info on you.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    I just started the keto diet. I have only been on it for 2 days so far and even bought ketostix.

from what I have heard that ketostix dont tell the real story and arent accurate to tell if you are in ketosis or not(someone will come along and explain Im sure) also if you eat over so many grams of carbs,or your protein is too high it can knock you out of ketosis. everyone is different and some people will enter ketosis quicker than others so there is no set time frame as to when you will enter ketosis.

are you overweight and need to lose a decent amount? or just a few vanity pounds/a little bit of fat? if you are at a decent weight and just want to lose fat,keto may not have an impact on the fat and it will take longer to lose when you are at a healthier weight. so many variables here because we dont have more info on you.

Dietary ketosis is essentially an "in or out" type of thing. For that ketosticks can be useful, when you can't really tell anymore. What actually triggers ketosis is depleted liver glycogen, once that's used up you'll start metabolizing more fat.

A lot of people think "darker is better" or that there's "deep ketosis" which isn't really true. Generally people have way higher ketone concentrations when they start out because their body is kind of inefficient at using them. Eventually that levels off, but there will still be enough ketones in the urine to get a reading.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited October 2016
    I like what the prior poster said:

"I will tell you why, you are INSULIN RESISTANT. This means you have been consuming a moderate to high carbohydrate diet for a long time, which has resulted in a high level of insulin always being in your blood. It never gets low enough before your next meal or snack and this puts you into permanent fat store mode. Every simple carb or refined sugar you consume immediately gets stored as fat. Barely eat still I am over weight? Now you know why, it isn't the amount you are eating to little or to much, it is WHAT you are eating (carbs)."
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Just the opposite, keto diets do not cause you to lose weight, calorie deficits do. So long as you stay below you calorie burn you will lose not matter what you eat. If doing keto helps you stay at a deficit so be it.

Wrong.....you should probably do alone research into ketosis.
  • psuLemon
    Just the opposite, keto diets do not cause you to lose weight, calorie deficits do. So long as you stay below you calorie burn you will lose not matter what you eat. If doing keto helps you stay at a deficit so be it.

Wrong.....you should probably do alone research into ketosis.

There are plenty of people who are not losing on nutritional ketosis diets. You still have to address energy balance... meaning you must eat in a deficit to lose weight. In fat, ketosis is not amy more benefit in terms of fat loss over other diets. In isocaloric, isoprotein studies fat loss was equal. Where ketosis is beneficial is for the subset of people who a satiated with fat.
  • Lovelylivie
    K. I gave up on keto diet because I was miserable. No, I am not insulin resistant, I have PCOS, so that's why the calorie counting didn't work. I mean, Ive been doing this for 5 years now and trying different things. I did the Keto diet for 5 days and I didn't feel good at all and felt it wasn't right for my body.
    Will continue to exercise.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    If it want right for your body, you could have been experiencing "keto flu" which is temporary and due to an imbalance with electrolytes (due to loss of water weight) in the early stages. The folks in the low carb group will have some really good suggestions to help minimize the impact.

If it's not right for you because you like to eat carbs, then go back to a caloric deficit. There are plenty of folks with PCOS and hypothyroidism and other conditions losing weight (like you and me)--it's totally doable!
  • psuLemon
    K. I gave up on keto diet because I was miserable. No, I am not insulin resistant, I have PCOS, so that's why the calorie counting didn't work. I mean, Ive been doing this for 5 years now and trying different things. I did the Keto diet for 5 days and I didn't feel good at all and felt it wasn't right for my body.

Maybe it would be more beneficial to restrict carbs. Going low carb and slowly transition down towards keto might help. Many women see success with PCOS and maintaining carbs at 120g or less per day.

Also, you probably had the keto flu, which could have been driven by not enough sodium. Where you getting between 3000-5000mg per day? Did you eat foods high in potassium/magnesium?

Side note, there is some science that would suggest that PCOS + carbs = lower RMR, which could make it harder to hit a calorie deficit, which will make counting calories and finding that sweet spot more difficult. Ultimate, counting is just a tool for accuracy. Finding that sweet spot is what is difficult.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Maybe it would be more beneficial to restrict carbs. Going low carb and slowly transition down towards keto might help. Many women see success with PCOS and maintaining carbs at 120g or less per day.

Also, you probably had the keto flu, which could have been driven by not enough sodium. Where you getting between 3000-5000mg per day? Did you eat foods high in potassium/magnesium?

Side note, there is some science that would suggest that PCOS + carbs = lower RMR, which could make it harder to hit a calorie deficit, which will make counting calories and finding that sweet spot more difficult. Ultimate, counting is just a tool for accuracy. Finding that sweet spot is what is difficult.

@Lovelylivie This is spot on. Your sodium most likely became low due to water loss. I imagine you experienced fatigue, headaches, nausea, muscle spasms or soreness? These are symptoms of electrolyte imbalance.

BTW, PCOS is considered by many to be a form of insulin resistance of the reproductive organs. LCHF diets will probably help with it even if you don't go to ketosis levels
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Keto curbed and blunted my cravings so I could successfully reduce calories without feeling constant cravings. Even after I stopped keto my body has somehow healed itself. I can eat low carb for lunch and have "healthy" low glycemic carbs at dinner in combination with with protein and fiber and still not get cravings. It was freedom for me. It takes a while to get keto adapted. If you are already in past the hardest part which are the first two weeks IMO, then stick it out a bit longer to get the benefits. Otherwise if it's not for you, try to gradually add carbs back and play with macro portions to find your happy place. I get carb cravings if I go up to 50% carbs but am fine at 30-40%. That is the beauty in that you can adopt the method that is enjoyable for you!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Keto was the only diet that really worked for me, I was pre-diabetic, insulin resistant, and I have PCOS so a simple calories in calories out wasn't working. I always felt like I was starving all the time. Turned out eating high carb and low fat foods just made me gain more weight because by body was turning it all into glucose and storing it all as fat and I needed more of it to feel satisfied. I needed less food to feel satisfied on Keto by eating the higher fat foods.

You do have to watch your electrolytes when following keto like others have mentioned, which means eating pickles or drinking broth of some sort. I take a magnesium supplement every day and I should be eating lots of avocados to get my potassium in, I need to work on that.

Do what works best for you, it will take a lot of research and experimenting.