I need Personal Training Advice/ Gym routine

Options
riches41
riches41 Posts: 127 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Im looking to see if someone can help me with gym advice i need a good gym schedule and plan so im focused and not all over the gym can anyone help me out?

Replies

• jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What is your current routine/how many times a week do you train and whats your goal? Are we talking strength and cardio/one or the other?

Also if you could give your experience too then I can try to help :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    riches41 wrote: »
    Im looking to see if someone can help me with gym advice i need a good gym schedule and plan so im focused and not all over the gym can anyone help me out?

What are your goals?
  • riches41
    Options
    Hi Jolive7
    Thanks for the reply where do i start. Lets see im not new to tge gym id say im an intermediate level gym body im just starting back in gym after 5 years im planning to go 3 times a week i would say im skinny fat but not real fat it looks like i skipped leg day and trying to loose the small stomach fat i have id like to put on some more muscle and tone up what i have but more importantly im looking to do this for more energy and health my issue is i work 3am to 12 so energy levels are low all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • jolive7
    Options
    No problem. Ok if you are time poor I would suggest a 2 day split, an example:

Monday - upper body split
    Bench press
    superset with
    Chest flies

Overhead press
    superset with
    Lateral raise

Lat pull down
    superset with
    Bicep curls

Tricep extensions (cable)
    superset with
    Skullcrushers

Tuesday - lower body
    Squats
    Deadlifts (don't super set these if you are going heavy, take longer breaks)
    If starting off not so heavy, add in some walking lunges

Leg press
    Super set with
    Calf raises

Leg curl
    Super set with
    Leg extensions

Repeat this twice a week so Monday and Thursday upper body, Tuesday and Friday lower for example. This is going to allow you the most coverage of muscle groups in the most efficient time. Super setting also adds to the efficiency of the workouts. I know you said 3 times, but I really think this is going to be more optimal for you then say an overall body workout 3 times a week, as you can hit each group harder.

For dropping body fat, I would recommend adding in some HIIT sessions. Start with a simple 30 second on 30 second off ratio and you can play around with what is challenging for you. Just go all out on the "on" time. I like to hit tabata at the end of my sessions so for example if I trained shoulders, at the end of my workout ill finish with:

Hang clean and press 20 second on, 10 second off
    repeat 4 min

Hope that helps/makes sense!! Sometimes I rant when talking about programs because I get excited
  • riches41
    Options
    Makes plenty sense can you add me would love to continue chattin with you i like your enthusiasm with workouts just the type of motivated people i need to talk with.

Thanks
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »
    What is your current routine/how many times a week do you train and whats your goal? Are we talking strength and cardio/one or the other?

Hi Jolive7 - I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving me some advice too. I am a 50 year old woman who needs to lose weight. I have lost 2 stone but have maintained for the last year hence now looking at building some muscle tone to help with the weight loss. I emphasise muscle tone at this point because about 4 years ago I went on the Cambridge Diet and although I lost 2 stone in 3 months it was straight back on again but I had lost muscle on the stupid diet and now I have very little strength. I used to go to the gym when I was younger and have recently joined a gym and had an induction so have a good idea of how to use all the equipment. I try and cycle and walk a couple of times a week (in the spring was doing 23k on a saturday and sunday on my bike but haven't kept it up so now trying to fit in a cycle in the morning before work so only doing 30 minutes - 6k). My biggest threat is motivation to get to the gym but once there I love it! I am using the machines not free weights due to dodgy knees so can't do free squats. Tend to use leg press, squat machine, leg extension, leg curl. For upper body use all the machines again rather than dumb bells etc, mainly due to confidence and safety. I started by using the machines with little or no weight on and have started to increase the weight. Someone told me to have the weight so that the 3rd set (I do 3 x 12 reps) is impossible to finish. I leave the gym with my arms and legs shaking and I do ache the next day so I hope that is an indication that I am working hard enough. I try to go twice a week. Oh and I line dance on a Monday which I use my phone pedometer to calculate steps - roughly 6500 steps in an hour and a half.

