Starting a diet:

Options
Hey everybody, I'm new to the app. I'm starting a diet and I would love for advice on how to stay on it. Also, I would love to know what your doing to lose weight.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    Welcome to MFP
    I recommend to read MFP Most Helpful Post at the beginning of this message board. Here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    Buy yourself a food scale, weigh everything you ingest, log it at MFP
    If you eat at a deficit ( calories burned higher than calories ingested), your body weight will decrease
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eating in a calorie deficit
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I've lost 96lb NOT being on a diet. This weight has come off because I ate what I wanted, but carefully kept my portions in check by weighing and logging. I also learned to love exercise again. I'm learning not just how to lose, but to keep it off forever. Diets are temporary.
  • praveee
    praveee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi missusmoon add me plz . I want to lose weight in a healthy way.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't go on diets you need help staying on. To lose weight, you just have to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Say no to "diets", say yes to "lifestyles"....

Whichever you choose, good luck, don't ever get discouraged, and be HAPPY!!!!

Oh, and we'll support you no matter what :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    eating in a calorie deficit

This^

Just eat "regular" food. But watch your total calorie intake. This is a great learning tool. You will probably find some of your regular foods aren't really worth the calories (any more). Only you can decide which ones those are.
  • litlbex
    litlbex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Preparing to start after this weekend, giving myself time to purchase healthy snacks/food, prepare menu and prep breakfast and lunches for next week. My daughter will be in town and weekends never seem to work 'to start' a new way. I have a scale and ready to use it. I plan to incorporate more fruits and vegetables and leaner meats. I have decreased the sweets and caffeine. I was a huge caffeine pop drinker - prior to a week ago I would have about 4 diet cokes (32 plus oz refills). I am down to 1 - 32 oz a day now, and I have noticed I don't drink the whole thing. Looking to cut that down as well. Started to walk on my treadmill for 15 minutes. Want to increase that as well but for now with back and foot issues, is a good move from not doing anything. Also started a multi vitamin and calcium tablet. I'd love to be your buddy.