Ketogenic In SE Michigan

Options
I want to share my experience, strength and hope because I hope to help others as well as myself. This year, my mom died horribly in front of me, I found out my son has special needs, I have serious marriage trouble, and I had 2 level spinal fusion surgery. I've lived through 5 lifetimes of tragedy and trauma that makes this year look normal. I have had insomnia, inflammation, thyroid disease, anxiety, depression, and I am overweight with high bad cholesterol hitting my upper 30s. I can see people write me off as beyond hope.

Then, this amazing human being, my family doctor Eric Crall, told me about the highly controversial ketogenic diet. He is my utmost respected health advocate and researcher, and he practices the diet himself and coaches people nation-wide on MFP. Ketogenic is similar to Atkins low carb diet with more careful regulation of protein and ketones in urine and blood to be sure you are doing it correctly. I have found it very possible to do this diet with planning, even with me being vegetarian much of the time. I was eating to soothe my anxiety, and this diet does not really have room for that BS. But I'm not hungry at all. I have to surrender to the idea that I live in the Now. That is called a coping skill, and we are not alone in our pain. Please write to me and share your own experience with whatever you are doing; I really need encouragement too.

Replies

• courtnicole90
    courtnicole90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been doing ketogenic too! I love it, but it is challenging at times!
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Never let anyone write you off! Good for you, and for your doctor for going "against the grain" so to speak to try Keto. I am doing it as well, very early in, to fix my PCOS and insulin resistance in the hope that I can have a baby. Good luck!
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I have to say I am pretty excited for all of us:-)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Love your living in the NOW... because now is all we truly have and can do anything about. I'm listening to a book on that subject now.
    Not Keto here, but if its working for you, then great!
    I started due to cholesterol
    NOBODY is to write off such a young lady!
    sorry for the struggles
    Live for today
  • KourageousKarina
    KourageousKarina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm in Michigan as well and on low carb! ;)
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks allayous. I am so hungry today!!!!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have been doing keto since May and absolutely love it.

For me, YMMV, if I get really hungry it means that I have not eaten enough fat with the previous meal. You might try adding some nuts or avocados to your meals and see if that helps you control the hunger pangs.

You should also checkout the low-carb group - lots of information, experience and helpful folks to help you on the journey.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

edited to add the link