63 days back on MFP. Progress pics.

if I'm honest I'll admit to self-loathing based on my appearance. The way I condescend and judge ME blows me away because I'd NEVER do that to other people. Yet I'm such a dckhead to myself. Last night, on a whim and expecting to see about NO difference in the last 16lbs/63 days of tracking calories and working out 1-4 times per week, depending on schedules (single dad, daughter doesn't have her license yet, plus a date or two maybe? still looking for consistency in my weights). Work outs are 30 minutes weights, 30 minutes on the bike.

When I started I used 12.5kg dumbbells to do standing curls, seated incline curls and presses; did 35lbs on the triceps pull downs, and probably about 75lbs on the seated rows (machine).

Last time at the gym - few days ago; doing four sets 15kg dumb bells with one set of 17kg, using 65lbs on the pull downs and about 115lbs on the rows. I do other routines too - but those are my big three. Also - on the bike, heart rate would hover about 140 and peak over 160 for 10km - which would take me 30 minutes. Last time, rate hovered about 130, peaked about 152 for 10km which took me 20 minutes.

As I look at these pics - my broken brain wants to vomit because I am not the kinda sexy I want for myself. For me. To some people I'm probably already at their GOAL, ya know? I get that. But my brain is still fighting off old, lingering body-image issues.

So - its BECAUSE I am scared of people seeing my body I am posting these pics. How do we get courage? We do the thing that scares us. I'll update with newer pics in another 63 days. While I do not expect my body to have changed (because I don't want the disappointment that'd come with it) I am hopeful and trusting the science of "If I keep working, my body has no choice but to yield to my demands".

Here goes...this is me jumping into the deep end. For scale, I am 6'1" tall.

784kf1b5dcrs.jpg

From my point of view I see my chest is lifted a bit - my arm (NOT as huge as it look in the after pic, but due to the lighting it's hard to see where my triceps ends and back begins) is more-toned maybe? I can see roundness on top of my biceps - looking at where my arm transitions to my armpit, it's not as flabby there, maybe. Little bit of fat near my elbow is gone. Obviously my gut is less-round, too. And I'm looking at a better neck-jaw line.

here's the biceps from the front, taken last week or so. GYM-SELFIE WARNING!

99kopg9jlb7z.jpg

What got me started a bit over two months ago? I read something on facebook saying "One year from now you will be glad you started today!" 10 months left :)

Replies

• jessmcanulty
    jessmcanulty Posts: 46 Member
    Your looking great.. Keep up the good work
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Big progress, especially in your tummy area--Great work! No more self loathing, be kind to yourself and proud :)
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Good work. Same height as me. Same starting weight as me yesterday. I was 100.6kg late last year but poor diet, divorce issues, being single dad has took its toll and I piled it back on through no exercise and copious amounts of takeaways.

I have just subscribed to the Freeletics Gym (not body weight or running versions for me yet) app for 15 weeks so I am keen to see the results at the end.

My ultimate aim is around 80kg but will settle for 85 with decent muscle mass.

• DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    thank you. I'm working on it. All of it. See y'all again in two months :)
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    edited September 2016
    @DetroitDarin You are doing great! It takes big balls to post shirtless pictures. You can definitely tell you have lost in the tummy and chest area.
  • DetroitDarin
    edited September 2016
    Thank you, toots. :) As if you haven't seen me naked already...

oh snap! was I not supposed to tell? Doh.

:hushed:
  • thatATLgirl
    thatATLgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Congrats- the dedication to do that is so great.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    This progress is amazing. I mean, obviously the abs, huge, but I can see definition everywhere, and only two months! You have every right to be elated with this progress. Well done you!
  • DetroitDarin
    thank you all very much. Am not elated, actually - still terrified of what I see, but more-scared of 'going back' - I am completely looking-forward to the next update. Then the one after that. Then my year update :)
  • roxyyrainy123
    roxyyrainy123 Posts: 44 Member
    It's only going to improve from here!! Good job that's amazing in 2 months!!! Dedication for sure!!
  • Tisa76
    Tisa76 Posts: 86 Member
    Our own minds can be our own worst enemy sometimes. But keep pushing, you've made tremendous progress!
  • SashEdwards
    SashEdwards Posts: 78 Member
    That's inspiring. I struggle to see no progress in months, so seeing these provides hope to people like me. Congrats to you - way to push. Goes to show, when someone wants something bad enough, they'll make it happen. Be proud ;)
  • stephenmoralee
    stephenmoralee Posts: 75 Member
    Well done and greetings from Germany,

• smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Great Job!!!
  • DetroitDarin
    Thank you!! All of you. I am eager to feel proud of my change. That will happen someday - right now i value the accountablity and support you guys show.
  • memickee
    So do you need me to come over and kick your *kitten*? It's a service I provide.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Nice one bro - you got some crazy guns there now!
  • DetroitDarin
    Thank you @the_new_mark_2016 . They look skinny and weak as I look down on them. But when I'm working out my shoulders and arms look hyoog! :)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    edited October 2016
    *sigh* ..I hope one day you see all the awesomeness you are .....and feel happy with what you see..
    You've made great progress :) my sweet friend, be proud of every step you've taken so far ..
  • DetroitDarin
    I love you Jo. You're the bee's knees.
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    You are doing great! Really nice progress for only 63 days. Enjoy the progress/process and continue taking your pics..and just imagine where you will be in 6 months.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    *sigh* ..I hope one day you see all the awesomeness you are .....and feel happy with what you see..
    You've made great progress :) my sweet friend, be proud of every step you've taken so far ..

What an amazing thing to say. Amazingness and beautifulness oozes from your profile (and those aren't even words!). All peace to you Jo. _/|\_
  • DetroitDarin
    edited October 2016
    ForMe2No wrote: »
    You are doing great! Really nice progress for only 63 days. Enjoy the progress/process and continue taking your pics..and just imagine where you will be in 6 months.

Thank you so much,@ForMe2No I know this won't happen smoothly, but it will happen.

@the_new_mark_2016 - Jo is a doll, eh? :)
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    I know exactly what you mean... we are our own worse critics. Good for you for taking your fear and facing it head on. Impressive. The difference is obvious and for the record... you're pretty handsome ;)
  • DetroitDarin
    @amfmmama how YOU doin? :):D
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    As I look at these pics - my broken brain wants to vomit because I am not the kinda sexy I want for myself.

For scale, I am 6'1" tall.

Soooo - Tallish, good looking and not that far down the chubby path...

There is some real improvement in a mere 63 days... just imagine how far you will have come in the full 12 months!

Keep working it, Sugar - and you will be the "full package."

Keep on Rockin!
  • memickee
    edited October 2016
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    As I look at these pics - my broken brain wants to vomit because I am not the kinda sexy I want for myself.

For scale, I am 6'1" tall.

Soooo - Tallish, good looking and not that far down the chubby path...

There is some real improvement in a mere 63 days... just imagine how far you will have come in the full 12 months!

Keep working it, Sugar - and you will be the "full package."

Keep on Rockin!

He already is :) I've seen it in person...uhm not IT IT, but his face. Great personality too.

Edited because I am slow...
  • DetroitDarin
    Dang @memickee I didn't think you even liked me. :D You are the BEST wingman ever.

Full Package. Ha. :) You girls. geesh. I am NOT just a piece of meat. Just kidding. I'm pretty much shallow and emotionally unavailable.
  • DetroitDarin
    edited October 2016
    Oh. fwiw? was taken at 231.7lbs? I'm 227.7 now, two weeks later. :)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    Keep up the great work ..looking forward to more progress pics
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!