Jillian's 30 day shred

Options
I'm only on my third day of this workout and my calves are killing me! The whole day they've been hurting..and my legs shake when I do the one workout where you knee and put one foot infront and kind of kneel while holding the weights and bending them up...lol idk if u guys know what im talking bout..but its very painful..hopefully ill get a flatter stomach in 30 days like ppl been tellin me they get?

Replies

• ryiko
    ryiko Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm only on my third day of this workout and my calves are killing me! The whole day they've been hurting..and my legs shake when I do the one workout where you knee and put one foot infront and kind of kneel while holding the weights and bending them up...lol idk if u guys know what im talking bout..but its very painful..hopefully ill get a flatter stomach in 30 days like ppl been tellin me they get?
  • cbrooks66
    cbrooks66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I supplement my workouts with Jillian's 30-day shred. Because I've been working out steadily no real issues. I like this DVD because its good old fashion work out moves. Nothing fancy, but it gets you in shape quickly...Hang in there.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    painful as in real pain? Or painful as in sore? Sore is no fun, but it's safe and proof that you had a workout! :laugh: :laugh: Now pain on the other hand is not something we should be experiencing with our workouts.:noway:

I need to get my Shred out again since I'm hearing so much about it ...I'm missin it:sad: Good for you for kickin butt and keeping it up!! Persistance pays off BIG TIME!!:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of that work-out series but I do have to chyme in here (as a trainer). Because you do resistance training and not just cardio it is important to give your body some time to recover. Even if you do some kind of weight training most days of the week, you shouldn't do the same exercises on back-to-back days. Not only do you risk over-training injuries but you also deny your body the time to actually develop! We strengthen muscles at rest, not in the gym or during a work-out. And make sure you stretch well after - the stretch isn't that comprehensive, demonstrated by the fact that your calves shouldn't really hurt. Feeling a tightness in a muscle group after a good work-out is good. Soreness (not to mention actual pain!) is a sign of injury.
    But keep up with it giving yourself a day off in between and doing some cardio and it will certainly help you with your goals!! :flowerforyou:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    feel free to try the other two workouts.....I switched it up between all three, because I was getting tiered of the first one.

Good luck!:drinker:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of that work-out series but I do have to chyme in here (as a trainer). Because you do resistance training and not just cardio it is important to give your body some time to recover. Even if you do some kind of weight training most days of the week, you shouldn't do the same exercises on back-to-back days. Not only do you risk over-training injuries but you also deny your body the time to actually develop! We strengthen muscles at rest, not in the gym or during a work-out. And make sure you stretch well after - the stretch isn't that comprehensive, demonstrated by the fact that your calves shouldn't really hurt. Feeling a tightness in a muscle group after a good work-out is good. Soreness (not to mention actual pain!) is a sign of injury.
    But keep up with it giving yourself a day off in between and doing some cardio and it will certainly help you with your goals!! :flowerforyou:

Ooo, interesting... Hrm. So doing it everyday = bad? What if you feel fine - as in not even sore? Still bad?

Please educate me. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Well, if you feel fine that's a good thing (since soreness isn't automatically a sign that you've done your muscles good). The key would be to figure out whether you feel like doing it every day because you're not pushing yourself during the work-out. Do you need to increase your weight? Because regardless of your level of fitness you should be working hard enough to feel not SORE the next day (assuming you have stretched adequately) but to be able to feel that those muscles needed a rest. Personally, I work out 6 days a week as a routine (with a full week off every 7 weeks) but I mix up the days between weights and cardio and never work muscles back to back days because it's counter-productive. In fact, if I take a class at the gym and they do 5 minutes of strength at the end and target muscles I worked the day before, I do something else or stretch and leave because the rest time really does make an important difference! If I didn't answer your question fully feel free to ask more and I'll do my best!! :happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Well, if you feel fine that's a good thing (since soreness isn't automatically a sign that you've done your muscles good).
    uh oh:noway: Really? When I do an intense workout I often feel it later that evening and the next day. I've never worried about it before, perhaps I"m misusing the term 'sore'?:drinker:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Well, if you feel fine that's a good thing (since soreness isn't automatically a sign that you've done your muscles good). The key would be to figure out whether you feel like doing it every day because you're not pushing yourself during the work-out. Do you need to increase your weight? Because regardless of your level of fitness you should be working hard enough to feel not SORE the next day (assuming you have stretched adequately) but to be able to feel that those muscles needed a rest. Personally, I work out 6 days a week as a routine (with a full week off every 7 weeks) but I mix up the days between weights and cardio and never work muscles back to back days because it's counter-productive. In fact, if I take a class at the gym and they do 5 minutes of strength at the end and target muscles I worked the day before, I do something else or stretch and leave because the rest time really does make an important difference! If I didn't answer your question fully feel free to ask more and I'll do my best!! :happy:

Hehe, I think I have a rather strict definition of sore. I did the shred the first time and couldn't move the next two days. :sick: That was sore for me. So I gave myself a three day break and started again. I worked just as hard but the next day I could 'feel' my muscles (as in, when I lifted my arm, they reminded me they were there) but it wasn't the 'oh my god I don't think I can stand' kind of feeling.

