Ate almost 3000 calories Friday - up 3 pounds?? Guess it's time to quit.

Options
wwkwag
wwkwag Posts: 60 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ummmm....NOT! :wink:

So often I see posts on here about people wanting to give up because they "blew it" by having a day that was a little too high. It's all part of your new way of eating! Sometimes our "pre-logging" doesn't turn out as planned because life happens! It doesn't mean you blew anything at all and should give up all the hard work you've been putting in. You just had a higher day than normal. I am just shy of 5' tall so 3000 calories is far from how much I'm able to eat.

I am just shy of 5' tall so 3000 calories is far from how much I'm able to eat. However, LIFE happened to me Friday night and I ended up eating almost 3000 calories. Unfortunately this also happened on a week I wasn't able to exercise much because of a pulled muscle from running too hard the previous week. Needless to say, I was up 3 pounds Saturday morning and am still up 3 pounds. I weigh myself daily only because it helps me to see the fluctuations. However, I know that one day will not make me gain 3 pounds and is more than likely sodium/water weight.

In all honesty, I can still make up for it the rest of the week and still end up in a healthy deficit, depending on my exercise. But I realize that it may take two weeks or so for me to even see the scale drop. That's just the way it goes. So, don't focus on that number on the scale and get discouraged when your plans get changed and you have a higher-than-normal day.

The bottom line is when you have those days where you eat more than normal, just accept it and move on. When you really look at the overall picture, sometimes when you think you "blew it", you really didn't at all if you look at it over a weekly or monthly thing.

I lost 93 pounds on Weight Watchers back in 2003 but gained it all back because I didn't "learn" about food and deficits and TDEE and all that. It wasn't until I started MFP and started reading all the great information on these boards.

I have learned soooooo much from reading all the informative posts from the regulars on here since I started my journey (and I thank each and every one of you - if you are one who posts on this board quite often, I'm talking to you). I have a whole different understanding of everything just from lurking on these boards (not to mention being down 37 pounds since June 6th) :smile:

Replies

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    wwkwag wrote: »
    I lost 93 pounds on Weight Watchers back in 2003 but gained it all back because I didn't "learn" about food and deficits and TDEE and all that. It wasn't until I started MFP and started reading all the great information on these boards.
    :smile:

^THIS
    Recently a doctor said they could recommend me to Weight Watchers. This was after I explained that I had already lost weight, and was losing weight by eating healthily and exercising. I looked confused at her, and said "I already know what I'm doing.. and I don't agree with their practises."
    Points doesn't tell you why a food item may be our of your 'point budget'. Points aren't going to help you when you're suddenly at a restaurant and you need to figure out for yourself which meal you can fit into your nutritional allowance. You need to learn about food. Start from scratch. What is fibre? What is sodium? How do all these things affect me? Points are just another person telling you what you can and can't eat. Whereas learning about food yourself means you're in charge. You're the one telling yourself what you can and can't have, and that gives you so much more control.
  • wwkwag
    wwkwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    wwkwag wrote: »
    :smile:

^THIS
    Recently a doctor said they could recommend me to Weight Watchers. This was after I explained that I had already lost weight, and was losing weight by eating healthily and exercising. I looked confused at her, and said "I already know what I'm doing.. and I don't agree with their practises."
    Points doesn't tell you why a food item may be our of your 'point budget'. Points aren't going to help you when you're suddenly at a restaurant and you need to figure out for yourself which meal you can fit into your nutritional allowance. You need to learn about food. Start from scratch. What is fibre? What is sodium? How do all these things affect me? Points are just another person telling you what you can and can't eat. Whereas learning about food yourself means you're in charge. You're the one telling yourself what you can and can't have, and that gives you so much more control.

Exactly!! I agree that it works but it just obviously wasn't for me. I also don't like how now all fruits and vegetables are "free foods". Okay, I get it that they want you to focus on more fruits and vegetables but consuming too many can still bring someone over deficit. I did start it when I first started in June but I was doing both WW and MFP and as soon as I realized that with WW I was lucky if I was getting 1000 calories a day, I quit and just went with MFP.