Can you tell me if you think I am on the right track?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hi Jolive7
    Thanks for the reply where do i start. Lets see im not new to tge gym id say im an intermediate level gym body im just starting back in gym after 5 years im planning to go 3 times a week i would say im skinny fat but not real fat it looks like i skipped leg day and trying to loose the small stomach fat i have id like to put on some more muscle and tone up what i have but more importantly im looking to do this for more energy and health my issue is i work 3am to 12 so energy levels are low all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 years? You're a beginner, then. That's mainly because you won't pick up anywhere near where you were before. Pick one of the beginner programs listed here and follow it. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • riches41
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Hi Jolive7

Thanks

5 years? You're a beginner, then. That's mainly because you won't pick up anywhere near where you were before. Pick one of the beginner programs listed here and follow it. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

No sorry you read that wrong im just going back into the gym after 5 years not being in the gym
  • riches41
    Options
    Hi Jolive7

Thanks

No sorry you read that wrong im just going back into the gym after 5 years not being in the gym

I know what you mean tho
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm confused ... Are you saying you used to work out regularly but haven't been going to the gym consistently (or at all) for 5 years?

If so, you're a beginner. There is no way you can pick up where you left off after a 5 year break.

Or do you mean something else?
  • riches41
    Options
    I'm confused ... Are you saying you used to work out regularly but haven't been going to the gym consistently (or at all) for 5 years?

If so, you're a beginner. There is no way you can pick up where you left off after a 5 year break.

Exactly i havent worked out in 5 years
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Then you are a beginner.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Have a browse through the programs on bodybuilding.com
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com has some nice body weight advice, too.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hi Jolive7

Thanks

No - I read that correctly. You're a beginner. If you try to do an intermediate or advanced program, you're going to hit a wall real quick.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Exactly i havent worked out in 5 years

Then you should start with a beginner program. I prefer full body ones for someone in your situation.
  • jolive7
    Options

jolive7 wrote: »

Hi Jolive7 - I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving me some advice too. I am a 50 year old woman who needs to lose weight. I have lost 2 stone but have maintained for the last year hence now looking at building some muscle tone to help with the weight loss. I emphasise muscle tone at this point because about 4 years ago I went on the Cambridge Diet and although I lost 2 stone in 3 months it was straight back on again but I had lost muscle on the stupid diet and now I have very little strength. I used to go to the gym when I was younger and have recently joined a gym and had an induction so have a good idea of how to use all the equipment. I try and cycle and walk a couple of times a week (in the spring was doing 23k on a saturday and sunday on my bike but haven't kept it up so now trying to fit in a cycle in the morning before work so only doing 30 minutes - 6k). My biggest threat is motivation to get to the gym but once there I love it! I am using the machines not free weights due to dodgy knees so can't do free squats. Tend to use leg press, squat machine, leg extension, leg curl. For upper body use all the machines again rather than dumb bells etc, mainly due to confidence and safety. I started by using the machines with little or no weight on and have started to increase the weight. Someone told me to have the weight so that the 3rd set (I do 3 x 12 reps) is impossible to finish. I leave the gym with my arms and legs shaking and I do ache the next day so I hope that is an indication that I am working hard enough. I try to go twice a week. Oh and I line dance on a Monday which I use my phone pedometer to calculate steps - roughly 6500 steps in an hour and a half.

Can you tell me if you think I am on the right track?

Hi Lisa! Sorry I don't really check the forums on the weekends. Congratulations on losing 2 stone, that is great. How is your diet now? How many calories are you consuming and do you know what your protein intake is? It is good that you can recognize those kind of diets are short term and not sustainable.

That sounds like you are working out hard and I have no doubt that once you start getting in a rhythm you will be more confident. One of the most important things for building muscle is consistency and following structure. If you can manage two days a week for strength training I would recommend 2 full body days. Is that something you could manage and then your other cardio/dancing/cycle? Great variety by the way sounds like you have a good mix going on!

In terms of the structure you could superset different muscle groups i.e. leg press super set with lat pull down, squat superset with shoulder press etc that will give your legs a bit of a break in between sets especially for a whole body workout. 3 sets of 12 reps is good - keep that up. And yes you should definitely feel challenged at the end of the sets, if you are not anymore then you can up the weights again