Can you get lean without any exercise

Options
Hi there!

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get lean without any actual exercise?
If I ate within my calories suggested to loose weight and stuck to whole foods, inc good fats and protein would I still loose weight and be lean?

Any advice would be great :) thanks!

Replies

• leah9985
    leah9985 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ok that's helpful thank you! Basically I'm loosely following Joe Wicks - The Body Coach but finding his HIIT work outs really hard as I've not really hit exercise since I stopped the gym a couple of years ago! I was thinking I could follow his meal plans but cut out the exercise and drop to fewer carbs! I find all this food nutritional information mind boggling
  • Constant_Nova
    Constant_Nova Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    try walking! eventually you will need some weights to tone up but you definitely have to get some excerise in to get lean!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    You arent going to get more defined and tone without working for it. But if you are having trouble with the work out you started switch and find a different work out that you can build on as you get stronger and more fit. You really dont want to risk injury by jumping into a program your bodh isnt ready for.
  • leah9985
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Change the exercise - don't drop the exercise!

Such good advice! Thank you
  • leah9985
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    You arent going to get more defined and tone without working for it. But if you are having trouble with the work out you started switch and find a different work out that you can build on as you get stronger and more fit. You really dont want to risk injury by jumping into a program your bodh isnt ready for.

Thank you! Think I'll look up some work outs to do! I'm a mum of 2 so need to find work outs to do from home!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    leah9985 wrote: »

Thank you! Think I'll look up some work outs to do! I'm a mum of 2 so need to find work outs to do from home!

I'm a mom too and it can be hard to find time between work and kids. I do Insanity Max30 at home and like it for the modified track option. Its an investment though and I only purchased it after having done the classes to try it. I also got a resistance stepper and some light hand weights from Amazon (less than $50 all together) and can get a good workout in on that while watching TV at night.
  • leah9985
    Options
    leah9985 wrote: »

I'm a mom too and it can be hard to find time between work and kids. I do Insanity Max30 at home and like it for the modified track option. Its an investment though and I only purchased it after having done the classes to try it. I also got a resistance stepper and some light hand weights from Amazon (less than $50 all together) and can get a good workout in on that while watching TV at night.

That's awesome! Thank you, I'll look into that
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've discovered I can't. If I don't exercise I have to eat ridiculously little and I plateau a lot. Some people have no problems just doing it by managing eating though. Everyone is different.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Change the exercise - don't drop the exercise!

This
  • LPJM1710
    LPJM1710 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are fortunate, you are young and have a faster metabolism it would be a shame not to make use of it. I used to to do HIIT but prefer the softer approach. But if you are concerned about doing little exercise there is one thing you can do that will help you get toned that doesn't take up much time but will pump up your heart rate very quickly as well as help you lose weight fast and that is sprinting. If you can do six 30 second sprints you can use up to 300 calories of exercise. But don't try to do more than a couple of days a week
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have attempted exercise off and on but haven't been able to create a habit and what I've attempted was walking mostly and I tried to do daily planking, but didn't even get past a week! I'm not a fan of the experience though I wish I were. Only in the last few weeks I've started lifting since I found a friend with experience to guide me. I like it pretty well and can actually see myself sticking to it. But, i just started doing that in the last 3 weeks.
    I've had a surprising amount of body composition changes, even without scale weight loss, without exercise. This pic shows a 2 pound loss but my weight fluctuates within a 5 pound range all the time and as of this morning, like many other mornings over the past year, the scale is reading 140 again. I'm still the size I am in the most recent pic though...
    47njabrk6vql.jpg

I had these changes without regular exercise, averaging about 6,000 steps a day too. And I'm 41 years old.
    Though, I do think exercise is very important and I wish I had incorporated it more because I'm sure I would be even more pleased with my fat loss if I had. Not to mention the health benefits that have nothing to do with fat loss.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I lost all my weight one time without any exercise..all diet. I looked just fine...very good actually. When many on here talk about having to tone up .. i think in my head. "you just need to lose more fat and you're in denial".. because when the fat is gone.. you look good.

Yes, exercise is good to burn calories.. improve your heart and lung health.. so good for regulating blood sugar. That's why i do it now... but when i look at my belly and arm fat. I know the truth. i need to lose the fat..that is that.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    To drop lbs...eat less.
    To be able to eat more or create a bigger deficit...walk/cardio,etc.
    To change the way your body looks and to have strength.... weights.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try fitnessblender.com! All of their workouts are 100% free and they offer workout plans for under 15USD I think for an 8 week program that tells you which of their workouts to do when. They do use HIIT a couple times a week but often show low impact / easier ways to do each move. All you need is dumbbells and they have programs from 30min a day to 60.

I can not recommend enough! I am also a mom and these are perfect for me + have really changed my shape and made me ENJOY working out!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    LPJM1710 wrote: »
    You are fortunate, you are young and have a faster metabolism it would be a shame not to make use of it. I used to to do HIIT but prefer the softer approach. But if you are concerned about doing little exercise there is one thing you can do that will help you get toned that doesn't take up much time but will pump up your heart rate very quickly as well as help you lose weight fast and that is sprinting. If you can do six 30 second sprints you can use up to 300 calories of exercise. But don't try to do more than a couple of days a week

1) People don't have slower or faster metabolisms, they have a different TDEE.

2) 300 calories for 3 minutes of exercise is absurd. If this was the case I don't see why obesity would exist. 30 mins of exercise and everyone could eat an additional 3000 calories, guilt free.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without exercise. As far as getting lean that may depend on what you mean. You can get skinny, but if you want to look toned then you should do some exercise. I walk a lot and I think my legs look pretty good. I also do yoga and it has really helped with my arms and my core. I would like to lift weights but can't right now because my doctor has advised against it. I think I would look more lean if I did, but the walking and the yoga for help. Plus I can eat more if I am more active so I will keep walking for that reason.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some years ago, a trainer gave me an expression - be careful not to change from a tub of lard to a pat of butter. You can lose weight through calorie deficit, but you won't necessarily be "lean" without some muscle. I agree, some HIIT programs can be pretty intense. Like any exercise - we need to begin at our current level.