Losing fat/gaining muscle

Options
I'm sure this has been asked so please bare with me. I'm 5'7", 153. Ideally I'd like to be at like 135-140 but I'm more concerned with inches than pounds. That said, currently I'm eating at a deficit and not doing any specific workout plan aside from trying to make sure I'm active enough to hit my 10k steps.

I'm not sure what I should be doing in terms of exercise. I'm considering a kickboxing fitness class a few days a week (9 Round) to help with my calorie deficit and just overall fitness. But at the same time I know I need to be lifting. I hate lifting in the gym so if I do some type of lifting program it would be something like Chalean Extreme with dumbbells. Not sure if that program is very effective though since the weight isn't super heavy or progressive.

Any advice?

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Check out the Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat
    thread.
    There's any number of training routines, just need to find something you like and incorporate progressive loading.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Kind of a generic answer buuuuut... do what gets you motivated to go to another workout. If that's kickboxing-- jackpot.

Chalene Extreme can definitely help with modification- just lift heavier. Track your progress, and see if you can't lift heavier the next week.

Beachbody programs are all typically periodized and built with progression in mind, so it's a decent start.
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is awesome for cardio and will help lose the inches pretty quickly. If you're looking for something to start out there are tons of workout routines out there, I usually start on bodybuilding.com to find one when I'm getting started. Hope this helps!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I find that a good lifting program is best or quickest way to help get strength and muscle results. I find that if I stick with it long enough (when it gets more challenging) is when I crave the training. It can feel laborious in the beginning but may eventually become something you want to conquer.

I think training with a barbell is the most basic functional way to progress. The equipment can be as minimal as a bar and weights. It can be altered to Landmine work.

Kettlebell/dumbbell work may be a good option for you too. I like the variety --swing, Turkish get-up, walking lunge, step-up... And allows for frontal work.

There is a list of seasoned programs in the forum. Choose one that is more your style. If you can dedicate three days a week to the training you can see change in your muscle. You can also gain power from progressive lifting that can translate to explosiveness in kickboxing practice. The idea is to train to get to your goal.