Females Using Protein Powder to Lose Weight!

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you plan on eating the same way, and just adding a protein shake to your day, your just going to be consuming more calories, and making it more difficult to lose weight. I think unfortunately thinks like shakeology, body bi vi, and things like that have made people think they need a protein shake to lose weight, when it is really just a supplement to get more protein in your diet if you struggling with that.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time hitting even low amounts of protein in my diet. I switch between a whey powder and a vegan one. Not going to lie, the vegan one smells like fish food and I can only really drink it with a LOT of ice and almond milk.

Keep in mind if your on a low calorie budget that protein powders tend to fall between 120-180 calories on their own. I mix mine with coffee and a cup of 2% milk in the morning and its almost 300 calories. For myself I don't really like to eat when I wake up and this keeps me full for ages.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    SaraJC2016 wrote: »
    I just tried again to start losing weight and think that I may want to use protein powder but have no idea how to start. I have never used it before and know next to nothing about it. If anyone can explain to me effective ways to use it to help lose weight and recommend products to try that would be wonderful!

Protein powder is just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets if you're otherwise not doing so with food...it's just a supplement...it doesn't do anything for weight loss...people supplement with it regardless of their weight management objectives.
    While the calorie difference is true, protein is crucial for health and higher protein diet can lead to weight loss and health benefits. Especially consuming protein and fiber earlier in the day can keep you feeling fuller and curb your appetite.
    I would recommend meal replacement of 1 protein drink per day, since they are nutrient dense. I recommend Orgain vegan protein powder, or light muscle milk, with lower saturated fats. Good luck to you.

Protein powder does not qualify as a meal replacement...it is not nutrient dense...it's just protein...it's rather nutrient void as a meal replacement. Meal replacement shakes exists for that purpose and have other nutrients that a protein supplement wouldn't provide.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I use a vegan protein powder and find that when I add extra protein to my meals it curbs my hunger.

It curbs your hunger because you are adding calories to your meals. There is no magic happening.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/01/26/ajcn.115.119339.abstract

I wouldn't say it does nothing. Typically, protein is digested more slowly than carbs and fats which helps control your blood sugar and as a result, your appetite. It also helps preserve or even build muscle while on a calorie deficit. Aside from helping you look better, increased muscle mass burns more calories.

I agree that it is only a suppliment and not some magic weight loss powder or something you should base your diet on but it absolutely does have benefits.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I use 2 GNC LEAN SHAKES , 1 MEAL UNDER 500 CALORIES, AND 3 SNACKS THAT FIT INTO MY CALORIC DEFICIT
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    tl;dr all the posts..

Protein shakes do not fill me up at all of course unless I drink them with a nice calorie snack or meal.

But I got to thinking about this and because we burn calories when we eat food/digest food, the TEF (thermo effect from food.. calories we burn digesting) cannot be the same as if you had consumed solid protein i.e. chicken breast. meat eggs, yogurt etc.. this was just off the top of my head and brain storming.. LOL

Anyway back on point, the only thing protein does for me is it has to fill in the gap if I am not going to meet protein for the day. I actually hate to have to drink these at all its like taking medicine. But I know at the end of the day meeting the protein is more important.. but I would never use these as a meal replacement ..

there is one other good proponent, they can be hydrating too.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use a high protein meal replacement shake because I wasn't getting enough protein before, and it's made a big difference for me. I was hungry all the time and had a hard time sticking to eating plans, but now it's pretty easy for me. It might not help everyone but it definitely does help me. It isn't magic - you still have to count calories, and if you lose weight by using these shakes, you might have to keep drinking them after you've lost it to maintain your weight. I don't mind that because I like the taste of them and enjoy them particularly for breakfast. They're quick and easy and what I would prefer regardless of whether I was trying to lose weight. I didn't like how the whey-based shakes felt on my stomach so I use a vegan one. There are lots of options as far as brands and what kind of protein they use.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I find protein (and fat and fiber) more satiating than some carbs so incorporate protein powder into my breakfast smoothie:

8210611eeb0933047677875f6941e62d.png

I add a pinch of salt.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »

I wouldn't say it does nothing. Typically, protein is digested more slowly than carbs and fats which helps control your blood sugar and as a result, your appetite. It also helps preserve or even build muscle while on a calorie deficit. Aside from helping you look better, increased muscle mass burns more calories.

I agree that it is only a suppliment and not some magic weight loss powder or something you should base your diet on but it absolutely does have benefits.

