Sport Jelly Beans

Options
Has anyone used these during races? I have been using only fluids.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've tried them (and the gummy blocks too) but it turns out that anything I try to chew while I'm running makes me immediately feel like I'm going to heave, so they were a total no-go. Thankfully I tested them on a training run and not in a race. I can tolerate sport drink or like 2 flavours of gel (fruit only, no creamy/chocolatey) and that's it, apparently.

Everyone's different though.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I've tried them (and the gummy blocks too) but it turns out that anything I try to chew while I'm running makes me immediately feel like I'm going to heave, so they were a total no-go. Thankfully I tested them on a training run and not in a race. I can tolerate sport drink or like 2 flavours of gel (fruit only, no creamy/chocolatey) and that's it, apparently.

The guy running next to me during my first half-marathon was very impressed with how far I managed to hurl the contents of a Gu pack while still keeping running.

Lesson learned. I now stick to my gummy blocks and don't try anything new in the middle of a race.

See, we are all different, I've had no problems with Gu packs, any flavor. Of course, I tried them out in training before using them in a race. ;- )
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I like Honey Stinger Chews, but they're difficult to get in the UK. I've also used SIS gels and whilst they're ok, I find my stomach rebelling after four. I generally take one every thirty minutes in HMs or Marathons.

I'm trialling Tailwind at a trail marathon on Sunday, tried a sample at an Ultra a month or so ago and it seemed quite gentle on the stomach. What I'll try is a combination of Tailwind and SIS gels.

Never tried Sportsbeans
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Those jelly beans you mention don't taste good to me at all.. I know I probably should not worry about taste but running with a bitter terrible taste in my mouth keeps me from focusing.. LOL

I am a Honey Stinger Chew or Honey Stinger Waffle person my self. I repackage them for easier access from my pack. Can't even look a Gel or Gu Pack..

Different strokes for different folks.. Get you some different things to try out while you are training.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I've tried the jelly beans you speak of and all it did was make my mouth extra watery, therefore I spent a lot of the race spitting. (sorry, people next to me). My energy level was no different, but it was only a 10k.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I love the sport jelly beans!! The gu doesn't really agree with me. I bought a bunch of different kinds to try out: gu, clif bloks and jelly beans. I liked the taste of the Clif Bloks the best, but they are so big!!

Please note, I only use these on runs that are over 1 hour. I finish 10K races in under an hour so I would not use these in a 10K, but would stick with water and/or gatorade in a Hydration Belt so I can drink what I want when I want. Also, I cannot take them ahead of time, or it hurts my stomach. I start taking them about 30 minutes into a race. I alternate between caffeinated and uncaffeinated and take about a 1/2 pack at a time about every 20 minutes.

I would just recommend to try them all during your long runs, and see what works best for you. As you can see from these posts, everyone like something different, but I LOVE the Sport jelly beans.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    ive used them at concert. really helpe da buddy out who had too much, too fast during the show
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have used them, I prefer them to guu or gels.
  • JJVegas80
    JJVegas80 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

The guy running next to me during my first half-marathon was very impressed with how far I managed to hurl the contents of a Gu pack while still keeping running.

Lesson learned. I now stick to my gummy blocks and don't try anything new in the middle of a race.

That is awesome. LOL
  • JJVegas80
    JJVegas80 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love the sport jelly beans!! The gu doesn't really agree with me. I bought a bunch of different kinds to try out: gu, clif bloks and jelly beans. I liked the taste of the Clif Bloks the best, but they are so big!!

Please note, I only use these on runs that are over 1 hour. I finish 10K races in under an hour so I would not use these in a 10K, but would stick with water and/or gatorade in a Hydration Belt so I can drink what I want when I want. Also, I cannot take them ahead of time, or it hurts my stomach. I start taking them about 30 minutes into a race. I alternate between caffeinated and uncaffeinated and take about a 1/2 pack at a time about every 20 minutes.

I would just recommend to try them all during your long runs, and see what works best for you. As you can see from these posts, everyone like something different, but I LOVE the Sport jelly beans.

Thanks Beeerrunner, did you read the post from Bruinsgal? I'm going to try the jelly bean, I like jelly beans. I'm hoping that adding some fuel during my long runs will improve my stamina and time.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @JJVegas80 ...I did see that...Lol!!

Yeah...it's good to experiment on your training long runs and find out what works. I like the jelly beans because they are small, I can eat 1/2 a pack and stash the remaining pack in my hydration belt without making a complete mess of goo everywhere, they are easy to chew, and they taste pretty good. I definitely feel like they give me some pep and help keep me going. I'll be using them tomorrow in my HM!! :smiley:
  • Amber_hanson27
    Amber_hanson27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of the jelly beans but they make me want to chug water. It's like to tangy or something. Same to the gels. Would love to see all other suggestions!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate chewing while you run (I'm more of gel type myself) save yourself some $$ and get regular jelly beans and carry them in a zip-lock bag. I'm cheapskate...... I mean I'm frugal (I make my own gel too.... 3 parts honey, 1 pat molasses, pinch of salt and a little water to thin it out in a gel flask)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    The sport beans got me through 2 half marathons and 1 full marathon as well as cross country ski racing 55k. I much prefer them to gels.