What else can be done to get a flat stomach?

Options
alfonsodiaz31924
alfonsodiaz31924 Posts: 10 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I cut out a lot of sugar and I run a lot. I also lift but still my stomach is the hardest to fix.

Replies

• mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit that will get you to low enough body fat percentage
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.

That said, I'll never have a flat stomach. A nasty surgery many years ago left me with a massive scar, and even when I am slender (like now), my abdomen isn't nice and smooth and flat.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    The right genes. Sorry, I know it's not helpful. I also had a fairly flat stomach when I was overweight, while my legs will never lose their padding. Can't help it. What you could look into is a variety of core exercises (don't forget your lower back) that involve movements, thus no static planks but maybe dynamic ones, all sorts of other core exercises. And lift heavy. That will give a boost to a large amount of muscles.
  • chris1981
    chris1981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat, so keep eating nutritious whole foods, create a calorie deficit, add in resistance and strength training and high intensity workouts such as sprints or circuits and the bodyfat will melt off
  • alfonsodiaz31924
    Options
    I feel like my 6 mile runs do the trick but I should consider sprints!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    As already said, you can't spot reduce body fat. Just eat right and keep dropping the overall body fat %.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Intervals are always good if your goals include increasing your power, stamina, and sprint duration. However, the flat stomach trick is simply going to require continued weight loss from eating at a deficit to trim down the belly fat. Keep up the deficit, and you'll get there. But your running performance will suffer a bit during the cut. Not a problem if you're not racing or getting ready for a competitive event.

Have you thought about adding a longer duration run on the weekend? Say a 10 - 15 mile run?

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

There is no such thing as spot reducing.. You want to lift heavy things and work on body composition.

Run and Sprint for increasing your calorie deficit and moreover for cardiovascular health.. Running is going help you lower body fat % along side a calorie deficit.
  • ashleyx41987
    ashleyx41987 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would personally switch it up. My new best friend is the stairclimber. I would maybe trade out a session or two of running for a new form of cardio, rowing, elliptical, hiking, whatever you want. Also are you working out your abs at least 2x a week? If so, switch up the routine and add some new ones. I'm no expert but it works for me. :)
  • alfonsodiaz31924
    Options
    I switch it up with different ab workouts. I'm going back to doing some insanity vids.
  • alfonsodiaz31924
    Options
    I have read them all. Food intake has changed and I'm cutting out as much sugar as I can and I'm doing sprints at least once a week.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Core workouts.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have read them all. Food intake has changed and I'm cutting out as much sugar as I can and I'm doing sprints at least once a week.

I did not see where the recommendation was to cut sugar, but you have been cutting sugar since June..

The food intake has changed as in your are sticking to a calorie deficit to lose? I think you are spinning your wheels on sprinting once a week to meet the "flat stomach" goal.. is that still the goal now?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Is that why 200m track sprinters always have less fat on the left side of their abs?

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out sugar. A calorie deficit is what causes fat loss. To build/tighten the abdominals, you may wish to train them directly. But until you have a decent bodyfat percentage it doesn't matter what you do as they'll be hidden.

This.
    Are you eating at a calorie deficit? This is the only way to lose fat/lower your bodyfat %. You can still lose weight eating sugar and doing no exercise. I eat sugar (but I lift and walk/cycle because I like it, not for weight loss). You cannot spot reduce...seems many don't actually understand what that means and continue to comment... For many, the abdominal area is the last to go.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

You might have read them, but you didn't understand them. Are you eating at a calorie deficit?