Appetite and satiety are issues that I believe can be controlled by the individual so won't comment on that.

Yes protein is great at preserving muscle alongside sufficient stimulus (weight training etc) however you cannot build muscle in a deficit without the addition of drugs/hormones.

To add; you don't need a protein shakes if you can hit your protein goal from real food. This is for people who struggle to meet their requirements!
  • Chadxx
    edited October 2016
    Options

Appetite and satiety are issues that I believe can be controlled by the individual so won't comment on that.

Yes protein is great at preserving muscle alongside sufficient stimulus (weight training etc) however you cannot build muscle in a deficit without the addition of drugs/hormones.

To add; you don't need a protein shakes if you can hit your protein goal from real food. This is for people who struggle to meet their requirements!

You absolutely can build muscle while in a calorie deficit. People do it all the time. I have done it in the past and I am doing now. In fact, I have been doing it on a large calorie deficit and I have never touched PED's in my life. Having a calorie deficit does not mean your body isn't getting the calories it needs. It simply means your body must pull those calories from it's stored fat which is the whole purpose of stored fat.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

You absolutely can build muscle while in a calorie deficit. People do it all the time. I have done it in the past and I am doing now. In fact, I have been doing it on a large calorie deficit and I have never touched PED's in my life. Having a calorie deficit does not mean your body isn't getting the calories it needs. It simply means your body must pull those calories from it's stored fat which is the whole purpose of stored fat.

:'(

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

There's not muscle building without resistance training....and beyond newbie gains, there is not going to be much muscle building in a deficit.
    The only benefits it really has is increasing protein in your diet.

The only time a protein shake fills me up is if I add lots of fiber and a decent amount of fat.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Protein powder is not really for weight loss. A calorie deficit is what creates weight loss.

True, although for some people the protein powder leads to a calorie deficit. First (and only) time I tried the stuff it gave me the most horrible stomach cramps followed by projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea. Quickest way to (temporarily) lose a couple of pounds. :p

• Chadxx
    Options

There's not muscle building without resistance training....and beyond newbie gains, there is not going to be much muscle building in a deficit.

The only time a protein shake fills me up is if I add lots of fiber and a decent amount of fat.

1- Of course you have to work the muscle for it to grow.

2- Most people trying to lose a lot of weight are newbies and there is a big difference between not much and absolutely cannot. Also, not everyone's body responds the same and not all caloric deficits are the same. To simply tell people that they cannot build muscle unless they are gaining weight is ignorant and does them a disservice.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I will substitute a protein bar for lunch or have a protein shake for breakfast. The protein bar (I eat clif) takes forever to eat and I feel very full for hours afterward. I use isopure flavorless protein with 26g(ish) protein per scoop, helpful because I rarely meet my protein goal otherwise.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SaraJC2016 wrote: »
    I just tried again to start losing weight and think that I may want to use protein powder but have no idea how to start. I have never used it before and know next to nothing about it. If anyone can explain to me effective ways to use it to help lose weight and recommend products to try that would be wonderful!

Protein powder is used to supplement your diet if you are unable to get enough protein via food. It is not at all used for weight loss.

The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

2- Most people trying to lose a lot of weight are newbies and there is a big difference between not much and absolutely cannot. Also, not everyone's body responds the same and not all caloric deficits are the same. To simply tell people that they cannot build muscle unless they are gaining weight is ignorant and does them a disservice.

no most people trying to lose are not newbies...
    unless you are one of the things I mentioned above you cannot build muscle in a deficit.
    a caloric deficit is a deficit regardless of it's size.

you are doing people a disservice.
  • Chadxx
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

no most people trying to lose are not newbies...
    unless you are one of the things I mentioned above you cannot build muscle in a deficit.
    a caloric deficit is a deficit regardless of it's size.

you are doing people a disservice.

Not, I am being honest. The earlier post said "you cannot build muscle in a deficit without the addition of drugs/hormones." I said that isn't true. Your post above admits that it isn't true. Also, I said people trying to lose a "lot of weight" and those people generally are newbies. Also, I never said everyone in a calorie deficit "will" build muscle. I said it can be done and it can. I said lots of people have done it. Lots have. If the muscle gets what it needs it can grow.

Is it easier to build muscle with a surplus of calories? Of course it is but saying it is an absolute requirement for muscle growth simply isn't true. We aren't talking about bodybuilding here. This is from my original post. "It also helps preserve or even build muscle while on a calorie deficit." I am not exactly endorsing calorie deficits as a way to build muscle.