Running question

Options
So, I got up and completed most of my first day of C25K. I am thinking I may have to repeat week 1, as I had to call it quits after 15 minutes.
But my question is about my heels, bottom not back. They hurt, not so much I can't walk, but they are noticeably sore. Is this due to the shoes I'm wearing? I have plans to go get actual running shoes, but I figured I should show myself I can follow through with the program before I go spend that money and get fitted and everything. Right now, I'm wearing tennis shoes... Skechers Sports to be exact.
Sooo, do I need to get running shoes right away or is the pain in my heels a fluke not related to my shoes?

Replies

• HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The problem is more likely to be your form rather than your shoes but good shoes do help on other realms. You should focus most of your weight on the balls of your foot. Try leaning forward as you run so gravity naturally projects you forward. If you are running when your heals strike the ground first, you are not only not running efficiently, but you are impacting your spine and knees more. HTH.
  • wvjules
    wvjules Posts: 1
    Options
    Get good running shoes ASAP! Go to a specialty running shoe store and have the experts watch your gait on a treadmill and measure your foot to find you the perfect shoe. Your feet, and heels, will thank you!
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    The pain in your heels could be from multiple things. Your shoes could be the culprit - depending on how old they are. If they're worn out (sneakers get worn out much faster than people think) and not supportive then that could be it. But it could also be because of your new to running or how your foot falls when you're running. I'd say go get you some new shoes - you'll probably spend close to $70, but that'll keep you running (wouldn't want to waste the money!) and pay attention to how your foot hits the ground when you're running. Make sure you're keeping your back/shoulders/hips in good form and concentrate on having your foot hit the group between the heel and middle of your foot.

I'm just finishing week 6 of C25K and I love it! Good luck to you! Repeat if needed, but don't give up!
  • cmbuchanan
    Options
    Definitely invest in running shoes. Get fitted at a store that specializes in running shoes. Expect to spend over $100, but it is completely worth it. Be very open with the person that is fitting you so he or she can help you find the right shoe. Good luck! You will be hooked on running in no time!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Being a "heel striker" as a runner is pretty common, and would account for heel pain to be sure. Most running shoes will have extra cushioning in the heel, as well as stabilization for supination or overpronation if you need it.

In the meantime, you can try shortening your stride so that you land more toward the front of your foot. There's a whole faction of runners out there who feel very strongly that this type of gait in flat shoes or barefoot is a preferable alternative to long strides & highly supportive shoes anyway...it's a hotly debated topic in many running communities. :) But reading up on some of that may give you some pointers as to how to baby your heel a bit until you decide to get more supportive shoes (if you decide that's the route for you).
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, if your heels are hurting, you could have too much heel strike in your stride. You don't want to hit your foot on the heel when you land, you actually want to land more on your midfoot, because that will minimize the amount of force your heels and knees have to absorb. Next time your out, try and pay attention to your strike, and where your heels are landing.

But running shoes will definitely help, no matter what pain you have, because they'll have more cushioning designed for running, and they will fit much better. If you have a running store nearby, try and go and get fitted, so that you'll know what shoe will work, and how your stride performs. And then once you have running shoes, ONLY wear them for running. It will help them last longer. It will probably be a bit pricier at first, but your joints will all thank you in the long run.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes...invest in some shoes. You don't necessarily have to spend $100+ on them (I got great ones for $50), but in order to protect the main parts which help you through the running--your legs...and knees...and feet--you need to invest in the shoes that help them out the most. There's no harm in going to a specialty store and having them tell you which type of shoe you should wear. Just because they tell you they have that shoe in store doesn't mean you HAVE to purchase it right then and there. Let them know you plan on buying a new pair in a couple of weeks or so (just so the sales person knows not to press too much) and let them do their fitting thing.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Edit: lots of info about striking your heel so here is an article about running form .... http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html

I wouldn't invest in running shoes after one week of c25k since you're likely running about a half-mile total and you're still getting a feel for whether or not you want to pursue running.

