Using Tracker - should I enable negative calories?

Options
LAC73167
LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 189 lbs, 5,3", set at not very active - up to about 6000 steps a day (desk job, most steps are done on a treadmill in the morning, I'd say half of them) after a 30 minute walk this morning approximately 3500 steps I turned my negative calories on and he gave me 270 extra calories for the day. That doesn't seem right.

What should I do? Enable or disable negative calorie adjustment? I'm set at 1325 cal per day. That's before any adjustments

*edited to add but I just looked at my diary and now my exercise calories added are 32 (!?) confused.

Replies

• eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    From my experience, if you are active early, then the tracker thinks you will be active all day, giving you extra calories. Later, if it finds you are not, it will take those calories away. Very confusing. I haven't quite figured it all out, but I would say no to that.
  • LAC73167
    Options
    I thought about just turning it off but I don't want to eat less than I'm supposed to---not that I think I'm exercising so much that I might need those extra calories!!) -- i've read both theories on these boards that you should and you should NOT eat back your exercise calories. I just want to do this right.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It is giving you more calories because compared to what it expects you to have burned by this hour, you did a lot more, but having negative adjustments enabled means it will also take those extra calories away when you are more sedentary later in the day. You you might lose some of those "extra" calories and that is okay because what you really want is accuracy at the end of the day. Just think of these extra activity calories as helping you even out later in the day.

I do prefer having the negative adjustments because it really prevents me from having super sedentary days. I really don't like having my calories taken away!

I think the only caution against having them enabled is if you are not able to sync throughout the day.
  • grammyvjc
    grammyvjc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    About this comment, "that you should and you should NOT eat back your exercise calories". I don't use fitbit, just fitness pal. I have found that if I exercise and do NOT eat back the exercise calories, my weight loss is probably better. However, I don't want to starve or feel deprived. I prefer to use the exercise calories as a "reward" allowing me to be a little less strict with what I eat some days. It keeps me motivated to WANT to exercise or to do a bit more of it. This site suggests eating back no more than half your exercise calories, I would probably agree with that.
  • LAC73167
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    It is giving you more calories because compared to what it expects you to have burned by this hour, you did a lot more, but having negative adjustments enabled means it will also take those extra calories away when you are more sedentary later in the day. You you might lose some of those "extra" calories and that is okay because what you really want is accuracy at the end of the day. Just think of these extra activity calories as helping you even out later in the day.

I do prefer having the negative adjustments because it really prevents me from having super sedentary days. I really don't like having my calories taken away!

I think the only caution against having them enabled is if you are not able to sync throughout the day.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clear explanation. I sync throughout the day so I guess I will leave them on and see what happens.
  • LAC73167
    Options
    grammyvjc wrote: »
    About this comment, "that you should and you should NOT eat back your exercise calories". I don't use fitbit, just fitness pal. I have found that if I exercise and do NOT eat back the exercise calories, my weight loss is probably better. However, I don't want to starve or feel deprived. I prefer to use the exercise calories as a "reward" allowing me to be a little less strict with what I eat some days. It keeps me motivated to WANT to exercise or to do a bit more of it. This site suggests eating back no more than half your exercise calories, I would probably agree with that.

That sounds like it makes sense and I do like a reward! Lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    simple answer yes.

But ensure you have your activity level set to sedentary as it will calculate total calorie burn for all movements etc...not just active.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eIIekay wrote: »
    From my experience, if you are active early, then the tracker thinks you will be active all day, giving you extra calories. Later, if it finds you are not, it will take those calories away. Very confusing. I haven't quite figured it all out, but I would say no to that.

this only happens if you aren't syncing on a regular basis.