IF YOU USE SPLENDA

Options
2»

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is good with a pinch of nutmeg for a change of pace!

Fresh ground nutmeg with blueberries and maybe a teaspoon of brown sugar! YUM!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I use probably 4 tbsp per day.
    People seem really concerned with Splenda's similarity to chlorine, but it's *not* chlorine. They are still very different. Besides, chlorine is used in the human body. It's converted to chloride and used to inhibit nerve impulses (on purpose, it's a good thing).

I am allergic to stevia. :sick:
  • dixiebutterfly5913
    Options
    I use about 2-6 packets of Splenda with fiber everyday. I am not concerned about side effects. I believe that it is safe to use in moderation. I do have to wonder about 3cats mag. article though, because I have had trouble focusing here lately. It could also be low calorie intakes that causes the brain fog. I think it may be typical to have trouble focusing when you are dieting and cosuming less calories and stuff. Either way, I am not bothered enough by this to quit using splenda and I feel that the extra fiber is beneficial as well.

By the way, before Splenda ever came out and the other ones were supposedly carcinogenic I had a conversation with my college biology professor and he said that the lab rats were given what would be the equivilent to a human consuming a diesel truck-full load in a very short time span and then only some of the mice developed cancer.

Also, I don't know if everyone is aware of this, because I wasn't until I turned it in on my food diary (just to be sure) but splenda still has a few carbs in it even though it has no calories. That is kinda weird!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The only time I use splenda is when I bake...as a sugar sub and I don't bake much...other than that I like my tea black
    Same here, I use the granulated splenda, it bakes exactly like sugar, and measures cup for cup like sugar, but without the huge amounts of calories, I just made really great chocolate chip cookies with it, and banana bread yesterday.
  • Leeci
    Leeci Posts: 6
    Options
    I have used Splenda for about 5 years now and with no problems. I have never baked with it (I don't do much baking) but I do use it in iced tea (2-4 packets depending on size of iced tea), I sprinkle it on strawberries (any fruit that needs just a touch of sweetness added), sprinkle it on cereal, add it into any salad dressings that call for sugar, etc.

HOWEVER.....the Splenda in the packets tastes 100 times better than the Bulk splenda and it has a different texture. I detest the bulk....it leaves an after-taste, but the packets I find are delicious.

ANOTHER however.....I do think that it is NOT measurable spoon for spoon as the label states.....it takes LESS splenda than sugar - like if you make Kool-Aid, for one gallon of Kool-Aid it calls for 1 cup sugar - to replace with Spenda I use 1/2 to 3/4 cups Splenda instead as 1 cup makes it too sweet for my taste (also seems to depend on the flavor of the Kool-Aid - some flavors seem to need less Splenda that others...that's why I said 1/2 to 3/4 cups Splenda - like the Blue Raspberry Lemonade only needs 1/2 but the cherry seems to need 3/4).

Yes, my kids use the splenda too, and we have not experienced any side effects or anything else. Some people will tell you it's bad for you, but I just follow my own instincts. It's all in what your personal taste and thoughts are. I'm not worried about it, I prefer the taste over Stevia or Sweet N Low or any other "sweetener", and I will continue using it.
  • smalltownsquarepeg
    smalltownsquarepeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My nine year old daughter is diabetic, so we really don't have much of a choice other than using some artificial sweeteners. When we first found out (five years ago) we tried to just limit sugar and carbs because I, too, wanted to steer clear of artificials. What kind of a life is that for a kid? Birthday treat at school? No. Bubble gum? No. Fruit juice? No. Pop? No. I find, now, that relying on products that are sweetened with Splenda really make her life more normal and my life easier. She's an awesome kid, gets great grades and I've never had a complaint from a teacher that she's foggy or unfocused.

Just another 2¢ for ya!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    By the way, before Splenda ever came out and the other ones were supposedly carcinogenic I had a conversation with my college biology professor and he said that the lab rats were given what would be the equivilent to a human consuming a diesel truck-full load in a very short time span and then only some of the mice developed cancer.

Also, I don't know if everyone is aware of this, because I wasn't until I turned it in on my food diary (just to be sure) but splenda still has a few carbs in it even though it has no calories. That is kinda weird!

Right... My Organic Chemistry professor discussed the Sweet 'n Low studies... The rats basically lived in vats of saccharin. Not only did they eat it, but they also inhaled it. Extending the results of that study to humans is ridiculous.

Each packet of Splenda actually has 4 calories. But because that's less than 5, the regulators let them say zero on the box. Sneaky, huh?

And to others' points about Truvia and other "natural" sweeteners, one of them, erythritol is a sugar alcohol much like sorbitol,maltitol, mannitol, etc. Some of us - e.g. myself - have major intestinal sensitivities to sugar alcohols! I'd rather eat nutrasweet or splenda any day than even a single stick of sorbitol-sweetened gum! The whole backlash against aspartame has harmed a lot of us. And those of you complaining about gas, it might not just be the fiber - check what you eat for sugar alchohols!