Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    half of them.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back about 80% of mine. I'm maintaining just fine so no issues with it. But I will say it took a long time to figure out how much to eat back. When I was losing weight I tried to eat back no more than 50% but when I hit maintenance I gradually moved up to maintenance calories and also moved up to eating back up to 80% of my exercise calories. All you have to do is watch your weight loss/gain over a period of a few weeks to see how it affects you. Don't make a decision based on a single week or day of gain. Start around 50% and move up or down depending on the apps/devices you use to log your calories. Every app and device is going to give you a different amount of exercise calories. Some will argue one is more accurate over another, but in the end it really only matters how accurate the one YOU are using might be. So adjust to it and you won't have issues going forward.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If your activity level doesn't include exercise activity, wouldn't it be logical and basic common sense to account for that activity somewhere?

Yes...this is the way MFP is designed...if you haven't accounted for exercise activity in your activity level you should be accounting for it somewhere...you just have to be careful in that it's difficult to accurately estimate calorie burns which is why most people arbitrarily eat some fraction.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to eat them all...on weight training days I get 200 extra on top of my 1440..and cardio days about 386...I joined hear because I wasn't losing at a low deficit diet. I think my body went into starvation mode...how many calories do u eat a day?
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Nd I'm trying to break this plateau. I've been fluctuating between 144 and 147 for 5 months. My goal is 130
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Never ate my exercise calories back at all. I have some physical issues that sometimes limit the intensity of my workout and a lot of times the estimated calories are based on a large general population and depending on your Fitness level and your intensity of the workout they could be more or less.

It's a learning process sometimes I eat more than my maintenance level and other times I eat less it depends on how I feel it took me a month or so to figure maintenance out but I think I'm doing it pretty well now
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Like everyone one else some but not all I try to stay about 500 under my recommend calories and above protein. I need to get as close to 166g for protein. So far I haven't hit the wall. When that happens. I increase my intake a little.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    I feel like I need to eat them all...on weight training days I get 200 extra on top of my 1440..and cardio days about 386...I joined hear because I wasn't losing at a low deficit diet. I think my body went into starvation mode...how many calories do u eat a day?

Starvation mode doesn't work that way. If you haven't been losing, it's because you've been eating more than you think and should tighten up your logging.

OP, when I follow MFP's goals I eat about 75% of my Fitbit calories back.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I try not to but I know they're there if I need 'em.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them, every time. I get hungry after workouts!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    I was on weight watchers before this, made life time member. I track everything that goes into my mouth. I am definitely aware of my caloric intake. And yes, starvation mode does work like that. When leptin levels are low ones metabolism slows down and if it's jn that deficit for to long of a time your body enters "starvation mode

"
    malibu927 wrote: »

Starvation mode doesn't work that way. If you haven't been losing, it's because you've been eating more than you think and should tighten up your logging.

malibu927 wrote: »