Diet soda and water retention?

Options
Since Sunday I have gradually put on weight at a rate of around 0.75lb per day. I'm experienced enough to know this is not fat gain since I have been eating at a deficit for a few weeks. The only real change to my diet this week has been drinking quite a lot of diet soda (about 2 litres per day). I weigh myself every day and go by my average weight so I not freaking out over the gain, but I am curious whether anyone else has noticed water retention/bloating after drinking diet drinks.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    2l of diet soda weighs approximately 2kg (4.5lb).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options

Well, yes - but that fluid isnt staying in his body - unless he is in renal failure.

I havent noticed this effect myself OP - but I can see that fizzy drinks( diet or otherwise) might cause it for some people

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop the soda. It is horrible for your bones.
  • StealthHealth
    Options

Well, yes - but that fluid isnt staying in his body - unless he is in renal failure.

I havent noticed this effect myself OP - but I can see that fizzy drinks( diet or otherwise) might cause it for some people

No, but some of that fluid may still be in his body at the point of his daily weigh in. His drinking habits have changed and his weight has gone up whilst in calorific deficit. My post was to get OP to consider that because, I'm suggesting that (based on what we know so far) it's most likely to be due to a full bladder rather than retained fluids elsewhere.
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    @StealthHealth Just for clarity - I weigh each morning at the same time, after peeing.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    So, I guess you're either :
    • retaining water due to the diet sodas
    • retaining water due to some other reason (salt, weather, change in exercise, carbohydrate increase etc)
    • not in deficit

Personally, I've not noticed a water retention issue with diet sodas, but I don't drink them often enough or in sufficient volume to say. Some brands may have a bit of sodium in them but probably not enough (even with 2l per day) to cause retention.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Why would you suddenly start drinking soda? Even diet soda is terrible for you- especially 2 liters of it! That's a lot!! The reason the sweetener doesn't have calories is because your body cannot digest it- but it still has an effect. In this case it sounds like it is causing an inflammatory reaction and resulting in water retention- have you noticed being bloated lately? Soda is bad for you, artificial sweeteners (except stevia) are terrible for you. Cut it out and just drink water! Or if you need something more interesting to drink try sparkling water, herbal tea, water with a little lemon juice squeezed in it... it's important to eat real nutritious foods and hydrate with actual water, not just hit your calorie goal.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Visit Web MD: Soda is linked to Osteoporosis. Studies have shown 4% lower bone density (hips) in women that consume 3 or more cola's daily.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Why would you suddenly start drinking soda? Even diet soda is terrible for you- especially 2 liters of it! That's a lot!! The reason the sweetener doesn't have calories is because your body cannot digest it- but it still has an effect. In this case it sounds like it is causing an inflammatory reaction and resulting in water retention- have you noticed being bloated lately? Soda is bad for you, artificial sweeteners (except stevia) are terrible for you. Cut it out and just drink water! Or if you need something more interesting to drink try sparkling water, herbal tea, water with a little lemon juice squeezed in it... it's important to eat real nutritious foods and hydrate with actual water, not just hit your calorie goal.

Get ready for the onslaught. I agree with you 100% but you will never convince anyone here. You'll just get hammered on. Just preparing you.....

For the record OP - I use to drink quite a bit of diet soda and it does make me retain a significant amount of fluid, but I am a water retainer by nature.
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just discovered Coke Zero and Cherry Coke Zero and am loving it. I gave up my Soda Stream Cola because it was half and half real sugar and artificial sweetener because I am trying to stay lower carb. I do not like the standard diet colas but I guess since I was drinking the half and half for a few years, I got used to the taste and Coke Zero tastes much better to me than Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi. I did a lot of reading and didn't find any reasons for not indulging in a 20ounce bottle on a daily basis. It sure makes meals more enjoyable to me.
  • daz2270
    Options

TBH - I'm agnostic in terms of the health implications of diet soda. I've not seen anything reputable that conclusively proves sweeteners have any adverse effects. They do help if I get a craving for something sweet and I don't have many calories to spare. I was just curious whether others had noticed any water gain as a result. I am going to eliminate them for next few days and see if it makes any difference.
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    my only thought would be constipation. Diet fizzy drinks and non diet ones particularly those with caffeine can act like a diuretic and this can lead to you passing less when you go for a number 2 or just going less frequently or even not at all.
  • daz2270
    Options
    Fayecg89 wrote: »
    my only thought would be constipation. Diet fizzy drinks and non diet ones particularly those with caffeine can act like a diuretic and this can lead to you passing less when you go for a number 2 or just going less frequently or even not at all.

Without going in to details - this may be a factor....
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    daz2270 wrote: »
    Fayecg89 wrote: »

Without going in to details - this may be a factor....

LOL! I have the same problem as I love my diet Coke. I found cutting down to one can a day and taking a 250mg magnesium supplement tablet helped sort this issue out as it also depletes your magnesium that can contribute to this problem as well.
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    With me it is the higher protein that stops me up. I thought artificial sweeteners...at least some of those had the opposite effect. The sugar free gummy bears being an example and I was warned when I got my sugar free hershey bars that I would get the "squirts". I was getting corked up before I started the Coke Zero. I was actually kind of hoping it would help things in that department as well as enhance my meals but only had a couple 20 ouncers over the past few days so no "data" to really share on that one yet....lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    daz2270 wrote: »
    Since Sunday I have gradually put on weight at a rate of around 0.75lb per day. I'm experienced enough to know this is not fat gain since I have been eating at a deficit for a few weeks. The only real change to my diet this week has been drinking quite a lot of diet soda (about 2 litres per day). I weigh myself every day and go by my average weight so I not freaking out over the gain, but I am curious whether anyone else has noticed water retention/bloating after drinking diet drinks.

The body naturally fluctuates several lbs a day. Diet soda is actually fairly low in sodium, so it won't be a huge contribution to water weight.
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    Exactly. In the Coke Zero that I drink there is only 70mg in 20 ounces. For me that is negligible.