Looking for shepherds pie recipes!

Options
Alishia6606
Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
In serious need of some good old comfort foods. Shepherds pie is what sounds the best to me right now, but want a healthy good tasting recipe. Anyone have any?

Replies

• xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Steak, blé d'inde, patates
    No other way to do shepard pie.
    Use lean meat, unsalted corn can ( or better corn on the cob you will have remove the cob) and mashed potatoes ( not too much butter.

Voilà! Pâté chinois!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    xaryo wrote: »
    Steak, blé d'inde, patates
    No other way to do shepard pie.
    Use lean meat, unsalted corn can ( or better corn on the cob you will have remove the cob) and mashed potatoes ( not too much butter.

Voilà! Pâté chinois!

Shepherds pie is lamb mince.

Cottage pie is beef mince
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yes - This one is amazing! (although it doesn't have lamb mince)

http://ourfourforks.com/moroccan-shepherds-pie-sweet-potato/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use 90% ground beef... brown it with a chopped onion in a pan. Add a small can of plain tomato sauce and frozen peas and carrots and let simmer until the liquid is gone (the tomato sauce makes it moister). Put the mixture in the pan with some mashed potatoes on top (whatever recipe you like - I just use potatoes and 1% milk) then bake for 20 minutes or so (you can add some shredded cheddar on top too).

Obviously you can use lamb too, but I'm too cheap for that.
  • Alishia6606
    Options
    Thanks guys! We will probably use beef, mostly because my husband won't eat lamb. I haven't made it in years this should be fun!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I got this one from Skinny Mom, and everyone in my house loved it.
    Shepard’s Pie

Ingredients

Mashed Potato Top:
    2 baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 pound)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    black pepper, to taste

Filling:
    1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup diced carrots
    1 onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 pound lean ground beef
    2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup low-sodium beef broth
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    black pepper, to taste
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 cup frozen corn

Instructions
    Preheat the oven to 350° F. If you're making individual servings, set out 5 small ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. If not, make the entire recipe in a large oven-proof skillet.

To make the mashed potatoes, place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil, cover and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, 10-12 minutes.

Drain the water and return the potatoes to the saucepan. Using an electric mixer, or a handheld potato masher, mix in the butter, almond milk, salt, and black pepper. Mash or beat to desired consistency and set aside.

To make the filling, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, carrots, onion and celery. Cook until the carrots begin to soften, 6-8 minutes.

Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.

Add the beef and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it is no longer pink.

Sprinkle the flour in the skillet and stir to coat the beef.

Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, thyme, oregano, salt, and black pepper.

Bring this mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 10 minutes.

Stir in the peas and corn, then take off the heat.

If using individual ramekins, fill 5 ramekins with a heaping ¾ cup of meat filling and spread ⅓ cup mashed potatoes on top. If not, simply spread the mashed potatoes in an even layer over the meat filling in the skillet.
    Place the ramekins on the baking sheet or the oven-proof skillet, and bake until heated through, 15 minutes.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I do 50:50 lean meat and finely minced mushroom, and a full onion sautéed. Add broth and thickener to make a gravy. Add a layer of corn and peas, then top layer is 50:50 mashed cauliflower and potato.
  • anntoureilles
    anntoureilles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I looove this recipe. It uses ground turkey and is low cal and delicious!

foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/individual-turkey-shepherds-pie-recipe.html
  • Imthempres
    Imthempres Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do a quick and dirty shepherds pie. I brown ground turkey with finely diced onions, carrots, garlic, and Bragg's Aminos or soy sauce. When all is cooked, I add peas. I microwave a potato, smash it, and add a scant dab of butter. Top with the meat mixture.
  • Alishia6606
    Options
    I was going to make this over the weekend but decided to do it tonight instead. Now I have to choose which one to try!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just can't help posting this- it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this post
    f2jw6ts35wpv.jpg
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I do 50:50 lean meat and finely minced mushroom, and a full onion sautéed. Add broth and thickener to make a gravy. Add a layer of corn and peas, then top layer is 50:50 mashed cauliflower and potato.

Oh, this sounds wonderful!
  • loigru
    loigru Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Iowagirleats.com has a shepherd's pie that mixes mashed cauliflower and potatoes together for the topping. Quite good
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've done cottage pie with all cauliflower, no potatoes. I liked it a lot. Of course, I really like cauliflower.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like cooking the ground beef (or turkey) with onions, garlic, red wine, and a bit of cinnamon. Keep it easy for the last two. I also like adding a bit of grated hard cheese, like parmesan or asagio, to the potatoes or just sprinkled over the top before baking. yum!
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like mine made with frozen mixed veggies for ease of preparation. Ground beef or lamb depending on everyone's mood. Mixed all in with tomato sauce. My personal favorite is topping with mashed sweet potatoes. Not traditional I suppose, but the fun in dishes like these is figuring out the way you like it best. My sister uses peas, mushrooms, beef and brown gravy in her filling which is delicious as well.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    "This version of shepherd's pie is a layered casserole of ground beef, carrots, and onion in a homemade gravy. It's topped with Cheddar mashed potatoes."

INGREDIENTS:
    4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup fat free shredded Cheddar cheese
    salt and pepper to taste
    5 carrots, chopped
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 onion, chopped
    1 pound 95 % lean ground beef
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    3/4 cup fat free sodium free beef broth
    1/4 cup fat free shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash. Mix in butter, finely chopped onion and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
    2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, mash and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
    3. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat, then stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add ketchup and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
    4. Spread the ground beef in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Next, spread a layer of mashed carrots. Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
    5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.