Working Out When You Are Too Fat To Do Anything

Options
I am discouraged already. I had a dream last night that I weighed myself and it said 149lbs. Sadly, I am about 100lbs off, at 258lbs. I told myself I'd start a harder workout than my Walk Away the Pounds, but I got 5 minutes into Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training and had to stop. It was too much for me. My hip joints already creak, pop and crack while I "Walk Away the Pounds". I really want to do more, but my body and all this fat won't let me.

I feel so trapped inside this body, and am eating healthy and exercising, and I know, know, KNOW it is going to take time to see results, but I am just so downtrodden that my body is not allowing me to work harder. I was satisfied and proud of myself in knowing that I did Walk Away the Pounds 5 days a week until I came here and seen how much more everyone else was doing. I guess trying to compare myself to others is what is bringing me down. That and I don't have a scale to weigh myself, so I have to wait until my doctor's appointment, which is only once a month. (Well I have a scale I just bought but it is not accurate and it is a piece.)

Anyways, I am really mad I let myself get this bad. As i saw myself gain weight, I was too lazy and didn't do anything about it. Now I am really deep in, and I have such a long road to travel to even make it to my 1st goal of 200lbs. I am just so discouraged.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Not to be cheesy but they say Rome wasn't built in a day, and you can't go from a couch potato to a marathon runner overnight either!

Kudos to taking the right steps to better yourself, but don't get discouraged and down on yourself so fast.

Take things slow. Most people would recommend walking 30 minutes a day to get the blood flowing. Work 5 squats in there during your walk, or 5 jumping jacks.

I'm a pretty avid exerciser and I've done the Jackie Warner circuit and it was tough for me, so I'd say that would be a little advanced for a newbie to start with that. However, I think maybe you could handle Gilad Total Body Sculpt with light weights...something to look into. I'm sure there are quite a few DVDs out there for newbies.

Good luck!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You can do this! At my heaviest weight I couldn't even walk up a single flight of stairs. Now I'm running 5km races for fun on weekends. If you'd like, we can be friends. I'm going through some discouragement myself these days :frown:
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I know the feeling! I felt like that at first too. then i started to say hey yesterday was one block and today i did 2! So on and so on now i can go for a good few miles or so. it may sound lame but it worked for me. stay postive you can do it!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I agree! you are already on the right track by deciding to take care of yourself! Go for a walk in a a nice distracting place, the mall, a zoo, a park so you don't pay attention (too much) for aches. Find something to make you happy while you do it!
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    you need to build up to it .. i mean i weigh more than you do & i was just out biking for 35 min. .. when i started i'd be COMPLETELY DEAD in 7 min. so just keep on going, it'll get easier every day! (:
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was looking at your weight chart and think you are doing great! Remember, weight lost in a slow, steady pace is weight that you can keep off - loosing too fast is a recipe for failure.

I have a lot of the same problems with exercise that you do - if you would like to chat about strategies and things that work, please friend me and we can compare notes.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    go to the nearest walmart and test out their scales. :)
  • dkug1964
    dkug1964 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try some low impact exercises. Walking in a swimming pool will give you a "harder" workout without putting any added stress on your joints. Some cardio machines can help here to.

