Recipes from Around the World

Options
Staceym2112
Staceym2112 Posts: 892 Member
Looking for Authentic Recipes passed down in different countries. I'm trying to get a 10 year old to try new things in life as well as being more adventurous myself. If you would like to share. Please include the recipe and what country/religion it comes from.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend. Google a nationality or culture and the word recipes. Just type in something like "estonian recipes" and up will pop plenty of sources.

If you see an ingredient you don't recognize, just google again and ask what it is. For example, an Estonian recipe I just looked at called for "500-600 grams cleaned saffron milkcaps." What the heck is that? I googled "what are saffron milkcaps" and it's some sort of mushroom. So, if I were to convert this recipe to my kitchen, I would just use whatever mushroom (white, crimini, etc.) I found in the grocery store. The resulting recipe would not be wholly authentic but it would be close enough for the people in my house who've never had Estonian food.

Converting grams to American pounds is pretty easy, too, if you remember that 500 grams (a "pfund") is a little over a pound. So, in most recipes, 1 pound of white mushrooms will stand in just fine for "500-600 grams cleaned saffron milkcaps."
  • Staceym2112
    Staceym2112 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tried that. I came up with a bunch of recipes that say they are authentic but probably aren't. Figured I'd just see if people wanted to share something from their background.
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you like curries, I highly recommend Ragavan Iyer's book 660 Curries. He spent a year traveling around India and collecting recipes from home cooks. Everything I've cooked from that book is a winner.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Authentic is a liquid term since there are as many regional (and household) differences to cuisine as there are ethnicities. What is authentic to one family in an area isn't to another, but most will have flavor profiles that are similar.
    For Indian (vegetarian - Indians know how to do vegetarian) try Madhur Jaffrey
    Saveur Magazine has some really wonderful features from around the world with recipes to go with them http://www.saveur.com/
    Rasa Malaysia has some great Asian recipes (China, Japan, Malaysia, Viet Nam, Thailand, Korea, etc) http://rasamalaysia.com/
    Homesick Texan is great for Tex-Mex and other regional specialties
    For Greek: Argiro Barbarigou http://www.argiro.gr/recipes/ (site is in Greek, but translates pretty well)
    You might also check out David Lebovitz and Dorie Greenspan for French inspired (and some others) both are great chefs with some great recipes.

• drvignesh1
    drvignesh1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello guys I might not a great cook but found a healthy recipe...

INDIAN EGG SCRAMBLE
    it is full of protein with zero fat

Ingredients-
    4 egg whites
    Chilly powder 1 spoon
    Turmeric powder half spoon
    Green chillies
  • brandiwyliemoore
    brandiwyliemoore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Here's a French recipe, Coq au Vin. Really good and not a lot of calories. I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs.

marthastewart.com/1099359/quick-coq-au-vin-blanc