At about the 4th week you start venturing around a full mile and that's about when I would recommend that you start looking into getting some good running shoes. Consider it a reward for getting that far. :flowerforyou:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Improper footwear will cause pain. Before you do anything else, Go get fitted for actual Running shoes at a legitimate running store. They will look at your feet, the way you walk and the way you run. They will look at your current shoes and see where they are worn (Heel, mid foot, inside edge of shoe, outer edge of shoe, etc. THEN they can tell you what type of shoes you should be wearing. Avoid the discount type superstores (Wal Mart, Target etc) as you will not be properly fitted there.

Also you may want to look at your running form. Running shoes actually encourage a heavy heel strike which can cause pain. Ideally your foot should LAND on the mid to fore foot and with bent knees and not STRIKE with the heel. This helps to absorb a great deal of the shock on your ankles, knees and hips. Simplistically You should be in a falling forward type of posture while running.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    Wow, ok, yes, i do run like I walk, heel first. I didn't have any idea that was'nt the way to go. That's gonna take some practice.
    I know that I really do want to run, so I guess I will head to the runner's store tomorrow. Thank you all for the awesome advice, I'm gonna have to do a bit more research than the times for C25K :P
    Here's to falling forward :drinker:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great start. Another option is to take a Learn to Run Clinic at your local running store. That adds the component of personalized coaching and a person who can answer your questions (which may be specific to you... i.e. running form) :wink:

Running is a fun sport, and even better when you do it in a group.

Enjoy!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Wow, ok, yes, i do run like I walk, heel first. I didn't have any idea that was'nt the way to go. That's gonna take some practice.
    I know that I really do want to run, so I guess I will head to the runner's store tomorrow. Thank you all for the awesome advice, I'm gonna have to do a bit more research than the times for C25K :P
    Here's to falling forward :drinker:
    Good luck with it!! Be warned...running is very addictive. ;)
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    So, it's been a week since I tried my first C25k training... and my heel is still killing me.
    Tonight, I was walking down the hallway, and it was like a razor tore through it. The pain passed within 2 or 3 minutes, but the lingering tightness is the same as it was a week ago.
    Are there any stretches ya'll might recommend or should I just head to the doctor? I was going to go for a walk with my dog tonight cause I went over calories and my husband vetoed the idea because of my hobbling...
    Heck, even some workout ideas that don't involved me running, standing, or jumping on my heels would be helpful :P
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great start. Another option is to take a Learn to Run Clinic at your local running store. That adds the component of personalized coaching and a person who can answer your questions (which may be specific to you... i.e. running form) :wink:

Running is a fun sport, and even better when you do it in a group.

Enjoy!

I was hoping someone would suggest a little coaching. Shoes are only half the solution. If your form is out of line, you'll suffer from other pains in the future. Try running barefoot on grass or sand. That will force you to land mid-foot, which is the proper form, putting your weight over the part of the foot designed to handle it. A little coaching will go a looooooooooooooong way to making running more enjoyable.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    I did notice running across the yard with the kids I am much more on my toes... well the balls of my feet. But my heel never really comes down. It seems that landing mid-foot would cause my entire foot to make contact?
    I am kinda waiting for the pain in my heel to subside before I go to the running store, as my limping may mess up my running stride :P
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    I did notice running across the yard with the kids I am much more on my toes... well the balls of my feet. But my heel never really comes down. It seems that landing mid-foot would cause my entire foot to make contact?
    I am kinda waiting for the pain in my heel to subside before I go to the running store, as my limping may mess up my running stride :P

If you are running on the balls of your feet you'd really be feeling it in your calves. Yes, landing mid-foot is preferred.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    I picture myself stomping to get full foot contact at once, but I think I am getting the idea. Obviously I don't want to stomp, but that motion would result in full contact. I can't wait to try stomping forward, after I get shoes, at the running store, where they have running coaches :))
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    This is me running a 6:00 minute mile (10mph). Notice how my foot is about to land.

run5.jpg
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    So, it is solid and beneath your knee. I see the falling forward posture too. That helped alot.
    Did you just now have someone take that? Wait, it's dark outside, well here anyway :P
    Thanks a lot, really, a picture is worth a thousand words!~
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    It was taken by my wife at the mile 2.5 of a 5k. Just happened to be perfect timing.