Really, REALLY tired - Getting into Lifting Heavy

Options
Happy lovely Sunday evening all!

Anyone else finding themselves (or who have found themselves way back when they first started) really, really tired?

I've just started getting into lifting heavy weights for the first time in my life (Total Cardio Bunny/Yoga lover here), and I find that a 30-minute session of weight lifting tuckers me out way more than a 30 minute run would. Not so much immediately after, but down the line.

I also find I'm tired all day long now. Like - full body, "I need a hot bath with Epsom salts" tired, not so much "sleepy" tired. It's very different from soreness.

Is that normal when you're first starting? I'm about a month in (this is essentially what I'm doing), and I'm exhausted just sitting here typing.

I'm by no means going to give up, but it's bumming me out a bit. I'm normally SUCH a get-up-and-go person....going about my day feeling burnt out isn't really motivating.

I don't think it's diet - I'm at a doctor-approved intake of 1500/day.....

Maybe I'm just looking to commiserate. Hah! Either way, if you have anything to add, please share!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I start a new program I'm a bit fatigued. Not in a bothersome way though. I'm usually happy to be working hard. It's easier if the deficit isn't too aggressive.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Yup, and my lifting is only heavy for me. I threw an extra 150 calories on my maintenance and my energy went up while my weight stayed stable.

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough to fuel your workout?
  • sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I think so. I ran it all past my GP and he said it's all good. And truthfully, my "heavy" isn't REAL heavy. I'm fairly weak.

If I had to tweak my diet, how much would I have to up my calories? does it take a lot or would an extra 150 be enough?
  • arditarose
    Options

I think so. I ran it all past my GP and he said it's all good. And truthfully, my "heavy" isn't REAL heavy. I'm fairly weak.

If I had to tweak my diet, how much would I have to up my calories? does it take a lot or would an extra 150 be enough?

If it's heavy for you, it's heavy.

How large is your deficit? What are your stats?

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Yes, but make sure you are OK nutritionally too just in case since that can cause sleepiness. Unfortunately lifting heavy almost always makes me a bit to extremely sleepy the next day, and also intensifies any "hangry" feelings...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    deadlift day really burned me for about 36 hours afterwards when i was doing sets-across (5x5, 3x5, same weight for all sets). sleep and eat my way through the next day, kind of tired. it doesn't seem to be nearly as dramatic for me with wendler though.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate your sleep. It makes a huge difference lifting.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yes--I started Nerd Fitness' Beginner Body Weight Regime three weeks ago, and it's kicking my *kitten* during waking hours. I hope this gets better...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I also find lifting heavy makes me super tired. For some reason especially when I am bulking. You would think all the extra food would help, but nope my body is just exhausted like I can't lift it anymore and I keep getting bad DOMS despite being on my program for at least 2 months now. Mind you I think it also has to do with the extreme lack of sleep I am going through, sigh.

Hopefully with time and adequate rest and fuel it gets better for you!
  • sevenofnine01
    Options
    Same here. I seriously not sure how I am typing this right now...

and omg the hangry feelings....

I'm so glad I'm not alone.

I'm turning into a royal *kitten* lately when I get hungry too. Like, angry at EVERYTHING.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yes when I wasn't eating enough to support the lifting. When I eat enough I'm fine.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

If it's heavy for you, it's heavy.

Yes! I had to work really hard to stop saying, "I lifted heavy today! Well.... heavy for me...." as if I was apologizing. You're so right, if it's heavy for you, it's heavy!
  • sevenofnine01
    Options
    ^Yeah, that comment from Arditatose made me pretty happy.

I feel bad that I can only lift the bar, but at least it's something!
  • arditarose
    edited October 2016
    Options

[/quote]

Yes! I had to work really hard to stop saying, "I lifted heavy today! Well.... heavy for me...." as if I was apologizing. You're so right, if it's heavy for you, it's heavy!
    [/quote]

I still do that. It's hard to stop. I'm embarrassed of my numbers but proud at the same time.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ^Yeah, that comment from Arditatose made me pretty happy.

I feel bad that I can only lift the bar, but at least it's something!

I get down because I'm only approaching a 225 squat max. But it's more of a motivating feeling than anything. I started with the bar :) I remember being so sore too hehe
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    On a separate note, make sure you're lifting with proper form. You should be sore from a good workout, but you definitely shouldn't be in pain.