I finally did it...I ran for 20 minutes straight!

Options
It feels so good to finally have accomplished this goal as I am making my way through the c25k running plan. This was the hardest part of the plan as I had not had any problems on any of the other days. The first time I attempted, I ran 17 minutes...the second time, I did 15 minutes. Today, I was determined to run all 20 minutes with no walking or slowing down. I made a fun playlist on my Ipod, covered up the minutes on the treadmill and just RAN :)

After estimating that I was almost done, I looked at my time and I only had like 2 minutes left...and I cranked it out with no problems! I am excited...and impressed by the way my body works when I just make progress day to day.

Thank you all who have encouraged me and gave me tips over the past week. I couldn't have done it without encouragement!

Replies

• crystalmichelle82
    Options
    WTG! I love running but it's rough on my knees and i dont have a treadmill. I like going to the YMCA b/c they have a padded track. :smile:
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    That's great! Congrats! Keep up the hard work. :wink:
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yeah for you! Felt good afterwards.., didn't it? Keep up the good work!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Good job, keep it up. Booya!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. You'll be hitting the 30 minute mark soon.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hey congratz! I'm just getting back out there again myself, can't wait until I can do 20 minutes again =)
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    Awesome! I did C25K and recently ran 45 minutes. It's such a great feeling; I never thought I would be able to run that long without stopping. Once I got to 20 minutes, I found it much easier to add time. I went from 30 minutes to 45 in a couple days.

Best of luck and a huge congratulations!
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    congrats. I have a new treadmill that I am going to try some things with. My knees are bad but I may just try to do a challenge to myself to run for 30 mins.
  • sjklaus
    sjklaus Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What a great feeling to have!!! Way to go!!!
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!! Congrats :)
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! I had started the C25K but had to stop because I run with my daughter in the stroller and the weather wasn't the best for her outside. I've decided though that on bad weather days I'll just run laps around my yard cause I can't not run anymore. I really found the first week the hardest because it took me a little while to get my breathing just right, so I hope this time, now that I have everything in check, it's alot easier. You should be so proud of yourself!!!
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, that's awesome!! I'm doing a run/walk program too and have just gotten to the point where I can run for 5 minutes...I can't wait until I'm where you are, running a full 20! Congratulations!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    AWESOME!!! i did all 3 miles a few weeks ago and it took 48 minutes. i havn't been able to do it since (i blame it on the heat!) but the feeling was great. keep it up!
  • pavanneh
    pavanneh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! So glad for you!
  • aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I remember when I ran that day on C25K.... It was the highlight of my WEEK.. I did the same as you, covered up the time on the treadmill and just kept truckin'... Congrats!!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Great, I am starting week 4 with only 5 minutes. I have heard that the 20 minutes is hard to get through so congrats!
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    good job im only on week 2 anticipating week 5 :)
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    WAY TO GO! I remember when I first ran for 20 minutes straight. I felt on top of the world!
    I've been slacking lately so I probably can't do it now. (I'm waiting to get more supportive shoes)...
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Once I got to 20 minutes, I found it much easier to add time.

I agree - 20 minutes seemed like a magic number for me too.

Congratulations on achieving your goal - and keep up the good work! :smile: