Bodyfat reduceing failure.

Options
For the last 28 days I've been a strict calorie deficit and as a result I have lost 4 pounds but my body fat has gone up by almost 1%. From 19 to 19.8. I was really hoping I would have lost at least 2% body fat. I believe my mistake was I included way too much fruit over the last month, I would have had a fruit smoothie almost every night with mixed berries banana and sometimes Orange juice. I cut out processed fools, refined sugur, beer and hit my protein goals. I ate mainly lean chicken, beef and turkey with plenty of green vegetables for lunch and dinner and boiled eggs with kale protein shake for breakfast. I believed wrongly this was enough to cut bodyfat.
So anyway I'm going to attempt it again this time cutting way down on the fruit.
I'm looking for some recommendations and advice that will help me reduse my bodyfat over the next month.
I also workout 4 to 5 times a week, two of which are hit sessions.
Determined to get it right this time.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you used one of those hand held body fat devices or a scale to determine body fat. Those are highly inaccurate. Unless you had a Dexa scan ignore what the body fat percentage reading is. Based on your profile picture you're not 19%.

What's your lifting routine like?
  • mcdonagk
    mcdonagk Posts: 136 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you used one of those hand held body fat devices or a scale to determine body fat. Those are highly inaccurate. Unless you had a Dexa scan ignore what the body fat percentage reading is. Based on your profile picture you're not 19%.

What's your lifting routine like?

I'm more or less the same now as the profile picture, it's a few months old.
    I get my bodyfat done with a calipers and I know there are some inconsistencies with these.

The lifting routine would consist of two lifting sessions during the week, both upper and lower body. I change the routine each month.
    I also do two hit sessions which are mainly body exercises, TRX and the dreaded prowler.
    Once a week I practice the bench press which I will continue to do until I can press about 140% of my body weight.

• usmcmp
    Options
    How about following a progressive lifting routine that has you lifting 4 days per week followed by a quick HIIT session? You're going to get more bang for your buck with muscle retention that way and you'll likely progress on your bench press better with a structured program.

Your fruit intake has nothing to do with lean mass loss unless you aren't getting adequate protein. Sounds like you are trying to follow the "bro" bodybuilder diets. It's less frustrating if you fully enjoy your diet, there's nothing wrong with including pretty much any food as long as it fits your calories/macros.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    Even calipers have a fairly large margin of error. In other words, .8% is too fine a distinction for calipers to pick up. You could very easily have decreased fat percentage, but it will not register accurately with the calipers.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Wait, you wanted to lose 2% of your bodyfat in one month? How much do you weigh? That seems ambitious, if you were 175 it would mean either losing 10lb (if half fat half muscle) or somehow losing 3.5lb of fat while simultaneously gaining 3.5lb of muscle, or gaining 8lb of muscle and 2lb of fat. None of these seem like they would happen in one month...

Remember also that water is lean mass, so you cannot depend on one measurement EVEN if your device was accurate. You can't create the same conditions exactly for a comparison.
  • mcdonagk
    Options
    How about following a progressive lifting routine that has you lifting 4 days per week followed by a quick HIIT session? You're going to get more bang for your buck with muscle retention that way and you'll likely progress on your bench press better with a structured program.

Your fruit intake has nothing to do with lean mass loss unless you aren't getting adequate protein. Sounds like you are trying to follow the "bro" bodybuilder diets. It's less frustrating if you fully enjoy your diet, there's nothing wrong with including pretty much any food as long as it fits your calories/macros.

3 lifting sessions and two hit sessions suits me tbh, I include my bench press in that. But I'll take your advice and add another lifting session. The bench press training is done with a PT. I'm doing 5x5 at 80% of 1RM, which is set to increase from tomorrow.
  • mcdonagk
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The more I think about it something doesn't add up. Lean muscle on my arms and legs slightly increased. My legs stayed the same. The increase in BF seems to fall around the belly area so ya something didn't add up.
  • mcdonagk
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Based on your profile picture you're not 19%.

Also based on the fact I'm 42 it would be 2% lower if I was 39. Whats that about
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yea, looks like you're in the 12-15% range.
  • mcdonagk
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yea, looks like you're in the 12-15% range.
    Nice to read, thanks. If I could post a proper pic from my phone I would.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think there is a bodyfat measurement technique out there that is accurate down to 0.8% bodyfat. Can't really say that you have gained with such a small difference between measurements.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    mcdonagk wrote: »
    Based on your profile picture you're not 19%.

Also based on the fact I'm 42 it would be 2% lower if I was 39. Whats that about

It means you are visually lower than 19%. So I wouldn't trust the caliper measurement you got anyway.