not losing weight

I'm 19 years old, my height is 166 and my weight is 58 kilos, I eat around 800 calories or below per day I have been on this diet for around 2 months now and lost only 2 kilos

Replies

• Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    A) 800 calories is far too few

B ) Your weight is well within the healthy range and any loss will be slow.

C) Eat at least 1200 calories per day. Use a food scale for accuracy. But your body is still maturing. You need the fuel to keep yourself healthy, pretty and feeling the energy of youth.
  • stuhrmette2016
    stuhrmette2016 Posts: 1 Member
    You can not expect to lose weight on 800 kcal a day. You are starving your body and any weight you do lose will not only be fat but also muscle. You body is probably clinging to every calorie you eat, because it thinks it is starving.
    Aim for at least 1200, personally i still think this is low if you are active.
    I am 18 years old, 172cm, 62 kg. And on a 1500 kcal diet i am losing 1 kg a week doing a little strenght and cardio every day.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited October 2016
    You must be eating more than you think it is unlikely that you would have only lost 2kilos eating that little amount of food.

Your weight is already quite low and in the healthy weight range, weight loss is going to be low and slow.

That said, 800cals is way too little for any adult, at the very least an adult female should be eating at least 1200cals.

Consistent and substantial under eating will result in more lean body mass than is desirable. Reduced muscle will result in lower metabolism. If you have excess body fat to lose, that is the weight you want to lose. You have little excess weight to lose, how much more weight do you want to lose? Focus on maintaining or building muscle instead...you will look leaner without compromising your health.

Significant under eating will impact on your health in other ways too...hair loss, fatigue, etc.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,244 Member
    There is no magic so you are eating more than 800 cals a day if you've only lost 2kg.

Which is good!

Because 800cals would make you very sick very soon. Your hair will start to fall for one.
    At your weight 1kg/month is the most one can hope for as the energy you spend to support your day is not much. So it is difficult to make a large deficit (if not impossible).
    So if you keep doing what you're doing you will lose more (at this not bad loss rate).

There will be lots of people here that will start telling you to eat more. You are already eating more than 800 so you don't need to be eating more.
    That said, maybe reconsider your goal to lose weight and maybe think of body recomposition which is losing fat and gaining muscle while keeping the same weight on the scale. This can be achieved by eating at maintanance calories and doing a strenght programme.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    edited October 2016
    You can not expect to lose weight on 800 kcal a day. You are starving your body and any weight you do lose will not only be fat but also muscle. You body is probably clinging to every calorie you eat, because it thinks it is starving.
    Aim for at least 1200, personally i still think this is low if you are active.
    I am 18 years old, 172cm, 62 kg. And on a 1500 kcal diet i am losing 1 kg a week doing a little strenght and cardio every day.

You are describing "starvation mode", which does not apply in this situation, and certainly not the way you stated. If one is completely depleted of any excess fat, until the point of the body using muscle because you literally have no body fat, then you can use starvation mode. Obviously this is not the case. This is a myth for almost everyone, and should not even be mentioned.

There are people who have WLS, who intake as little as 400 calories, and they lose weight just fine. They are not starving, they are not in starvation mode, they are losing weight because they are consuming so few calories. That is the way it works.
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Hun, I'm 19 too & I used to eat 700-800 calories a day. Firstly, I don't believe the people in the comments because I was losing at least 3.5lbs a week and that got me to my LW (low weight) of 120lbs at 5'5. Are you sure you're eating 800 calories? & how long how you been eating that for? I know if you eat the same amount of calories for too long you're body will get accustomed to it & weight loss will slow down. I advise eating 1200 calories a day and burning off at least 300 calories in the gym or just by exercising. That's what I'm doing currently. It's more healthier.

Good luck ❤️.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    I'm 19 years old, my height is 166 and my weight is 58 kilos, I eat around 800 calories or below per day I have been on this diet for around 2 months now and lost only 2 kilos

OP, you are already in a healthy weight range for your height. Is there a specific goal you're aiming for?

I would hazard a guess you're eating more than you think you are, but the mindset of aiming for 800 calories is very concerning.