For those who already lost a ton -- a question about extra skin

Options
2»

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Down by almost 140 here. Quite a bit of loose skin on my abdomen, arms, butt, and thighs. Dunno if I'll do anything about it.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This probably does not apply to you...but I have scaring from being in a car crash as a child. I'm in my late 30s now, and the scars were not very noticeable anymore. Now that I've lost about 30 pounds (and another 20 to lose) they are extremely noticeable. I guess the fat tissue underneath kept them taut, and now they look awful. :( One goes across my face from my eye to my ear, and now it looks like I have a huge dent in my face. That's the one major downside to my weight loss...but I'm trying to focus on all the positives.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    When I lost 97 lbs, I certainly had some loose skin, particularly my chest and tummy. With clothes on I was fine, but without? Not great. Better than being fat, but not great. I have a skin type that is very prone to stretch marks and when I first gained weight (I was skin and bones my whole life until 2nd year of college) I gained the weight VERY fast. My propensity for stretch marks with rapid weight gain, followed by two pregnancies in two years and yeah, I am literally a walking stretch mark. My point is, my loose skin is worse where my stretch marks are more concentrated. Stretch marks are permanent skin damage. They will fade and get a little smaller, but they have lost all elasticity, so will never heal or tighten up past a certain point. It seems to me, the fewer stretch marks you have, the better your skin bounces back.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think not a one of us who have lost a lot of weight would trade our loose skin for being very heavy again.

Loose skin is a lot easier to live with than 100+ lbs of extra weight.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    This probably does not apply to you...but I have scaring from being in a car crash as a child. I'm in my late 30s now, and the scars were not very noticeable anymore. Now that I've lost about 30 pounds (and another 20 to lose) they are extremely noticeable. I guess the fat tissue underneath kept them taut, and now they look awful. :( One goes across my face from my eye to my ear, and now it looks like I have a huge dent in my face. That's the one major downside to my weight loss...but I'm trying to focus on all the positives.

I have to agree here I have more wrinkles in my face than I have ever had and more skin issues dry skin issues than ever before.