Career women in 30s who need to lose 20-50 lbs, what's your single biggest challenge on weight loss?

Options
Hello,

I'm writing an article for one of the major online publications on this topic, and I'd like to understand:
  1. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight?
  2. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight as a career woman?
  3. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy, losing weight and maintaining weight, as a career woman?
  4. What industry are you in?

I would love to hear all your stories / experience related to the questions above.

I myself have lost 50 pounds without dieting, intense workout or messing up my schedule. I have been maintaining my weight for years, and would love to add value to those of you who share your experience.

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    1. Myself--I am a very emotional eater, so if I'm stressed or upset by something, I don't want to go home and eat a salad. Also, I'm a very picky eater, so many healthy recipes just don't appeal.
    2. My spouse--we're both tired at the end of the day, so if he eats ice cream or has a beer, I want to as well. Eating healthy can put a damper on the time you get to spend together.
    3. Same? I lost 40 pounds and then let it inch back on by relaxing and letting myself not pay attention to my waistline.
    4. I'm an educational administrator.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    1. Fighting temptations at work
    2. Finding time to exercise on days I work
    3. Preparing as much food ahead of time for a very picky (mostly) vegan.
    4. Pastry chef
  • kerstenk141
    kerstenk141 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ***What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight?
    I never realized how much of a social eater and drinker I was until I decided to diet. Its difficult going out to eat with friends or family who are not dieting. I have struggled to find the balance of maintaining a diet while still being able to go out and eat and drink. Before I never hesitated to accept an invite for dinner and drinks. Now I either decline an invite all together or accept and am that person at the table drinking water and eating something small and light. My friends and family are fairly supportive, but I also know they would love for me to just sit back and not worry about how many calories I am consuming...which I could do if they didn't want to go out all the time, lol.
    ***What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight as a career woman?
    Traveling while eating healthy. My job has me on the road quite a bit - at workshops, conferences, etc. Its hard to eat healthy while on the road. Its easy to not eat all day then suddenly you find you are incredibly hungry and wanting to eat anything and everything. I've learned to pack granola bars, etc so I dont let this happen. But in the beginning there were a few mistakes.
    ***What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy, losing weight and maintaining weight, as a career woman?
    Part of my job is to connect with potential industry partners. This can often require joining them for dinner and drinks in an attempt to make the atmosphere a bit more casual versus meeting in a board room. Its considered impolite to turn down a meal/drink. Typically I will have a small breakfast, 100 calories or less and then save my calories for the dinner meeting so I do not have to worry as much about going over my calories allowance.
    ***What industry are you in?
    I work as a Communications and Marketing Consultant
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Your topic title suggest me so I will answer. :smile:

What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight?
    eating healthy is not a challenge but losing weight is due to lack of consistency.

What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight as a career woman?
    previous answer applies here too, in addition, stress from work does indeed affect what I eat & drink. When things are going badly at work, it's more difficult the care AT ALL about what's happening outside of work. I will eat crappier foods, drink more, and exercise less. I also sit all day long. ALL.DAY.LONG.
    I will tell you, walking around the building for a few minutes does not help.

What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy, losing weight and maintaining weight, as a career woman?
    previous answer PLUS: I have no gym at work. I work often time 10-12 hours a day. I also commute. For 5 years I worked in an office that had an onsite gym. I lost 40 lbs w/in the first year and maintained for the remainder. Moving to an office with no gym meant i had to drive to a gym on lunch or after work - that extra 30 + minutes of driving really influences whether you can go or not. It takes time. It's not as comfortable. I gained 10 lbs in a year, the next year 15.
    In addition to not losing or maintaining weight due to do easy access gym, my stress levels shot up.
    Being able to workout during the work day makes such a huge difference.

What industry are you in?
    I am a corporate accountant.
  • ricelean
    ricelean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is awesome! Let me PM you.
    Hi there. Your topic title suggest me so I will answer. :smile:

What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight?
    eating healthy is not a challenge but losing weight is due to lack of consistency.

What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight as a career woman?
    previous answer applies here too, in addition, stress from work does indeed affect what I eat & drink. When things are going badly at work, it's more difficult the care AT ALL about what's happening outside of work. I will eat crappier foods, drink more, and exercise less. I also sit all day long. ALL.DAY.LONG.
    I will tell you, walking around the building for a few minutes does not help.

