HELP!! I keep shoving my face!!

Options
So... I have found lots of low calorie and healthy foods... high protein, low sodium. I NET at least 1,200 calories a day... but I usually end up netting a couple hundred more than that.

I am also doing lots of exercise.

But I seem to be eating A LOT - as in, HUGE PORTIONS!!! This morning I had TWO packs of "Eating Right Oatmeal" (now, with the two packs together, it was still only 230 calories... so not bad there).

This is happening a lot with other food too, especially around dinner time and night-time snack time.

Yes, I am eating way less calories and doing good there. But PORTION wise, I don't think I'm doing good. I am still hungry from after my breakfast!

It gets bad at night - I am usually still eating my night-time snack as I am getting under the covers.

I have perfected the calorie intake and exercise - HELP ME PERFECT MY PORTION CONTROL!!!

Replies

• MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest focusing on getting some good protein in. It will help you feel fuller and less likely to over-do it.

Good luck!!
  • calikimi
    calikimi Posts: 30
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I always try to drink a full glass of Water 15-20 min before my meal. I alsp drink plenty of water throughout the day. Since i've started being strict with my water intake I've noticed I eat a lot less!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest focusing on getting some good protein in. It will help you feel fuller and less likely to over-do it.

Good luck!!

What she said.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with big portion sizes if you are still staying below your calorie intake? That must mean you are eating a lot of veggies, which is always a good thing. I would try eating more protein or fiber and see how your body reacts to it. If you remain this hungry all the time, it may be hard for you to sustain your calorie goal.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I always try to drink a full glass of Water 15-20 min before my meal. I alsp drink plenty of water throughout the day. Since i've started being strict with my water intake I've noticed I eat a lot less!

Yes I am drinking about 2L a day... Maybe I need to drink even more?
  • thisismynewmindset
    Options
    what's wrong with big portion sizes if you are still staying below your calorie intake?

I was thinking the same thing... but I hear everyone talk about portion sizes... plus the portions I eat are probably stretching my stomach... no?
  • tsaenz09
    tsaenz09 Posts: 30
    Options
    I did the same thing! Whats me is eating smaller meals throughout the day that way I want be starving and scarf down an extrem amount of food. Also, with the foods you are snaking on or love to eat the most, put them in the freezer. Yes, I know this sounds strange but it helps you not to eat as much. If I buy a box of cookies or something I'll get one and put the rest the freezer, that way I don't eat as much.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You might try a little more water. 2L is good but you have room to add more, if you'd like.

Personally, I think that if you're keeping under your calorie goal, your portion sizes are moot, especially if you're still hungry and you're losing weight in the process. If it really bothers you, eat more meals and less at each meal. I'm not good at eating three big meals a day. I'd rather eat little meals and snacks all day long.
  • thisismynewmindset
    Options
    Okay I think this is what I am going to do:

- Up my water to at least 3L per day
    - Have small meals throughout the day (except for breakfast... which should always be big)
    - Try to eat the majority of my calories earlier in the day so I have less to play with at night.

Now the third one might be hard (not the part about eating the majority of my cals earlier in the day... but not eating as much at night. Just because I have a calorie allotment doesn't mean it's not easy to just let myself go over!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    don't forget about the protein. Also I have weeks when I am hungrier and weeks when I am less so. You might see if this is all the time or just one week. If your body is telling you it is hungrier I would listen.
  • aprilfiege
    aprilfiege Posts: 28
    Options
    So... I have found lots of low calorie and healthy foods... high protein, low sodium. I NET at least 1,200 calories a day... but I usually end up netting a couple hundred more than that.

I am also doing lots of exercise.

But I seem to be eating A LOT - as in, HUGE PORTIONS!!! This morning I had TWO packs of "Eating Right Oatmeal" (now, with the two packs together, it was still only 230 calories... so not bad there).

This is happening a lot with other food too, especially around dinner time and night-time snack time.

Yes, I am eating way less calories and doing good there. But PORTION wise, I don't think I'm doing good. I am still hungry from after my breakfast!

It gets bad at night - I am usually still eating my night-time snack as I am getting under the covers.

I have perfected the calorie intake and exercise - HELP ME PERFECT MY PORTION CONTROL!!!

... If you don't mind, maybe create a sample meal plan of what you would eat in a day, that would help to see if maybe you could add "blah" foods here or there to help with the cravings and hunger after meals :-)
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    what's wrong with big portion sizes if you are still staying below your calorie intake?

I was thinking the same thing... but I hear everyone talk about portion sizes... plus the portions I eat are probably stretching my stomach... no?

People talk about portion control because they were eating terrible foods. In other words, I can still eat french fries, as long as I get a small that is 250 calories instead of a large that is 600. If you are eating low calorie foods, it doesnt matter what portions you eat as long as you stay within your goal. I eat 1510 per day and have lost 30lbs in 2 months eating Twinkies, burgers, etc. If you are truly careful and stick with your lifestyle change, you will naturally find foods that are lower calorie (turkey burgers over beef, etc).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You're 5'11" and 170lbs. You only have 20 more lbs to lose. And you work out too? 1200 calories are too low! No wonder you can't do it!

I was having the same issues. I was constantly hungry and therefore constantly eating too much. I had my goal at 1lb/week which put me at a calorie goal of about 1500 net. I was eating 1900net or so and just couldn't control myself. Yeah, but then I lost 3 lbs when I had been around 160 since March. Interesting.... So now my goal is 0.5lbs / week which puts me at about 1800 net which is sooooo much more do-able. It's been freaking liberating. I no longer beat myself up over my "lack of will power". If your hungry, maybe your body just needs more food.

Those of use with only a little bit of weight to lose (and yeah, 20lbs really isn't that much) should NOT be trying to lose 2lbs a week. And maybe not even 1.