However, I do not wish to be counter productive! I may then do the shred every other day and do cardio on the inbetween days. 30 day shred works your abs too, but not a grueling amount. Would it be okay to keep up with my pilates during my cardio days?

Thank you PedalHound! :flowerforyou:
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Well, if you feel fine that's a good thing (since soreness isn't automatically a sign that you've done your muscles good).
    uh oh:noway: Really? When I do an intense workout I often feel it later that evening and the next day. I've never worried about it before, perhaps I"m misusing the term 'sore'?:drinker:

If you're really really pushed yourself and take your work-out to a safe but hard-working level that you don't usually do, you will feel it. And to be honest, most people don't stretch properly after working out with weights which is SO important (have I mentioned stretching is important?!) because the tightness associated with slight discomfort is usually a result of lack of stretching. But it's also possible that in increasing the intensity you've done too much too quickly (and lots of people get that gung-ho feeling and add in more weight AND more reps when ideally you should build one at a time).
    The word "sore" can be entirely subjective. I guess what you want to make sure of is that you're following these basic principles and in theory you should assure that you're okay:
    - in the set, the last few reps (usually 12-15 per set) should be very very difficult to complete. You should feel that you're not entirely sure you can complete the last rep but still do it.
    - the next day your muscles should feel tired but not painful
    - you do not work the same muscle group on consecutive days

Hope this helps a little??
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Yes, I would still do Pilates if you feel like it although I wouldn't do it every day in between. Maybe just 1 or possibly two?

No problem! :bigsmile:
  • lauren85
    Options
    i was thinking about getting jillians workout but decided to get the biggest loser cardio and body scuplter instead cause to tell you the truth i think Bob is hot. lol anyways i know how you feel cause im on the second level of the cardio and my arms and abs are killing me.
  • abillings9
    Options
    I was pretty sore after the first day or two of it. I took a break after the first day and then did it again the next. After that I've had no soreness (just the burn while working out). I do Shred 3 days a week and wii my fitness coach 3 days a week opposite. It's working really well for me, and I'm moving on to level two of shred tomorrow (after 8 days of level one).
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

If you're really really pushed yourself and take your work-out to a safe but hard-working level that you don't usually do, you will feel it. And to be honest, most people don't stretch properly after working out with weights which is SO important (have I mentioned stretching is important?!) because the tightness associated with slight discomfort is usually a result of lack of stretching. But it's also possible that in increasing the intensity you've done too much too quickly (and lots of people get that gung-ho feeling and add in more weight AND more reps when ideally you should build one at a time).
    The word "sore" can be entirely subjective. I guess what you want to make sure of is that you're following these basic principles and in theory you should assure that you're okay:
    - in the set, the last few reps (usually 12-15 per set) should be very very difficult to complete. You should feel that you're not entirely sure you can complete the last rep but still do it.
    - the next day your muscles should feel tired but not painful
    - you do not work the same muscle group on consecutive days

Hope this helps a little??
    Ok perfect! That fits me to a T then...the good stuff you shared. I think I'm doing it in a healthy way and am simply feeling like my body has been working out.:flowerforyou: I agree I am so amazed how many folks just walk out the door when done with cardio/weights etc. OUCH, I do stretch after my workouts but I may take more time on that as I don't there is such thing as to much after workout stretching.:drinker:

Thanks Pedal Hound for the sound advice for us all!!! Much appreciated:flowerforyou: :heart:

FC:heart:
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    how often should this workout be done every day or every other day I know that in jillians making the cut you workout on day 1 and 2 rest on 3 work 4 and 5 rest 5 and 6. Would love to get a good answer of someone who knows going to start this on mon.
  • PedalHound
    Options
    how often should this workout be done every day or every other day I know that in jillians making the cut you workout on day 1 and 2 rest on 3 work 4 and 5 rest 5 and 6. Would love to get a good answer of someone who knows going to start this on mon.

check out my posts in this thread - I think you'll get a good answer! :bigsmile:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have been doing the Shred for about a 12 days. I love it because I can do it. So many tapes are beyond my physical ability. I can't believe how much stronger my back is already and my legs. My son couldn't believe how good I looked. i don't jump off floor but do what i feel my body is ready for and still I feel very worked out. I get rid of the ache by swimming every couple of days. Be blessed, kc
  • ryiko
    Options
    OK everyone! How about this, so I'll do Jillians workout everyother day...the days I'm not doing it I'll do pilates..does this sound better/effective?
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Still shake up the Pilates a little because it's still using a major muscle group (your abdominals) without giving them any rest. I'd say do Pilates 1 or maybe 2 of your off days but honestly doing it only one of the non-Shred days would be best. Just my opinion :wink:
  • ryiko
    Options
    Ok how bout this I'll do this in a pattern: One day pilates, next day cardio, next day Jillians, and it just keeps repeating..is this better so I don't strain myself?