Is there any such thing as too many veggies in a meal?

Options
When I diet I often want to get that feeling of fullness without too many calories. So often this means I might eat,say, 5 cups of broccoli slaw or shaved Brussels sprouts for dinner. Is there any reason to think that completely stuffing my face like this will hinder my weight loss, so long as I'm including it in my daily calorie budget? Thanks!

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't believe it will directly hinder your weight loss. But it could cause gastrointestinal distress. 5 cups of broccoli or brussels sprouts would literally provide a shitload of fiber.

That's a perfect way of describing it!
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Too much of ANYTHING can be a bad thing, including vegetables and even water. As above, too much fiber can be a bad thing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat a crap ton of vegetables. More fibrous veggies took me a little while to be able to build up volume without getting...you know, blah. I do try to keep broccoli and such more to two servings-ish. But I will eat 300g of cucumber, 300g tomato, 200g red cabbage, 180g leafy greens in one salad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A memorable family camping trip, on a budget, ended the day with hot dogs, beans, and coleslaw. That was a tootin rootin night, let me tell you.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    jenelkaye wrote: »
    When I diet I often want to get that feeling of fullness without too many calories. So often this means I might eat,say, 5 cups of broccoli slaw or shaved Brussels sprouts for dinner. Is there any reason to think that completely stuffing my face like this will hinder my weight loss, so long as I'm including it in my daily calorie budget? Thanks!

Vegetables are not "bad" for you, but this wouldn't be considered a balanced meal. You need some protein and carbohydrates in suitable proportions.
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also consider if you put any condiments or butter or oil that could push up the calories of the veggies! But I would say that if you have to eat a lot of something, eat a lot of vegetables!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I will say that my stomach looks absolutely huge at the end of the day because of all the vegetables I eat. I don't let it bother me on the weekday but if it's Friday or Saturday and I have a date, I try to reduce the volume so I can wear a little black dress.

• chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that is an issue at all. I'll regularly eat a huge bowl (3-5 cups) of broccoli with dinner to fill me up. Tastes great and works! Just be sure you're logging everything.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't believe it will directly hinder your weight loss. But it could cause gastrointestinal distress. 5 cups of broccoli or brussels sprouts would literally provide a shitload of fiber.

LOL, beat me to it.

OP, the only possible side effect to eating that amount of cruciferous vegetables might be a little bloating & gas (really stinky sulphury farts to be specific) The other thing is you may want to go for a little more variety to ward off boredom (I love oatmeal but don't want to eat it every day....)
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much the way I eat. My body is used to the fiber, so I don't get bloated or gassy, but I do feel full and satisfied. I'm a volume eater and don't feel satisfied if I don't feel a little full. The only way for me to feel that full without going over on calories is to load up on the vegetables.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

This. Especially if you have to be around people afterwards I wouldn't try it...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    This is pretty much the way I eat. My body is used to the fiber, so I don't get bloated or gassy, but I do feel full and satisfied. I'm a volume eater and don't feel satisfied if I don't feel a little full. The only way for me to feel that full without going over on calories is to load up on the vegetables.

So, this! I'm a volume eater too, and I have to get that full feeling. I eat lots of veggies, but I have to take beano so there will be no gas. :D