Options
2»

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    These are really good and they freeze really well:

http://cookingwhims.com/2012/02/22/whip-it-up-wednesday-chickpea-tahini-patties/

My husband and I enjoy them so much that we've made them part of our regular meal rotation. I serve them on a hamburger bun topped with spinach and tomato slices. :) They're also quite nice topped with a bit of hummus!

EDIT: Oops, it seems like the website is no longer there! :( I use the recipe so often that I haven't tried to follow that link for a long time, and just posted it without clicking. Darn it. But here's the recipe that I got from it:

Vegetarian Chickpea Patties
    Makes 6 patties

Ingredients:
    • 400g can of chickpeas, drained (260 grams net)
    • 80g plain breadcrumbs
    • 30g tahina
    • 7.5g cumin (1.5 tsp)
    • 5g baking powder
    • 100g onions, chopped finely
    • 3 large garlic cloves, grated
    • 20g parsley, chopped
    • 20g coriander, chopped
    • 0.5 lemon, juiced
    • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 400°F
    2. Mix the breadcrumbs, baking powder, cumin, salt, and pepper together. Set aside.
    3. Combine the chopped onions, parsley, coriander, garlic, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
    4. Add the chickpeas and breadcrumbs to a food processor. Pulse continuously until you have a coarse, crumbly texture.
    5. Add the herb mixture and stir the contents of the food processor with a spoon to loosen the mix. Pour in the tahina and mix again. Run the food processor on low to medium until the ingredients are well-combined.
    6. Wearing gloves, use your hands to remove the “dough” from the food processor and form it into a ball. Divide it into six parts and shape into patties, placing them on a greased or paper-lined baking sheet as you form them.
    7. Bake the patties at 400°F for 15 minutes. Do not attempt to remove them from the baking sheet until they have cooled completely, or they will fall apart.
    8. Freeze leftover patties for as long as three months, if needed.

This sounds very, very good.

It is! Absolutely heavenly. I hope you try it! :)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    Hummus with veggies (I have a recipe for butterbean hummus if you'd like it; I'm not a fan of the texture of garbanzo beans)

Yes, please, on the butterbean hummus (I like both garbanzos and butterbeans, and am definitely in the mood to play.

Sure thing.

1 can of large butterbeans, drained (1 3/4 cup)
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne
    Juice of 1/2 lemon

Blend up and that's it. I've also added roasted red peppers which is great! I rarely keep tahini on hand but I usually have sesame oil so that's why I used it. I'm sure you can adjust seasonings to your liking.

• chriskalen
    chriskalen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been bringing salads lately, which I pack the night before by layering the ingredients in a quart deli container. (Similar to those "mason jar salads" you see on Pinterest, but a bit more practical, because the plastic deli containers are obviously lighter and far less likely to break!) Then at work I dump it into a big bowl and mix it up. In the following order, I typically use:

1/2 cup (113g) low-fat cottage cheese
    1 oz (28g) feta
    100g chickpeas (or sometimes a can of tuna but I prefer the chickpeas)
    1 oz (28g) shredded carrots
    50-100g of some other veggie (cucumber, red pepper, etc)
    then fill to the top with a green of choice (usually arugula because it's so flavorful)

On the side I pack a fist sized tomato and cut it up at work so that the texture doesn't get ruined in the fridge. :)

This usually runs me about 350-380 calories, depending. I also add plenty of seasoning salt (CampMix or Jane's Krazy Salt), black pepper, and crushed red pepper.

I love cottage cheese so using it as a dressing is pretty tasty, and has the benefit of adding moisture and protein. The juice from the tomato also helps with moisture, and the feta adds some tang where the cottage cheese doesn't.
    You could also add vinegar but I keep forgetting. I want to try adding dijon mustard or dill, also!

• Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Great recipe thanks
  • madperson42
    madperson42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As many have said humous and veggies are great, as are salads.
    With my salads i'll often make some roast butternut squash, or some baked tofu for my dinner, and save half for my salad.
    Also ricecakes or crackers with low fat cottage cheese is tasty and has high protein if you eat cheese.
  • anjajacobs10
    anjajacobs10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love salads. I usually have a salad at lunch with lots of veggies, garbanzos or cheese for protein and a low-cal vinaigrette.

I also do bring leftovers from dinner the night before.

One of my recent favorites is a homemade burrito bowl.
    1/2 cup Brown rice tossed with lime juice
    1/2 cup Black beans
    1/2 cup bell peppers and onions (sautéed or roasted with a light spritz of olive oil from my Misto sprayer)
    2 tbsp Fresh pico de gallo
    2 tbsp guacamole
    1 cup Shredded lettuce
    1 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt (I use this in place of sour cream)
    2 oz shredded 2% milk fat cheese (I like Colby jack)
    2 tbsp salsa

Keep the beans, rice, and sautéed veggies in one container, microwave those then dump in a bowl with all the cold stuff (I usually layer those in another Tupperware container, lettuce and cheese on top so they don't get soggy). It might not look too pretty, but man it's delicious and filling.

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like a tempeh wrap with siracha vegan mayo (mix siracha with vegan mayo). Lightly saute tempeh (can do day before) and put in a wrap with veggies and hummus.