Frozen Shoulder :(

Options
Hi,
I was wanting to know if anyone else has dealt with a frozen shoulder and has any suggestions? It is very painful right now and I have limited range of motion :( It came on with sudden pain out of nowhere tonight and I'm not sure what to do other than wait it out and try to slowly stretch it a little at a time.Thanks for you input and advice!
-Meaghan

Replies

• Rnsmith1982
    Rnsmith1982 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't have frozen shoulder but my boyfriend has it and had to go to physical therapy for that condition.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Not sure what frozen shoulder is but I had one that suddenly I could not even throw an apple core over a fence. I assumed it was rotator cuff tear from lifting. It got better over time but now the other is hurting to the point I can't swim. I have no idea what I did to cause it but I will be looking up frozen shoulder.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have had frozen shoulder and it never really got better. It sucks big time. If you can, see a physical therapist as soon as you can. Don't wait like I did, it gets harder to fix if you wait too long.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a shoulder impingement, I suggest seeing a physio sooner rather than later.

There are some fairly simple rotational exercises (internal & external) which help build the strength in the rotator muscles. Flexibility of the joint is also very important and shouldn't be neglected.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Sounds like bursitis. Go see ur doc and get some physical therapy.
  • annebrady67
    annebrady67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have frozen shoulder. Second time. Go and see a physio. It takes generally 12 months or so for normal range of motion to come back, and it may not ever fully return.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know whether you have recovered. I have a frozen shoulder. After months of physical therapy and therapeutic massage, it was getting worse not better. I finally had surgery a few months ago called Manipulation Under Anesthesia. It helped with my range of motion some but I still have no strength and can't reach behind at all. I went from working out five days a week to being limited to walking and water exercises. Anyone else that is dealing with this or had dealt with this...did you ever get full mobility and strength back?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had frozen shoulder and the pain improved with physical therapy and range of motion exercise. It's still not the way it used to be, but much better than it was.
  • JKolb72
    JKolb72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had shoulder surgery to fix a stage 3 rotator cuff tear, bone spurs, and reattach my biceps tendon. I had the surgery December 2015 and was in physical therapy for 4 months and still do my exercises at home. I have about 95% of my normal range of motion and am getting strength back. It is a very long process but keep up with PT and make sure you don't reinjure your shoulder. With a frozen shoulder, do PT and maybe think about an x-ray or MRI to make sure it isn't something more. The longer you wait the less likely it is they can fix it.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    I've had X-rays, MRI, ultrasound, PT and surgery. It's incredibly frustrating.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Never mind.....this is an old thread.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »

It started up again...did you have anything to contribute?
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Old thread or not, I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder in January and through 10 weeks of PT and doing the exercises at home daily and even continuing the exercises before every gym workout now, mine has completely healed. It takes a lot of work and effort but it is possible to move beyond it. Good luck to everyone fighting this condition.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »

It started up again...did you have anything to contribute?

I had said that physio was a big help when my shoulder was frozen. Without it, the range of motion may not have completely returned.