7pm cut off?

Options

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I eat between 12-8 only because it fits into my eating habits. It suits me.
    I honestly do not think the time you eat matters. You need to figure out what suits you and your lifestyle. I just happen not to be hungry for breakfast nor hungry late in the evening.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    D4nc3rEm wrote: »
    Hey all!

I've heard many a time that cutting off your eating day at 7 or 8pm really aids with weight loss. Was wondering if anyone does it or has done it in the past and if you found it to be helpful or too restrictive? Is it something I should try? X

(I'm new to this whole mfp thing, but feel free to add me! I'm looking to build up a little community of people to motivate and be motivated by!

@D4nc3rEm there is nothing magical about cutting off at 7 or 8 pm per se but there is some researchers that indicate one can get better sleep if one stops eating at least three hours before going to bed but that is common sense to most people.

Going 12-16 hours between the last meal of the day and the first one the next day is proven to help with weight loss and reduce the risks of Alzheimer's, cancer and type 2 diabetes.

Where you should try it or not can not be known until after you try it. :)

Best of success and welcome to MFP forums.

• Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    Hey all!

I've heard many a time that cutting off your eating day at 7 or 8pm really aids with weight loss. Was wondering if anyone does it or has done it in the past and if you found it to be helpful or too restrictive? Is it something I should try? X

(I'm new to this whole mfp thing, but feel free to add me! I'm looking to build up a little community of people to motivate and be motivated by!

@D4nc3rEm there is nothing magical about cutting off at 7 or 8 pm per se but there is some researchers that indicate one can get better sleep if one stops eating at least three hours before going to bed but that is common sense to most people.

Going 12-16 hours between the last meal of the day and the first one the next day is proven to help with weight loss and reduce the risks of Alzheimer's, cancer and type 2 diabetes.

I'd love to see some research on the bolded..

I'd like to see some peer-reviewed scientific research on it. Not somebody's blog or a newspaper article, or some alternative medicine/naturopath woo.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Agreed, I'd like to see the actual peer reviewed study that this stemmed from
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Some structure like that might be helpful to certain kinds of eaters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    I'm trying to have a cut off point in the evening but rather than a fixed time it is a simple 'no more food once I've washed the dishes and shut the kitchen' rule. This is simply to stop me snacking. I find one snack leads to another. I have poor control over snacking moderately, but I'm kinda good with being super strict with myself and not even starting to snack - if that makes sense.

This is how I am. I am fine with moderate consumption of the items I consume, but do best with a strict eating pattern (3 meals, maybe a planned afternoon snack if my workout schedule makes it helpful, maybe dessert immediately after dinner). Grazing or indiscriminate snacking just doesn't work for me and easily gets hard to control and, just as important, I don't really enjoy it -- I prefer larger meals and not snacks which tend to be mindless eating or foods I don't appreciate as much.
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I stop eating after I've had supper but I have a big breakfast lunch and supper and a snack at both breaks at work during the day....I've well hit my calorie intake by supper and can't fit anymore for evening snacking... I go to bed pretty early too so that helps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    7 PM and I'm currently eating dinner. Then later I'll have a mini-pumpkin roll for dessert.

It's good to have a cutoff time for some people, such as those who have issues sleeping on a full stomach. Otherwise, it's personal preference.
  • tlobatomfp
    tlobatomfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's an individual thing and depends on whether or not you are losing or gaining weight and what kind of snacks you are having. If I'm losing weight, there are times when I'm literally shrinking away. I have to eat. When I'm trending up, snacking at any time is probably not good for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I stopped eating by 7pm I would NEVER eat dinner. Timing doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is burning more calories than you consume, eating at a deficit.

Though if I stopped eating at 7pm I probably wouldn't wake up 2 times in the middle of the night to pee.... hmmmmm

I'm usually done eating by 6pm, and i still get up 1-2 times a night to pee, it's something that comes along with old age thing i reckon :tongue:

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You may have heard it lots but its not true. It doesn't even make sense.

As for me I eat about half my daily calories after 7pm

On a typical day between 7pm and bedtime I'm eating something like 1200 calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

That's not true at all. Unless you have some medical issue where food interferes with sleep, you can eat up until bedtime and you will lose weight as long as you consistently stay in a calorie deficit.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I can understand cutting yourself off after a certain time to prevent grazing... I used to be able to graze all night, but it boils down to CICO and not the actual timing of your meals.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    Hey all!

I'd love to see some research on the bolded..

This is what I was also going to ask for.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    tlobatomfp wrote: »
    It's an individual thing and depends on whether or not you are losing or gaining weight and what kind of snacks you are having. If I'm losing weight, there are times when I'm literally shrinking away. I have to eat. When I'm trending up, snacking at any time is probably not good for me.

Really, timing does not matter at all for weight loss.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    Meal timing does not matter. It is 8 pm and I just finished dinner. I often eat at this time. I never had any problem losing. I will more than likely have a snack within the next hour or so. If you have issues with mindless eating in the evening after dinner and you want to set a time for yourself to stop eating then that might help you stick to your deficit. But it is not necessary. If you go over your calorie goal it won't matter how early you top eating.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Um. No. I purposely try not to eat dinner until 7:30 and dessert at 9, to aid in weight loss or maintenance, because I look forward to eating at night.