63 days back on MFP. Progress pics.

Options
if I'm honest I'll admit to self-loathing based on my appearance. The way I condescend and judge ME blows me away because I'd NEVER do that to other people. Yet I'm such a dckhead to myself. Last night, on a whim and expecting to see about NO difference in the last 16lbs/63 days of tracking calories and working out 1-4 times per week, depending on schedules (single dad, daughter doesn't have her license yet, plus a date or two maybe? still looking for consistency in my weights). Work outs are 30 minutes weights, 30 minutes on the bike.

When I started I used 12.5kg dumbbells to do standing curls, seated incline curls and presses; did 35lbs on the triceps pull downs, and probably about 75lbs on the seated rows (machine).

Last time at the gym - few days ago; doing four sets 15kg dumb bells with one set of 17kg, using 65lbs on the pull downs and about 115lbs on the rows. I do other routines too - but those are my big three. Also - on the bike, heart rate would hover about 140 and peak over 160 for 10km - which would take me 30 minutes. Last time, rate hovered about 130, peaked about 152 for 10km which took me 20 minutes.

As I look at these pics - my broken brain wants to vomit because I am not the kinda sexy I want for myself. For me. To some people I'm probably already at their GOAL, ya know? I get that. But my brain is still fighting off old, lingering body-image issues.

So - its BECAUSE I am scared of people seeing my body I am posting these pics. How do we get courage? We do the thing that scares us. I'll update with newer pics in another 63 days. While I do not expect my body to have changed (because I don't want the disappointment that'd come with it) I am hopeful and trusting the science of "If I keep working, my body has no choice but to yield to my demands".

Here goes...this is me jumping into the deep end. For scale, I am 6'1" tall.

784kf1b5dcrs.jpg

From my point of view I see my chest is lifted a bit - my arm (NOT as huge as it look in the after pic, but due to the lighting it's hard to see where my triceps ends and back begins) is more-toned maybe? I can see roundness on top of my biceps - looking at where my arm transitions to my armpit, it's not as flabby there, maybe. Little bit of fat near my elbow is gone. Obviously my gut is less-round, too. And I'm looking at a better neck-jaw line.

here's the biceps from the front, taken last week or so. GYM-SELFIE WARNING!

99kopg9jlb7z.jpg

What got me started a bit over two months ago? I read something on facebook saying "One year from now you will be glad you started today!" 10 months left :)

Replies

• jessmcanulty
    jessmcanulty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Your looking great.. Keep up the good work
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Big progress, especially in your tummy area--Great work! No more self loathing, be kind to yourself and proud :)
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good work. Same height as me. Same starting weight as me yesterday. I was 100.6kg late last year but poor diet, divorce issues, being single dad has took its toll and I piled it back on through no exercise and copious amounts of takeaways.

I have just subscribed to the Freeletics Gym (not body weight or running versions for me yet) app for 15 weeks so I am keen to see the results at the end.

My ultimate aim is around 80kg but will settle for 85 with decent muscle mass.

• DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    thank you. I'm working on it. All of it. See y'all again in two months :)
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @DetroitDarin You are doing great! It takes big balls to post shirtless pictures. You can definitely tell you have lost in the tummy and chest area.
  • DetroitDarin
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thank you, toots. :) As if you haven't seen me naked already...

oh snap! was I not supposed to tell? Doh.

:hushed:
  • thatATLgirl
    thatATLgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Congrats- the dedication to do that is so great.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This progress is amazing. I mean, obviously the abs, huge, but I can see definition everywhere, and only two months! You have every right to be elated with this progress. Well done you!
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    thank you all very much. Am not elated, actually - still terrified of what I see, but more-scared of 'going back' - I am completely looking-forward to the next update. Then the one after that. Then my year update :)
  • roxyyrainy123
    roxyyrainy123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's only going to improve from here!! Good job that's amazing in 2 months!!! Dedication for sure!!
  • Tisa76
    Tisa76 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Our own minds can be our own worst enemy sometimes. But keep pushing, you've made tremendous progress!
  • SashEdwards
    SashEdwards Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That's inspiring. I struggle to see no progress in months, so seeing these provides hope to people like me. Congrats to you - way to push. Goes to show, when someone wants something bad enough, they'll make it happen. Be proud ;)
  • stephenmoralee
    stephenmoralee Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well done and greetings from Germany,

• smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!!
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    Thank you!! All of you. I am eager to feel proud of my change. That will happen someday - right now i value the accountablity and support you guys show.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So do you need me to come over and kick your *kitten*? It's a service I provide.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Nice one bro - you got some crazy guns there now!
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    Thank you @the_new_mark_2016 . They look skinny and weak as I look down on them. But when I'm working out my shoulders and arms look hyoog! :)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    *sigh* ..I hope one day you see all the awesomeness you are .....and feel happy with what you see..
    You've made great progress :) my sweet friend, be proud of every step you've taken so far ..
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    I love you Jo. You're the bee's knees.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!