Do you eat Durian?

Options
Smells like rotten garlic, has a soft and mushy texture and a sickly sweet flavor with not tartness whatsoever. Sound delicious to you?

The first time I tasted durian I almost hurled. My Thai gf wanted to see my reaction I guess, and she thought it was hilarious. The second time was a few years later. I didn't feel nauseous but it still tasted bad. The third time was 2 years ago, when I had almost no sense of taste shortly after a flu, and I actually ate a big chunk (100g?) and though it was ok. In fact, I thought I was starting to understand the flavor better, if that makes sense.

About 4 months ago I tried it again. Tentative at first, I actually liked it, and finished the entire portion I was given like a big boy. Then 2 weeks after that, curious to try it again, I absolutely loved it! I spent the last 2 weeks of my vacation in Thailand looking for opportunities to eat it again.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can get fresh durian in the states.

Questions: What is your experience with durian? Do you know of a way I can get it here in the US?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Go to an Asian market. That's the only way. They sell them in the Asian markets where I live even though we're in the South.

I have tried a lot of other Asian fruits and liked them, but I haven't grown the cojones to try durian yet lol.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The only place I have seen them at was this huge international store in Cincinnati a friend took me to when I went to visit her last year. I had seen them on TV but was surprised how large they really are. That store also sold durian flavored popsicles. :lol:

I've never tried one but the flavor has sounded like something I might like so I'm interested to try it if I get the chance. I debated it when I was in Cincinnati but I wasn't going to spend $15 on a huge fruit I couldn't take back home or buy a full pack of popsicles.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Never had it, kind of scared of it, and I'll usually try anything.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I feel like I was watching an episode of Bizarre Foods and Andrew Zimmern had a bad experience with Durian. In fact, for the guy who literally eats ANYTHING, I think he said it was one of the few things he couldn't stomach.

That and that fish some european country soaks in lye.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I remember all the signs in the hotels in Thailand forbidding guests from bringing durian fruit in. I had no idea what it was, so asked and the man said "smelly, bad. you won't like it" and puckered his face up.. didn't sound like he was a fan, either.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've tried it fresh and in a smoothie. Blech. No thanks. I've seen it sold fresh in Asian markets. Pretty sure you can get it in canned form too.

If I were in SE Asia, I'd gorge on mangosteen or jackfruit instead!

• leosmith66
    leosmith66 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My Thai friends try to convince me that all the hotels really care about is keeping Durian out of the elevators. Not sure this is true, but we sneaked one into my condo one time using the service elevator (22nd floor), and the scent didn't linger as far as I know, but that's the same lift they use for garbage, so who knows.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    If you live near an H-Mart (or even Lotte Plaza) you could probably find it. As another person commented, any Asian market will likely have the stuff!
    This being said and done, I refuse to touch the stuff I find it appalling! I've tried Durian candies once that I got off Amazon and it was the strangest experience of not too bad to terrible in less than three seconds and I couldn't wash away the taste. I don't even think it would be worth trying again to see if I like it! Haha but good luck, you brave, brave soul!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I feel like I was watching an episode of Bizarre Foods and Andrew Zimmern had a bad experience with Durian. In fact, for the guy who literally eats ANYTHING, I think he said it was one of the few things he couldn't stomach.

Interestingly enough, Zimmern does hate it and Anthony Bordain loves it. I saw an episode where he was sitting on the beach alone eating one right out of the rind and extolling its virtues. I have a feeling it's like blue cheese or cilantro: you either love it or you hate it, there's little in between.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like durian, but I don't go out of my way to eat it nor do I ever buy it at the market. It's just kind of a messy thing to eat which is the only thing I dislike about it.

I find it hilarious when people talk about how vile durian is. I guess it doesn't bother me because I was exposed to it when I was younger.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    htimpaired wrote: »

Interestingly enough, Zimmern does hate it and Anthony Bordain loves it. I saw an episode where he was sitting on the beach alone eating one right out of the rind and extolling its virtues. I have a feeling it's like blue cheese or cilantro: you either love it or you hate it, there's little in between.

I'm actually not sure why but cilantro doesn't bother me; I don't love it nor hate it. Most times I eat something with it I'll enjoy the dish, unless it's from Qdoba. Seriously, I don't know that that place does to that poor cilantro but there's is the only version where I'm repulsed by it. No clue why.
    I also loathe blue cheese. Blue cheese and durian. And walnuts; walnuts are dry, oily, and bland, just like hazelnuts I don't see the appeal behind those things!

But really I promise I love food and eating whatever is within 5 feet of me outside of those things.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I love fruit but I don't think I would eat durian. I'd try it if was free. You can find it in Asian markets but the whole fruit is big and heavy.... you're looking at $10 at least for something experimental. Also check their freezer section... they might have some vacuum packed pieces of the fruit. I wonder if you'd experience the full effect that way though. I just can't eat foods that stink. How can you be a fruit and smell like onions? :unamused:

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    No way, durian damages your health. I stay way clear of that and monster lasagna. Blech.

True Fact
  • leosmith66
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My local asian markets don't carry it, but I found a market that's only a 1hr drive from here. Yay! I'm going to surprise the hell (not kitten) out of a friend of mine.
    No way, durian damages your health. I stay way clear of that and monster lasagna. Blech.
    True Fact
    Lol - I assume that's a joke.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    the smell puts me off - so haven't tried it. I also intensely dislike custard apple and it appears to be similar in texture so nup.

But you should be able to get it from Asian stores. They sell them here in Australia from Asian stores.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Love it! It is served occasionally at the (mostly) Thai temple I go to, and I never pass it up.
  • leosmith66
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just bought 2 durian for $23. Quite a bargain for the US, considering the last one I bought in Thailand was about $10. These are Thai monthong durian, and they appear to have been frozen, or at least stored at very cold temperatures for some time. I'll let you know how they turn out. I plan on eating one on Sunday.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You can find them in almost every Asian supermarket. Have you tried to put them in the freezer? it tasted like ice cream!

I was in a friend's house when I first tried. I had a cold and couldn't smell anything. So I was totally in love with it!