What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy, losing weight and maintaining weight, as a career woman?
    previous answer PLUS: I have no gym at work. I work often time 10-12 hours a day. I also commute. For 5 years I worked in an office that had an onsite gym. I lost 40 lbs w/in the first year and maintained for the remainder. Moving to an office with no gym meant i had to drive to a gym on lunch or after work - that extra 30 + minutes of driving really influences whether you can go or not. It takes time. It's not as comfortable. I gained 10 lbs in a year, the next year 15.
    In addition to not losing or maintaining weight due to do easy access gym, my stress levels shot up.
    Being able to workout during the work day makes such a huge difference.

What industry are you in?
    I am a corporate accountant.

• Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight? The biggest challenge would be temptations from friends and family. It just takes dedication and will power. I bring a lot of my own food to BBQ's and gatherings and try to keep my splurging to one meal a week.
    2. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight as a career woman? As a career woman, the toughest part is all the free food at the office, but I meal prep so it's a little easier to fight the urge.
    3. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy, losing weight and maintaining weight, as a career woman? Again, as a career woman, is missing out on a lot of activities because I spend my lunch at the gym almost everyday; so I skip the team lunches, bbq's, etc.
    I am in IT Asset Mgmt. and Technical Support.
  • ricelean
    Options
    Kudos to you for all the efforts you make - meal planning, gym work etc., and bringing your own food to gatherings is a brilliant move!
    1. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight? The biggest challenge would be temptations from friends and family. It just takes dedication and will power. I bring a lot of my own food to BBQ's and gatherings and try to keep my splurging to one meal a week.
    2. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight as a career woman? As a career woman, the toughest part is all the free food at the office, but I meal prep so it's a little easier to fight the urge.
    3. What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy, losing weight and maintaining weight, as a career woman? Again, as a career woman, is missing out on a lot of activities because I spend my lunch at the gym almost everyday; so I skip the team lunches, bbq's, etc.
    I am in IT Asset Mgmt. and Technical Support.

• ricelean
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What I hear is unsatisfying food, temptation from partner, and probably some lack of discipline. It's a great step to recognize the obstacles then tackle them one by one :smile:
    1. Myself--I am a very emotional eater, so if I'm stressed or upset by something, I don't want to go home and eat a salad. Also, I'm a very picky eater, so many healthy recipes just don't appeal.
    2. My spouse--we're both tired at the end of the day, so if he eats ice cream or has a beer, I want to as well. Eating healthy can put a damper on the time you get to spend together.
    3. Same? I lost 40 pounds and then let it inch back on by relaxing and letting myself not pay attention to my waistline.
    4. I'm an educational administrator.

• ricelean
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Kudos to you for:
    1) Resisting temptations when going out with friends, I know sometimes it feels like a loner
    2) Maintaining the healthy eating awareness while travelling - as a management consultant who's a frequent flyer I know how difficult it is. Bringing granola bar is a smart strategy.
    3) Yup, fighting your way out during the client dinners - BIG thumb up!

How many pounds are you aiming at losing? By when?
    ***What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight?
    I never realized how much of a social eater and drinker I was until I decided to diet. Its difficult going out to eat with friends or family who are not dieting. I have struggled to find the balance of maintaining a diet while still being able to go out and eat and drink. Before I never hesitated to accept an invite for dinner and drinks. Now I either decline an invite all together or accept and am that person at the table drinking water and eating something small and light. My friends and family are fairly supportive, but I also know they would love for me to just sit back and not worry about how many calories I am consuming...which I could do if they didn't want to go out all the time, lol.
    ***What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy and losing weight as a career woman?
    Traveling while eating healthy. My job has me on the road quite a bit - at workshops, conferences, etc. Its hard to eat healthy while on the road. Its easy to not eat all day then suddenly you find you are incredibly hungry and wanting to eat anything and everything. I've learned to pack granola bars, etc so I dont let this happen. But in the beginning there were a few mistakes.
    ***What is your biggest challenge in eating healthy, losing weight and maintaining weight, as a career woman?
    Part of my job is to connect with potential industry partners. This can often require joining them for dinner and drinks in an attempt to make the atmosphere a bit more casual versus meeting in a board room. Its considered impolite to turn down a meal/drink. Typically I will have a small breakfast, 100 calories or less and then save my calories for the dinner meeting so I do not have to worry as much about going over my calories allowance.
    ***What industry are you in?
    I work as a Communications and Marketing Consultant