Recording your weight

Options
I'm curious how everyone else records their weight/how often ya'll weigh yourself...

I tend to weigh myself everyday although I know fluctuations are totally normal. But when it comes to recording my weight, I only do so if I weigh less than the last time I entered my weight. This means I record my weight a few times per week or less. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to doing this? How does everyone else do it?

Replies

• geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself every day, because I'd rather see the number go up and down and be able to catch it quickly to readjust if the trend starts going up. I record my weight each time though to be able to see the trend (unless it doesn't change at all), but I used to record it more like you do. Even though it's "messier", I like the additional data that seeing the line go up and down gives me, rather than the "plateau" straight lines followed by an occasional drop. That being said, it's all down to preference.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Happy Scale to record my weight everyday. It uses the daily weight to calculate a running average, as well as provide additional data like long term rate of loss (or gain!) and other trends. I then just enter the running average weight into MFP, which evens out the daily fluctuations but still shows the up and down trends.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself every day, because I'd rather see the number go up and down and be able to catch it quickly to readjust if the trend starts going up. I record my weight each time though to be able to see the trend (unless it doesn't change at all), but I used to record it more like you do. Even though it's "messier", I like the additional data that seeing the line go up and down gives me, rather than the "plateau" straight lines followed by an occasional drop. That being said, it's all down to preference.

^^ this exactly.

Though sometimes if I feel I didn't have enough of a deficit, I get a little scared to jump on the scale in the morning. So I might skip one or two days. But basically every morning.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use a spreadsheet to record my weights so I can see trends. I only log my weight on MFP on Fridays.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Every morning, log on mfp daily as well. I prefer to see my ups and downs, gives me real perspective on fluctuations and weight loss as well. I used to record only if it went down, but that didn't work for me. I was feeling very frustrated if the weight didn't drop down as i wished/ expected. Logging it daily helped to see that ups and downs are just pieces of bigger picture.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly daily unless I've eaten loads the day before and haven't pooped as I don't need to see a 5lb false increase! Otherwise I like to see the fluctuations and learn how my body carries weight. Especially good at TOM so I don't panic as now I know it will be about 2-4 lbs heavier for a few days!
  • carlydevi
    carlydevi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and put it all into my nice little Excel chart. Then I let it calculate the weekly averages and that's what I'm actually using/looking at. :)
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Like the member above me said I weigh every day unless the day before was off track because I too don't need the negative feedback of seeing a false 5lb weight gain. I try very hard not to have 2 bad days in a row--or more than 1 a week. I lost more than 60 lbs about 6 years ago and have kept 90% of the weight off by recording my calories every day--even the bad days--and weighing myself almost every day. And like someone else said I too keep my stats on a spreadsheet and even calculate my daily calorie average over the course of a week. I look at it like having to monitor myself for a serious health condition.