How accurate is the calorie counter?

Options
I'm finding that the calorific value which comes up when you log some foods is way over. For example, a pizza express margherita pizza came up as nearly twice as much as it actually is. Is there a way I can amend or enter the calories manually?

Replies

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    How do you know what it actually is?
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'd double check that you're understanding of the packaging you have is correct. Looking in the Database, it shows that half the pizza is either 260 calories or 312, depending on the size. This actually seems low to me, but you're seeming to suggest that this is high? Which means you think the whole pizza should only be 260/312?
    I suspect the base of the pizza alone is at least 250.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'd double check that you're understanding of the packaging you have is correct. Looking in the Database, it shows that half the pizza is either 260 calories or 312, depending on the size. This actually seems low to me, but you're seeming to suggest that this is high? Which means you think the whole pizza should only be 260/312?
    I suspect the base of the pizza alone is at least 250.

Sorry - what I'm saying is that mfp states it is higher in calories - much higher - than the info given on pizza express website.
    It's just an example but I've noticed others.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    How do you know what it actually is?

I've checked on their website. Unless they're lying about it but they actually have a list of nutritional info about the products you can get in their restaurants (which may be different from the products bought in shops)
    In any case that's just one example.
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    The Pizza Express 2016 'Our Food Calories and Nutrition' shows the Margherita as being 729 calories.
    I've found the correct entry in the data base under "Pizza Express Restaurant - Margherita Classic"
    Calories 729
    Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 23 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g
    Total Carbs 91 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 6 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 11 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 36 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    And if you bought it in store, then the nutritional information shows that half a pizza is 312 calories.
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=261384030
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    So yes, if you found an entry that stated that the pizza you ate was actually 1458, then yes, it's wrong.
    Maybe you could give more details on which entry it was?
    As for applying this across the board, the correct item is usually in there somewhere, so try scrolling down until you find one what corresponds with the information you have. So if you know you've had 100g of yoghurt, and know that it should be X amount of calories, then thats the amount you should tally your entry with.
    Sometimes even barscan codes are a bit off. Don't forget, the data base is made up of entries people have inputted. You can report an incorrect entry. You can also enter your calories manually, or add a new entry to the database.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    OK, that makes sense. Maybe I've not been scrolling down far enough! Also it's possible that the pizza express info was for half a pizza,which hadn't occurred to me (who goes to pizza express and only eats half of their pizza!)
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A lot of people actually. I can't do it, but the wife does it all the time. We go to Blaze's pizza, and their personal pizzas aren't too big, never been to Pizza Express, but i'm assuming it's the same concept. Essentially the subway of pizza places.
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    (who goes to pizza express and only eats half of their pizza!)

You're preaching to the choir there! Same with whoever does those pizzas where they've removed a load from the middle and replaced it with salad. They just took the best bit out of the pizza!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Pizza express do their range of pizza in store that has a hole out of the middle and filled with salad all of them are under 500 cals and I don't feel deprived, which I do eating half. Ok let's not lie I've never only eaten half. X
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    ericwhitt wrote: »
    A lot of people actually. I can't do it, but the wife does it all the time. We go to Blaze's pizza, and their personal pizzas aren't too big, never been to Pizza Express, but i'm assuming it's the same concept. Essentially the subway of pizza places.

I do struggle with a whole pizza but feel cheated if I leave it!
    As for the ones with the hole in them....My daughter eats those. She's taller than I am but the same weight. She watches her calories so she doesn't gain - I'm trying to gain! Just shows how different we are about body image!
  • Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you can convince Pizza Express to do you a children's meal, the pizzas are just as big as the "light" adult ones, just as tasty (if you don't mind the less imaginative toppings), and lower in calories. Plus, you get a free appetizer, dessert and drink.

(The appetizer is dough balls, which frankly never fit into my calorie allowance and I always give away. I just eat the tiny bit of salad they come with. They have kids' desserts and drinks that are really low in calories, though!)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are you sure about that entry? NO sodium at all in a commercial food product? That's not user-entered by someone who doesn't care about tracking salt?
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options

You're preaching to the choir there! Same with whoever does those pizzas where they've removed a load from the middle and replaced it with salad. They just took the best bit out of the pizza!

Good thing the FDA is changing how calories are displayed. Companies have until July 26, 2018 to comply. I go to make a small package of popcorn, and it says "serving size is 2 tbsp unpopped" and I'm just like ".............really? You expect me to open the back of popcorn and then pop it separately? Why not even put how many cups it is popped?"

The changes coming in 2018 will also put realistic expectations of a serving size. 1 12oz soda will be 1 serving. Also, 1 24 oz bottle will be 1 serving size because, typically, when people get a small package of something, they eat the whole thing. Not part of it.

Source: http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options

Good thing the FDA is changing how calories are displayed. Companies have until July 26, 2018 to comply. I go to make a small package of popcorn, and it says "serving size is 2 tbsp unpopped" and I'm just like ".............really? You expect me to open the back of popcorn and then pop it separately? Why not even put how many cups it is popped?"

The changes coming in 2018 will also put realistic expectations of a serving size. 1 12oz soda will be 1 serving. Also, 1 24 oz bottle will be 1 serving size because, typically, when people get a small package of something, they eat the whole thing. Not part of it.

Source: http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm

I really hope this happens, and applies to the UK as well.
    Because once, a chicken wrap made me cry.
    Let me explain.
    I had finished at the gym. I was almost 3 stone down from my original weight. I was exhausted, and wanted to grab a post-gym snack/meal.. Pottering around the local Morrisons, my husband and I picked up a couple of things. Something catches my eye, and I pick it up. A wrap 'kit' - essentially, some chicken, cheese, sauce, and a wrap, separated out.
    It was cheap, and the calorie information on the front said something like 250 calories. Woah. Awesome! So in my basket it went.
    We got home, and as I opened the packet, I looked at the front again. 250 calories, for the pieces of chicken.
    Just the chicken.
    Were they expecting people to only eat the chicken and throw the rest of the kit out?!
    On the back they then had everything separated out. Now, I understand that bit, as some people might not use the sauce or might not use the cheese. But on the front, should have been the calorie information for a portion, like, one wrap or something.
    I added up the entire kit, which I'm pretty sure made two wraps, and I slid to the floor in my kitchen and I cried. I was very very tired that day, and I was trying so damn hard to be healthy. People who haven't had to go through what overweight people go through won't understand, but it is a battle, every damn day.
    And here was a company MAKING IT MORE DIFFICULT.
    I was so angry. So upset.

So, I complained to Morrisons, who are a big name brand. And y'know what? They fixed their packaging and apologised. But this is happening all the time.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It's never accurate - even on packaging. The FDA allows a 20% margin of error...TWENTY PERCENT!!!!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Jeyradan wrote: »
    If you can convince Pizza Express to do you a children's meal, the pizzas are just as big as the "light" adult ones, just as tasty (if you don't mind the less imaginative toppings), and lower in calories. Plus, you get a free appetizer, dessert and drink.

(The appetizer is dough balls, which frankly never fit into my calorie allowance and I always give away. I just eat the tiny bit of salad they come with. They have kids' desserts and drinks that are really low in calories, though!)

Thing is, I'm trying to gain weight! Good tip though...