Military diet

Options
I've seen this a lot on Pinterest. I'm not considering doing it, but several people I know are. This doesn't seem healthy to me. Has anyone tried it?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep, dumb
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    all fad diets are usually dumb and unhealthy
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    trust your gut on this one. It isn't healthy!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    You're right - it's not healthy. It's downright f'ing stupid, in fact.

This. It IS f'ing stupid.
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought! Thank you all!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Not only isn't it healthy...but the name is ridiculous...there's nothing "military" about it...I've never figured out why they call it that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    all fad diets are usually dumb and unhealthy

Yep. it's been around for decades with lots of name changes. If this worked (because of the unique food combinations :s )....we would all be thin already.

This "works" because it's very low calorie. You could starve yourself with foods you actually enjoy. But that's still a dumb idea. Just eat foods you like at a moderate deficit. Give yourself good nutrition AND a chance at maintenance.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you have looked at it, do you think that wonderful menu they have is something you could sustain over the long term? If not, there is absolutely no point. The trick to this diet is that they know everyone only loses weight by eating less than you burn, they have just made a diet with such low calories that if you follow it, you are gauranteed to lose weight, but pretty much gauranteed to not be able to keep it off.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I've seen this a lot on Pinterest. I'm not considering doing it, but several people I know are. This doesn't seem healthy to me. Has anyone tried it?

It's not, and it has nothing to do with any military I know of.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Maybe military from a POW viewpoint. This is one of the stupidest diets I've seen.
  • nchase3
    nchase3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just had a look and what I've found says 3 or 4 days at 1400 down to 1100 calories per day. I'm allowed 1200 according to mfp but always have 1100. How is it any different
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    nchase3 wrote: »
    Just had a look and what I've found says 3 or 4 days at 1400 down to 1100 calories per day. I'm allowed 1200 according to mfp but always have 1100. How is it any different

It's unsustainable and doesn't teach the person following it about proper portion size/nutrition. The weight you lose in that time is almost entirely water weight, and it will come back when you return to your old WOE.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    nchase3 wrote: »

It's unsustainable and doesn't teach the person following it about proper portion size/nutrition. The weight you lose in that time is almost entirely water weight, and it will come back when you return to your old WOE.

Exactly, and are you 5' or shorter, @nchase3? No one taller should eat that low.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a very dumb version of IF with pointlessly restricted and (to me) repulsive-sounding food choices (with exceptions, of course -- I like ice cream and all). The claims that eating those specific foods lead to special benefits is complete bunk. If the attraction -- not speaking to OP, who isn't attracted, but to whoever might be interested -- is to the off and on nature of the diet rather than the (non credible) claims about amazing fat loss beyond what a calorie deficit does, then I'd recommend checking out things like 5:2 and the alternate day diet, both of which are among the many versions of intermittent fasting (IF).