Good luck!
  • melmarler
    melmarler Posts: 23
    Options
    You did 5 minutes more than you did before so that is a start. Today do 5 1/2 minutes. Tomorrow 6. Make a goal to push yourself a little more each day/week and you will get there.
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats for starting the journey. Your best days are just ahead of you. Don't be discouraged. Start slow and don't rush yourself to do any strenious excercise. I would say maybe start with changing you eating first and then add in some walking. Do a little until you feel you are ready to increase the time and or intensity of your walk. Simple walking goes along ways.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing... I just went to the library and checked out a few more work out dvd's I figure even if I can't do them perfectly I'm still moving and since it is currently hovering at 114 heat index outside my daily walk just isnt going to happen!
    Good luck to you it's a long road but if you look around you will make lots of friends on your journey!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I know it's discouraging but you are on the right track! I was getting discouraged when I couldn't get through my videos....until I realized that I don't have to keep up with them! ANY movenment is better than none. When I allow myself to go at a (sometimes much) slower pace, I find I can endure it longer and feel like I have acheived something in the end.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I started I was hurting just walking, just one step at a time, right now I am doing just some weight training to build some strength in my back, legs and arms and walk, The first day I was out of breath and hurting after 5 Minutes of walking, now I do 20 to 30 min, though mostly I am out of breath after 30 minutes, but it well get better. I want to do Zumba and I will start as soon as I can walk 45 minutes without having to use my asthma spray. You can do it, hang in there! You are worth it!!!!
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel! Even walking is difficult and painful! It can be so stressful! But we will do this. We can do this!!!!
  • ktieman
    ktieman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!!!! I know it's hard; I started out at 281 pounds. My excericise was cleaning; I mean deep cleaning. Anything that gets your heart rate up is a plus. Do a little and it will turn into alot. It has taken me over a year, but know I take the stairs just like a person half my size instead of of foot done then the other and then onto the next step. My knees and hips both are feeling better and your's will to in time. Just don't give up, keep at at it and it will come to you.:flowerforyou:
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started at 230 and just started walking and doing the walk away the pounds videos when I couldn't walk outside. Stick with it!!! as long as you are moving you will get to when you want to be. It won't happen overnight (unfortunately) but it will happen if you have dilligence and determination! good luck!
  • szyja
    szyja Posts: 42
    Options
    Do NOT talk to yourself that way. Would you tell a co-worker..."just give up...it won't do you any good"...NO...you have to begin to treat yourself and think about yourself the way you would think of a friend. You can do this and you will do it. Yes, it will take time. I began about two years ago trying to get "healthy". That's all I wanted. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and could barely walk. The pain in my legs was intense. Two years later and a LONG, HARD road, I am walking without a limp and doing a DVD program called TurboFire. I am stronger than I have ever been but I still have a way to go. :) I will get there and you will too. When your body is fighting you, fight it harder. Sometimes a bit of a push (don't go crazy, just get a bit out of your comfort zone) will show results quicker. Just keep fighting! You can do this!!!!:wink:
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    I know how you feel...at one point I was 255lbs! Do what you can when you can. And the best advice I can give you is NOT compare yourself to others. Stop right now or it will drive you insane!!!! I promise.

Buy a pedometer and set a goal of adding and extra 500 steps in your day. And then in 2 weeks add another 500 steps. That will start to build up your endurance. Please don't underestimate walking. Its what our bodies are designed to do. Just because others are running and all that DOES NOT mean you have to. Again you cannot compare yourself to others! Feel free to add me honey! I know how you feel!

We are here to help you in anway!:heart:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    2 things I'd like to suggest:

1) Go for a walk. A short walk outside. 5 minutes one direction, 5 minutes home. Do this once a day. If this doesn't feel too hard for you, walk for 10 minutes one way, 10 minutes back instead! Or just walk as far as you can without being too tired to walk home. Any time at all is worthwhile as long as you push yourself to do it every day.

2) Do you have access to a pool? Local pool, gym membership, apartment complex pool, one in your backyard, a friends house, anything? If you do, just hop in and walk back and forth across the pool. This is just like walking but with added resistance from the water, as well as a bit of help for your feet/knee joints from the buoyancy of the water.

As long as you are trying every day, you can do it! :happy: Focus on your diet first, and exercise second. Hopefully you are doing well with your food choices and drinking lots of water every day. You will really see results if you focus hard on the food choices.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    You started with walking - that's how I started at 135kg. Just try to extend the time you walk by five or ten minutes every couple of days, or find a hill and add that into your route. It's taken me almost a year to lose 15kg - and I lost half of that before joining the gym and MFP just by walking. It seems slow, and it is. You'll get discouraged (especially when you get your own scales and the weight doesn't fly off every week like you want it to). But it does work - and the slower you do it, the better your body recovers.

You can do it - baby steps.

Your legs will get stronger and the weight will come off which will ease the strain on your hips and knees. Once you've lost a little more, you'll begin to see it, I promise. I'm nowhere near my goal, but I can see little changes all the time.