Top 5 Weight Exercises

Options
Hello! I've been running and swimming for months on end. I've lost about 18lbs just doing cardio and MFP. However, I have give or take 5 more lbs to go and the weight is sticking to me. I think I want to switch up my routine. So all of you weight training addicts, what would be your top exercises? How long do you do them for and how many reps? I am going to start adding weights into my regular routine and cut back on the running majorly!

Thanks for all your help!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Have a read through this thread. Choose a beginner programme that fits your needs.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and rows. Which happens to exactly make up the exercises in Stronglifts 5X5. Check out the program at stronglifts.com. That should answer all your other questions.

Have fun!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and rows. Which happens to exactly make up the exercises in Stronglifts 5X5. Check out the program at stronglifts.com. That should answer all your other questions.

Have fun!

I second Stronglifts 5x5 but as posted above by @middlehaitch, there are plenty of other programs to go with!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    1/2 Deadlift, Squat
    3 OHP
    4 Bench
    5 Row
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your rep scheme is going to be dictated by your goals...different rep schemes will optimize different things.

As movements go, compound lifts should be at the foundation of your programming. Cleans, snatches, squat variations, Bench variations, dead-lift variations, and OHP variations are the foundation of my programming...the variations would depend on what rep range I'm working with.

In that regard, as a matter of general fitness I don't really like living in any one rep range or "specializing" unless it's necessary...aka you're going to be a power lifter, body builder, etc. Individuals who overly specialize in strength tend to lack muscular endurance...people who specialize in muscular endurance tend to lack raw strength/power...IMO, as a matter of general fitness it's good to basically get a good mix of everything.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    runswimgo wrote: »
    So all of you weight training addicts, what would be your top exercises? How long do you do them for and how many reps? I am going to start adding weights into my regular routine and cut back on the running majorly!

Don't follow a list of exercises - follow a complete program intended for beginners. It answers all the little questions which you didn't ask (warm-up sets, proper form, weight progression, deloading, etc). NROL4W is a popular program to try. :+1:
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree on those top exercises, but I wouldn't just recommend a newbie jump into that program. You are better off learning form so that may mean kettlebell deadlifts or goblet squats. I wouldn't recommend jumping under a bar to try to bench for the first time either. So while I agree that my top 5 are similar to what is stated above, my top 5 for a newbie:

Squats (start at body weight learning form then maybe use a dumbell or kettlebell until you graduate to an olympic bar)
    Dead lifts - start with kettlebells or dumbells
    Lunges - variation of walking, forward and backward lunges. Lunges are great for balance, strengethning your VMO which will assist your other lifts
    Shoulder press dumbells - start with dumbells. Learn how to do the exercise and what muscles to isolate then graduate to OHP
    Incline bench w dumbells. Then graduate to flat bench
  • runswimgo
    runswimgo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! Makes me realize I know very little about weight lifting, and I probably should research a bit. The info helps though :)
  • jolive7
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! Makes me realize I know very little about weight lifting, and I probably should research a bit. The info helps though :)

Do you have any friends who are experienced? See if you can get someone to show you the basics!!
  • runswimgo
    runswimgo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »

Do you have any friends who are experienced? See if you can get someone to show you the basics!!

No not really. My friends mainly are into cardio. They have the same problem I do, with not much results when it comes to cardio. I think I will take some classes to start and go from there. I just don't want to end up with injuries or anything, so I think I've shied away. But now it's time to start!
  • jolive7
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »

No not really. My friends mainly are into cardio. They have the same problem I do, with not much results when it comes to cardio. I think I will take some classes to start and go from there. I just don't want to end up with injuries or anything, so I think I've shied away. But now it's time to start!

Yes go for a class! See what you like and what you would be interested in learning more.. and if you decide that you want to start lifting heavy then you could look at getting a PT for a few sessions