No workouts?

Options
I work full time and am taking classes so I don't have much time to work out. When I can, I'll ride my bike when I have to go places, but I don't work out every day.
Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight just by watching what they eat and not going over their calorie intake for the day?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will work. You should try to do squats and lunges, running on the spot when you have a few extra minutes. My workouts are only 20 minutes long, i am sure you could fit in 20 minutes. It is good to work your heart and lungs out a bit. plus your body will look nicer if you are toning it up with exercise as you diet. if you dont incorporate exercise and just go off your diet you will gain weight again. YOu should try to think of this as a life style change not a diet.
  • HeidiSBond
    HeidiSBond Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes! I dropped around 40lbs. fast just watching what I ate, staying under and doing what I could, when I could, eliminating all soda and alcohol only occasionally. I had to wait until my life calmed down in order to have the time to devote to working out. The last couple months, I've been able to work out more and I'm down 65lbs and still losing. You'll get ot a point where you'll slow down just watching what you eat.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Walking for a little bit during your break a few times a week will help but yes I lost 25lbs in 6months when I started that was just tracking my food and not exercising.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have. Almost 30 lb since mid-March. And I rarely if ever get any significant exercise. But I am under a doctor's care for hyperinsulinemia, and it's that diet that has helped me lose the weight. I can go over my calories for the day, and I often do; for me, it's not about calories, it's about carbs. As long as I eat fewer than 30 carbs a day and eat at least 40g protein every three hours while I'm awake, I am guaranteed to lose 1 - 1.5 lbs a week. I have cut out sugar and grains completely, and only eat vegetables and protein sources (meat, seafood, eggs, dairy). Before I get nasty comments from people, please let me emphasize that this isn't a fad, these are my doctor's orders, based on a series of metabolic tests.

So it is possible. But it depends on your own particular metabolism and how well it processes certain types of foods. It's unfair but true that some people just have an easier time losing weight than others. Listen to your body, pay attention to what happens after you eat certain types of foods. Do you experience spikes or extreme swings in your mood & energy level? Then cut back on the carbs & sugar, and increase your protein. Do you suddenly get lethargic or really hungry when you're out running errands or housecleaning? Maybe you should eat more carbs right before the activity. There's no one-size-fits-all answer, you just have to try different things & figure out what's do-able for you.
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I could lose weight just with diet,
    Lose my first 25 lbs that way
    But it got very difficult to maintain the diet without exercise, as my total calorie count got lower

Just remember there are ALL kinds of ways to exercise
    I work at a desk 5 days a week, but my lifestyle is VERY active on the weekends
    So I was able to build a huge calorie deficit by just doing yard work and other household activities
  • KA29
    KA29 Posts: 54
    Options
    If your schedule doesn't really allow time for workouts, try to at least take a 15 min break or 2 at work and walk around your building. Try to find little ways to get more activities in each day. For example, if you are doing several loads of laundry bring each one up to put away as they are finished instead of saving it all for 1 trip. Try also some squats and calf / leg raises when in the shower or getting ready.
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    I work full time and am taking classes so I don't have much time to work out. When I can, I'll ride my bike when I have to go places, but I don't work out every day.
    Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight just by watching what they eat and not going over their calorie intake for the day?

I'm down about 30 pounds currently (in only 2 months), havent worked out at all. You can tell MFP that you are not going to workout and you live a sedentary lifestyle and it will give you a calorie recommendation.