what do you do with discouraging comments?

enidite
enidite Posts: 92 Member
Hi, I have not posted here , but today I have a question for all you successful people out there. My weight loss journey has been going slow but steady. I had backslidden and gained some back, but I am back in Onderland and have lost a total of 75 lbs with 65 to go. I don't advertise my weight loss at work, but when I am asked, I answer questions. I have a colleague who asked me what my goal is and I told him 135 lbs, which I feel is reasonable for my height (I'm 5'4"). He told me I won't make that , I'll probably stall at around 170 and that's it. I kind of felt frustrated especially because I am so afraid to put the weight back on. Last year, the same colleague had told me, I probably have lost all the weight I could, because my body was used to the higher weight and has now a higher set point. I'm not sure why he says things like that, I don't think he has ill intentions, but I really don't know how to deal with such comments. They really demoralize me especially because this journey has not been easy for me. Sometimes it's been a daily struggle to learn this new life style. I try to think of all the people here that have achieved amazing results and I try to think " why shouldn't I be able to reach such a goal even at 52?" But comments like that make me doubt that I'll ever get there.

Replies

• c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    I am hoping this is just his "ignorance" showing and hes not being malicious. At any rate, I would let him know that while you are aware of his opinion, you do not feel it necessary to discuss your weight loss with him. It's a private matter. If that doesn't work, try to avoid any situation that would warrant this personal conversation.
  • blackchick46
    blackchick46 Posts: 27 Member
    i agree with all the above
  • Hmeek22
    Hmeek22 Posts: 15 Member
    I agree with all of the above it is none of his business. But hey, maybe instead of letting him get to you, give him a swift kick in the teeth and prove him wrong. We are all with you on this journey, I sometimes think my height/weight goals seem unreachable but I'm still aiming for them! Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!