Supplements useful or a waste of time?

Options
What do you guys think of sports supplements? Do you approve or disapprove? Why?

Replies

• aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Creatine and caffeine are the two supplements with the greatest scientific support for their effectiveness. Everyone should take creatine, ~5mg/day for the typical person.

If you consider protein power a supplement and not just food than it is very helpful in meeting one's macro-nutrient requirements easily and inexpensively.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Useful but it's there to supplement not substitute. If your basics aren't in check eg. Good nutrition, proper workouts and recovery forget about supplements. This is just advice tho. Do whatever the *kitten* you wanna do.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    aashwill wrote: »
    Creatine and caffeine are the two supplements with the greatest scientific support for their effectiveness. Everyone should take creatine, ~5mg/day for the typical person.

If you consider protein power a supplement and not just food than it is very helpful in meeting one's macro-nutrient requirements easily and inexpensively.

No one has to take creatine. That makes no sense at all. Why do you say that ? 7ggu8cabotoc.png
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

No one has to take creatine. That makes no sense at all. Why do you say that ? 7ggu8cabotoc.png

I didn't say that. I said everyone should.

There are limited downsides and large benefits. That is why I said they should. Creatine would be a "micronutrient" on your pyramid, so unless you are consuming massive (environmentally unsustainable) amounts of fish and red meat, you wouldn't be receiving the most effective dosage.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I find myself very skeptical. I will follow this thread because I'm interested in whether my skepticism is well placed.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

There are limited downsides and large benefits. That is why I said they should. Creatine would be a "micronutrient" on your pyramid, so unless you are consuming massive (environmentally unsustainable) amounts of fish and red meat, you wouldn't be receiving the most effective dosage.

Sorry no one "should".....there is no need.
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options

When I read the bold part my mind played out this scenario where one person did consume such a massive amount of fish and red meat that they became endangered and thought, "Thanks Becky!"...thanks for the chuckle ;)

But I did read up on creatine last night and decided it wasn't for me, at least the me I currently am (new to weight training & still in a ~500 deficit)
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It depends on what supplements and what your goals are.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thermogenics - yes. I can feel the increase in body temperature and SWEAT like crazy if I have taken
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Sorry no one "should".....there is no need.

There isnt a need, its not a must but if youre going to use a suppliment creatine is perfectly safe (as long as you stay hydrated) and actually works (if youre one of the 80% who respond to it and pair it with a progressive lifting program).

Op to answer your question i think most suppliments are a waste but i agree with aashwill, creatine is a really great suppliment for muscle building. Also its been shown to help brain function too but from my understanding thats less studied, and i dont have the articles i read that so i wont list that as a reason to take it.

A fantastic resource is examine.com it looks at suppliments and offers a lot of insight. I would check it out if you have any questions on any suppliments in particular.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

When I read the bold part my mind played out this scenario where one person did consume such a massive amount of fish and red meat that they became endangered and thought, "Thanks Becky!"...thanks for the chuckle ;)

But I did read up on creatine last night and decided it wasn't for me, at least the me I currently am (new to weight training & still in a ~500 deficit)

Not that im necessarily pushing that everyone should take creatine but, creatine does pair well with weight loss. When it initially takes effect you may see a stall on ther scale from the water rention but this water will be in your muscles not under your skin so it shouldnt show too much. It can help you retain muscle (again as i said in my post above assuming you are on a progressive lifting program) as you lose weight.

But youre right as a new lifter i wouldnt bother youre probably making good progress just because youre new to lifting. But as an fyi for later, creatine is good when in a deficit or surplus.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    All the supplementing I do is doctor prescribed.

- Magnesium for chronic muscle cramps and regular bowl movement
    - Vitamins B12 and D and iron. My body seems to just wash most of it through leaving me borderline depressive and out of energy just walking 2 meters on flat ground without the regular infusions.

They assist my weight-loss (more energy, digestion working as it should, pleasure in moving, etc.) but they don't drive my weight-loss.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    this water will be in your muscles not under your skin

this is the reason why it's my must-have supplement. idek if it has any performance effects in my case, but i feel so much more comfortable physically when my muscles are properly hydrated. it helps me maintain my mobility, if nothing else.

the difference is really noticeable, and it just doesn't happen when i'm not taking it no matter how much water i drink. i'm intermittent about bcaa's and a few other things, but creatine and whey are the two i 'must have'.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Probably not the best wording but if you mean that Creatine is cheap, effective, and has little to no negative effects that taking it, if you feel you need it, is a "no brainer" - I agree. +1 for caffeine also (in espresso form for me please).
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think of sports supplements? Do you approve or disapprove? Why?

Useful if you're taking specific supplements for specific reasons and have done the research to cut through the marketing hype and ensure they're legit.

Useless (and a complete waste of money) if you're taking about 99.9% of the crap marketed by the diet/fitness industry solely based upon the glowing promises and testimonials in their advertising.

A good place to start your research is http://www.examine.com
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For other supplements I use protein powder on a fairly regular basis. I also take a vitamin C tablet, a vitamin D tablet, and a double dose of fish oil per day.

I take glutamine pre-workout and, if that work out is fasted, I also take BCAA.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My view - there's no "should" about any sports supplement, personal choice and personal needs/wants.

For me.....
    Whey protein - approve, a useful and calorie efficient way to supplement to hit my protein goal (if needed/wanted that day).

Creatine - no opinion, never had any interest in trying it.

Caffeine - I'm pretty unresponsive to caffeine but carry some "emergency" tablets on very long cycle rides. Proved useful a couple of times (in five years).

Pre-workouts - I'm anti, seems pointless to me. But if others need chemical help that's their choice.

Beetroot juice - supposed to help sub-maximal endurance cardio. Used it a couple of times before big events, partly for desire to try and do everything (within reason) I could to do my best. Dreadful taste and pink pee are the downsides. Impossible to know if it really helped but couldn't hinder.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Nop. It's harmful to my wallet because I have no need for it so I would essentially be throwing my money away. I personally don't understand the desire to increase power output unless you are a competing power lifter other than for a personal ego boost or for someone who is stuck, neither of which applies in my case. I don't feel it's worth it for me. If you're progressing, you're progressing and getting stronger regardless of your numbers. I personally don't feel like sports supplementation is worth it for a non-athlete (unless it's something important to wellbeing like electrolytes on long runs in hot weather when water is not enough), but I can understand why people would want to maximize their output and feel like spending money on that less 5% or so improvement is worth it.

I do, however, use whey protein because most of my food preferences are poor in protein so I find myself needing to supplement often to bring my protein up to meet at least the minimum recommendations without a huge impact on calories.
  • Kathyseiberling
    Kathyseiberling Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What about B12 for people eating a vegan diet? I read that it is a must--any comments?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What about B12 for people eating a vegan diet? I read that it is a must--any comments?

That's not a sports supplement. Heath supplementation is different. Of course people with low B12 levels (some vegans often are) need to supplement because it's important for their health. When I had high triglycerides I used prescription fish oil because it served an important purpose for my health. I also supplement iron every few months because my levels tend to periodically dip too low for my doctor's liking.

If a supplement is not harmful and makes the person feel good about their choices I see no issue, I just don't think any kind of supplementation is particularly necessary outside of medical needs. It's mostly a personal choice driven by the desire to be proactive about health/performance but the benefits are modest at best in most cases.