Hi! My name is Victoria & I am an emotional eater.

Options
ninaisaac
ninaisaac Posts: 11 Member
Needed to get that off my chest..whew! Looking for some advice on how to break a lifetime of bad habits. I grew up in a family of emotional eaters & need to reverse 30 years of bad eating habits. Any advice?

Replies

• joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hello Victoria! I'm Joy, and I, too am an emotional eater! No advice for you, just know the feeling!
  • halfplum
    halfplum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria,

I am and emotional eater too. I really try to just go for a walk or find something to do. I even have a piece of paper on my fridge that says " are you really hungry or just eating your feelings" it makes me think and most times i walk away and go for a walk or call a friend to go do something.
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    I am that way too - you can search the message boards too there are groups out that chat regularly about their EED. Be patient - it takes time.
  • Effervescent17
    Effervescent17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am a huge emotional eater...well I was, not so much anymore. Its still tempting, it's kind of like I guess I will always be an emotional eater, but I've just trained myself not to eat when I am sad. Like instead if I am in a really crappy mood and I feel like eating I just try to do something that makes me happy instead. Like sometimes I just dance around, working out helps out alot, getting out of the house and doing a little shopping because I love shopping. The main thing to do is keep your mind busy and if you do eat something make sure it's something healthy. Like sometimes I will just get strawberries, grapes, applejuice and put it in the blender if I want something sweet. If I want something salty sometimes I will just make myself a bake potato or some brown rice. I really hope you are able to over come it because you will feel soo much better when you do.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You're not alone Victoria. I'm the exact same way. But I did have a break through moment a month or so back. After getting some particularly disappointing and stressful news, my first thought was "I need to take a walk". That was a huge moment for me because in the past, I'd always just run for a bag Doritos. It'll take some work, but you'll get there, too.
  • ninaisaac
    Options
    Good for you! That will be me one day! :smile:
  • ninaisaac
    Options
    LOVE that idea. I am going to try that.
  • Libby9
    Libby9 Posts: 45
    Options
    HI, Im an emotional eater too!!!!! First sign of bad news - I run to a chocolate bar!! Any good news - I have a celebratory chocolate bar!!!
    It's not good!!
  • ZenMomentum
    ZenMomentum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria,

I can tell you that most of my negative emotional responses begin with my thinking. And most of my negative thoughts are self-centric. In other words, when my thinking is all about me I tend to have thoughts that trigger negative emotions. Then they snowball and lead to inappropriate actions.

For example, I find myself spending time thinking about how _my_ needs are not being met, how other people are not meeting _my_ expectations, how the actions of others are hurting _me_ or _my_ judgments of others. All of this leads to negative emotions then ultimately I act out.

There's nothing wrong with thinking about ourselves, it's only natural. When our thinking becomes overwhelmingly about ourselves problems can occur. Although, it is a problem with an over active ego, it is not necessarily a prideful or boastful thing. Most of the time when I am self-centered, I am doing so in a negative way. A breakthrough occurred for me when I realized that my low self-esteem was egotistical.

One tool I have used when negative thinking creeps in, I take a moment to think about something I am grateful for. With a little practice the list becomes infinite.

Also, I fill my thoughts with loved ones. Another thing that helps me is doing something nice for someone else anonymously, accepting and expecting nothing in return. Anything I can do to get out of myself helps immensely.

The key I need to remember, is that when the negative thinking happens, I need to counter act it with positive action.

There's a good discussion group about emotions here:

http://www.emotionsanonymous.org/

--Dave
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I tend to emotionally eat a lot too.. Feel free to add me! I'd love to work together :)
  • debleecatello
    debleecatello Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello Victoria, I know just how you are feeling.....This site is a good thing! I tried keeping a gallon of water in the frig. with fresh lemons cut up in it. When I am getting that ( I wanna stuff my face feeling) and believe me, it doesn't take much, I pour a tall cool glass of my lemon water and sit back. It takes a while to drink ice cold water and by the time I'm finished, I usually feel better and find that I know longer need that bad choice that I was craving. Here's wishing you luck! Deb
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    This is my first day. I'm an emotional eater too- food comforts me - especially pastry. During my (bad) marriage I bonded with my obese husband over food I KNEW I shouldn't eat. When I left, I got a 3rd floor walk up apt in a complex with a swimming pool & a gym - I planned to slim down immediately. It hasn't worked out like that.
    I lost about 15 lbs but have since gained that back. Now I want to get serious. I think I'm really going to like it here - the calorie tracker is GREAT help.
    I will need a lot of support- I have struggled with my weight all my life. I was a size 12 when I married & am pretty comfortable with that - I'd be happy to get there, even better if I can reach my 'standard' weight.
    Here's my problem- I CAN exercise - I don't even really mind it for a half hour or so ... I just can't seem to actually DO it. I WANT to, I just never get around to it- any suggestions? sell my couch?
    cricket
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    hi victoria been there too many times before slow down think postive
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    Victoria, I'm Kayla. I am also an emotional eater. I have found, though, that if I keep healthy things in my house, and at work, if I get emotional, it's okay if I decide to eat something.. because it's healthy. I keep almonds and string cheese at work, and suprisingly, it helps!
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    plus when it happens again victoria i will grab something healthy or slow carolie to eat
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's always a challenge to get to the gym, but I've found a few tips and tricks to motivate me.

1. Find a buddy! If you have a friend to work out with, it holds you accountable and makes it much more fun :)

2. Find a gym that you feel comfortable in. That was a big one for me - I personally like going on the elliptical with my TV and having access to a lot of weight machines. Other people like classes or free weights - once you enjoy going to the gym, it won't seem like such a 'chore' to go.

3. Turn off the TV! Just by turning it off, you're making a statement that you're ready to change your activity. If that doesn't work, I will sometimes get into my workout clothes - that is also a good motivation for me.

4. Go in the morning - for me, that is the best time to go, before I get tired or lose my motivation. Then, you feel better about yourself and get it over with early!

Okay, hope this helps!
  • I too am an emotional eater. All of my friends at work know when I am having a bad day, or if I am stressed over my children because I am putting things in my mouth that I would not normally eat. If I get to that point that I feel like I am starving to death because of the stress.....if I fix myself a healthy sandwich or something that will really stick to my guts and fill me up...and then maybe have an apple to finish it off, then I usually feel better. Then I take time to pray and ask God to take care of my problems for me because I am unable to do it on my own. I know all of this works because I had a day like this just today and I ended up UNDER my calorie goal. And....God is so good.
  • Janlyn51
    Options
    That's my sister and she has GREAT ideas on how to fix her cravings!!!!
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria, I'm glad you are here. I am an emotional eater too. Emotions are normal, it's our reactions to them that are the problem. I find that I need a lot of support and love to overcome the need to soothe my negative emotions with food. This place has been so supportive it's beyond words. And it gives me the opportunity to be supportive to others which also is very helpful. I hope you find the same support and movitvation here that I did, feel free to add me as a friend if you wish. Have a great day!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Hi, Victoria, I'm a prevention of violence and prevention-of-drama-in-general eater, myself. I do the world an amazing public service by going for the chocolate rather than the choke hold.

It's a real sacrifice due to the huge number of annoying and stupid people I encounter every day. And a sadly under appreciated lifetime commitment to non-violence and not having a nervous breakdown in public, combined with no exercise has definitely taken its toll on me. However, I'm working on the exercise part.

(To all those lacking a proper sense of humor who are wondering, yes, I'm joking!)